Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Poll: What would u think if a child wears this for weekday?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Would you think its weird for a kid to wear this for weekday?
It's ok for weekday  
 30%  [ 25 ]
It's total shabbos  
 69%  [ 58 ]
Total Votes : 83

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 12:46 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:
Just because someone gives a $140 price tag to a dress they sell, doesn't turn it into designerwear.

exactly and that's not the reason I would buy it. I want it because I like it. but I want it for weekday and don't wanna be weird BECAUSE IT HAS A $140 PRICE TAG.
More opinions welcome. Is it weekday or shabbos in your opinion

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 1:23 pm
It's exactly the sort of dress I hate for this exact reason. It is one of those ambiguous in between dresses that is imo, too smart for everyday, but on the fence for shabbos. I gave up buying these dresses as I couldn't deal with this question. I found I never really used the dresses as I didn't like using it everyday as it was too nice, but I wouldn't use it for shabbos either.
I'd be more inclined to say that shabbos wear is so much more casual these days, it would be more suitable for shabbos than weekday. Although, if you did use it for weekday, I don't think anyone would care.
If all the other clothes your dd has are essentially jean skirts and short sleeved tees, then wearing this dress for weekday would stand out because it's so much fancier. But if she regularly wears nicer dresses, then it's fine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 1:37 pm
delete. double post

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 2:17 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
It's exactly the sort of dress I hate for this exact reason. It is one of those ambiguous in between dresses that is imo, too smart for everyday, but on the fence for shabbos. I gave up buying these dresses as I couldn't deal with this question. I found I never really used the dresses as I didn't like using it everyday as it was too nice, but I wouldn't use it for shabbos either.
I'd be more inclined to say that shabbos wear is so much more casual these days, it would be more suitable for shabbos than weekday. Although, if you did use it for weekday, I don't think anyone would care.
If all the other clothes your dd has are essentially jean skirts and short sleeved tees, then wearing this dress for weekday would stand out because it's so much fancier. But if she regularly wears nicer dresses, then it's fine.

Thank you for your detailed response

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 2:35 pm
OP, I personally would buy DD such a dress for weekday. BUT, people in my circles aren't buying dresses for little kids for $140 so no one would know it's meant to be like that dress.

However, if people around me would be buying these expensive dresses, and it looks like you're wearing an exprensive Shabbos dress for weekday, I wouldn't do it - since I would feel it looks a bit 'trying'.

My honest answer (so no hate please from anyone, just teling OP what I would do in her situation.)

lamplighter

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 2:38 pm
I would classify this as a "chol hamoed" dress. The tier of clothing used for weekday dressy.
I would not send to school, would look a bit pretentious.

imaima

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 2:40 pm
lamplighter wrote:
I would classify this as a "chol hamoed" dress. The tier of clothing used for weekday dressy.
I would not send to school, would look a bit pretentious.

Yes
Or kids birthday party

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 2:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
louisiella. Does that automatically make it shabbos, or can it still be weekday?

If you are doubting it so much, leave it and buy something cheaper that is nicer. This doesn't look nice as shabbos IMO

Amaranth

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 3:10 pm
I would never send my daughter to school with this. And about the corduroy, I saw plenty of shabbos corduroy dresses in the jewish shops this season.
As an aside point, you mentioned you get stuff on alivibes regularly? How does the quality compare to the real thing?

DreamerForever

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 5:01 pm
The style of this dress is very shabbosdig.
For those who questioned the cord; The very fine corduroy (trending now)- which looks and feels almost like velvet- is perfectly acceptable and suitable for shabbos. It's different to a typical chunky cord dungaree style dress which is unquestionably weekday looking.

OP, being a sentimental kidswear buyer, I have often bought classic (jacadi style) dresses which I loved in the beginning, but then it felt weird when my kid would wear it on a regular Sunday or schoolday. It just seemed like she was embarrassingly overdressed.

These days I try to keep the classic and demure dresses for shabbos, or I'll use just a hint of it, and stick with sweatshirt dresses or cosy knits and cute tees.

Personally, I love getting creative with fashion. I would say if you really want to use this for weekday; remove the collar, and if you want to go further, change up those buttons... That collar screams shabbos.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 5:14 pm
dreamerforever wrote:
Personally, I love getting creative with fashion. I would say if you really want to use this for weekday; remove the collar, and if you want to go further, change up those buttons... That collar screams shabbos.
I love those ideas.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:28 pm
dreamerforever wrote:
The style of this dress is very shabbosdig.
For those who questioned the cord; The very fine corduroy (trending now)- which looks and feels almost like velvet- is perfectly acceptable and suitable for shabbos. It's different to a typical chunky cord dungaree style dress which is unquestionably weekday looking.

OP, being a sentimental kidswear buyer, I have often bought classic (jacadi style) dresses which I loved in the beginning, but then it felt weird when my kid would wear it on a regular Sunday or schoolday. It just seemed like she was embarrassingly overdressed.

These days I try to keep the classic and demure dresses for shabbos, or I'll use just a hint of it, and stick with sweatshirt dresses or cosy knits and cute tees.

Great ideas, thanx

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:30 pm
M J wrote:
I would never send my daughter to school with this. And about the corduroy, I saw plenty of shabbos corduroy dresses in the jewish shops this season.
As an aside point, you mentioned you get stuff on alivibes regularly? How does the quality compare to the real thing?

To me it's exactly the same quality and it comes with the original labels and tags.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 6:56 pm
I don’t know if u care but if u put it on for weekday it’s pretty obvious it’s not real and it’s from Ali…
And if the stores are selling it for shabbos then it’s abt the style not the price
If the style is shabbos and u got it for free it’s still shabbos…

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
ouch, it must be me... I do most of my shopping on that site (b/c I want to buy what's in, but still affordable) and I have a lotttt of questions. I opened a thread about almost each outfit I considered... Sorry if it bothers you.

Not trying to attack, but I am curious why these are such weighty decisions for you?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 8:54 pm
[quote="amother Winterberry"]If you are doubting it so much, leave it and buy something cheaper that is nicer. This doesn't look nice as shabbos IMO[/quote]

This exactly. It's been several days & you're still looking for feedback, in my experience you never regret not buying something you're questioning for so long. & for a 3 year old!!!
I get this, I like cute clothes too & I'm in town & all, but seriously no one really cares what your toddler wears.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:00 pm
Just make a decision and own it already. You’d think this was an earthshaking life event. It’s a toddler dress

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:07 pm
No need to be nasty to her. If you think it's silly just scroll and leave her alone.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:35 pm
Because I care. It makes me smile when my kids look cute. If you don't like it, skip it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 9:37 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
This exactly. It's been several days & you're still looking for feedback, in my experience you never regret not buying something you're questioning for so long. & for a 3 year old!!!
I get this, I like cute clothes too & I'm in town & all, but seriously no one really cares what your toddler wears.

no one cares, but I do. It's been a day. I asked about this less than 24 hours ago.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics