Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Her Majesty the Queen has Passed Away
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:26 pm
Cheiny wrote:
You mean you have no Jewish role models to use?

Why does one contradict from the other?
And really no, we don't have that idea of the pomp of malchus. Thousands sing Yamim when a gadol walks in? Standing up quiety at the Sarah Schenirer yahrtzeit when a great mechaneches walks up to the podium?
I've heard this from other people, some of whom I respect a lot, who watch the coronation in Elul (with sound off).

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:32 pm
The Queen is dead!

gr82no

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:38 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
The Queen is death!

Where did you see that?

iyar

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:40 pm
Cheiny wrote:
You mean you have no Jewish role models to use?

Jewish role models for malchus?
No, unfortunately not.
Mashiach tzidkeinu, we wait for him every day.
Until then we don't have kings.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:40 pm
gr82no wrote:
Where did you see that?
BBC News announced at 18:33 GMT that her Majesty the Queen died this afternoon followed by a picture of the Queen and the anthem. Tomorrow the new King is coming to London.

monkeymamma

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:41 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
The Queen is death!

So if they officially announced it today and it takes time to announce it because they need to notify family and dignitaries then when did she really die? Or will we never know the exact day of her death?

sequoia

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:41 pm
gr82no wrote:
Where did you see that?

Turn on BBC Radio 4

byisrael

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:42 pm
They finally announced her death

So sad!
I really respected how hard the Queen worked and was really committed to the country and her role of being a unifying figure. I used to wish we could have that sort of figure in the Us, someone who doesn't take sides and everyone can get behind....

Though don't think Charles has the class to do that - I think he will take sides and that will be a loss to the British people

I wonder if Harry and Meagan have been waiting for her to die to really try to bring down the Royal family....

There is definitely going to be lots of drama coming down the pipeline

Ima_Shelli

Chickensoupprof wrote:
Depends on your target. If I would teach at a school with more traditional kids, I would use the media and figures they will know about.
For instance, I used with my secular family and friend the concept of Tznius in comparison with the Royals a lot. As in, if I need to meet King Willem Alexander (the Dutch king) and his wife Queen Maxima I won't do that in my sweatpants and jumper with stains of my yogurt or porridge. I will look respectable.

You’re still the (Jewish) role model in this scenario, dressing appropriately for the scenario. This is different than holding Kate up as some sort of tznius icon.

Chickensoupprof

monkeymamma wrote:
So if they officially announced it today and it takes time to announce it because they need to notify family and dignitaries then when did she really die? Or will we never know the exact day of her death?

This afternoon

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:43 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:
You’re still the (Jewish) role model in this scenario, dressing appropriately for the scenario. This is different than holding Kate up as some sort of tznius icon.

I've never said that Kate is a tznius icon.

LK1

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:44 pm
https://www.cnn.com/uk/live-ne......html

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:44 pm
byisrael wrote:
They finally announced her death

So sad!
I really respected how hard the Queen worked and was really committed to the country and her role of being a unifying figure. I used to wish we could have that sort of figure in the Us, someone who doesn't take sides and everyone can get behind....

Though don't think Charles has the class to do that - I think he will take sides and that will be a loss to the British people

I wonder if Harry and Meagan have been waiting for her to die to really try to bring down the Royal family....

There is definitely going to be lots of drama coming down the pipeline
His Aston Martin runs on leftover wine and he talks to trees.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:51 pm
Oooh twitter already calling them King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:51 pm
I just googled. It was in WaPo among other places 22 minutes ago; Prince Charles will succeed her.

keym

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 1:55 pm
Will he go by King Charles or choose a different of his names?

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:00 pm
How old is King Charles?

scruffy

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:01 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
How old is King Charles?

iyar

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:01 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:

First of all, I'm no role model. (Though you might have been correct if you had told me I'm meant to be.)
Second of all, neither I nor any other ima here held up Kate as any sort of tznius icon. It's all in writing so you can clearly see what was and what wasn't said.
On a different note, all the retrospective photos popping up are for some reason making me think of the Kindertransport. I know some of the families that owe their existence to those children making their way to Great Britain. Certainly one of the UK's finest accomplishments. I wonder in what respect that stands as a zchus for the late Queen, but those things are unknowable and not for non-role models like me to try figuring out .

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:02 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
Oooh twitter already calling them King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla.

Yeah because that is what they are now and Prince William is now Prince of Wales.

Edit: As soon as the English Monarch closes he/she his/her daughter/son is becoming the new monarch. That is how the law works.

Last edited by Chickensoupprof on Thu, Sep 08 2022, 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics