Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Bleaching 101

BennysMommy

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 9:00 am
I'm ready to start bleaching our whites after years of being afraid of bleach. Can someone explain the basics? What I should and shouldn't do. Do I really have to run the machine empty after each bleach load? Can I bleach off-white or only 100% white? Can I bleach white underwear with the gray elastic? How much bleach should I put and when? Thanks!

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 9:11 am
I think the bleach here doesn't really work that great. Crying

BennysMommy

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 9:16 am
It's not the same????

Mimisinger

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 9:26 am
Read the side of the bleach container. I usually do a huge load (even if it's not completely full) and add 1 1/4 c. bleach. I put in everything that's white and even a couple of colored things that tend to get grungy, like my light blue bathroom hand towels. If you put the bleach in that little side cup that's made for bleach, it won't all pool onto one spot of a garment. I would never use bleach on a garment that you 100% cared about, but realize that it will probably just lighten it if you put it into the side cup. If you can't do that, dilute with A LOT of water.

As for white underwear with grey elastic. It's prob. no prob. at all. 1) Because elastic is not cotton and so won't bleach as easily and 2) Even if the grey gets a little lighter, it's underwear, no one will see it.

I keep a plastic measuring cup that's labeled bleach that I keep next to the washer to make sure I get the right amt. of bleach.

Don't ever put bleach directly onto a garment. If you do, it will BLEACH whatever spot you put it on and quickly, thereafter, dunk it into A LOT of water, so it doesn't burn a hole through the garment.

If it's a tiny spot that needs to be bleached, put a little bleach into your meas. cup, and get a q-tip and dab it onto the spot. It should disappear. Then, dunk in cold water.

I used to be scared of bleach too. Now I use it and it's great!

Oh, using a measuring cup also cuts down on splashes which always ruined the skirt or shirt I was wearing. So, either be VERY careful, or, put a long undershirt of dh's that you're bleaching anyway, on, pour in the bleach, take the shirt off, throw it into the load and then close the lid.

Use the warm cycle unless it's really gross and then you can use hot, but I never do because it's expensive and not necessary.

I hope I answered all of your questions...

e1234

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:23 pm
sorry for the stupid question but can I use regular floor bleach?
and just add it to the top where I put the laundry detergent?

would you do this on your husbands/sons white shirts?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:28 pm
If your washer has a special hole for the bleach (most if not all do in the states, I don't know where you are) use that. If not, dilute the bleach in A LOT of water and then pour it in.

As for the type of bleach. Bleach is bleach, unless it has additives to it. Regular Clorox bleach or Target brand bleach are all the same. Sometimes they add a scent, I use regular.

There are products that have bleach in them. Like spray with bleach, those obv. you can't use.

Oh and #1 bleach tip.

DO NOT EVER MIX AMMONIA AND BLEACH!!!! IF YOU DO - RUN. AIR OUT THE HOUSE. BUT GET OUT FIRST. THE GASES MIX AND YOU CAN DIE!!!!

Imhappy!

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:31 pm
Thanks Mimisinger that was very imformative..
I really can use some bleach on my clothes (underwear) would you bleach pink panties (kids)??
what bleach do I buy?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry