Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Who here knows how to sew?
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 11:56 am
I see so many pple here know how to sew. I thought it was dying breed. Who do you sew for and where/by whom and when did you learn?

I learnt when I was around 12. I took lessons in a store. All the girls in my family sew. We get it from our grandmother and mother. I mostly sew for my daughter, but also for myself (when I lose weight LOL ) and used to make for my boys when they were little.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 11:58 am
I know how to sew. I don't though. I do sew hems and buttons if that counts.

sunshine!

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:00 pm
I sew. I learned from Mrs. Fishman in Flatbush. I sewed my dd skirts but I mostly do mending...

grin

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:01 pm
I used to sew, but don't have time now for any more than mending. Even that's become a dying breed. Nowadays, my neighbors either thrown things out when they tear or bring it to a seamstress

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:02 pm
pm mugisme! I know to sew too but she knows really well!

GAMZu

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:04 pm
I learned in HS (we had a class) and I immediately took to it! It came so naturally to me, and I loved it.
I wore the skirt I made in high school till it became too small on me embarrassed

I didn't have a sewing machine since I got married, but made some things by hand.
When I de-clutter and make room for a table off to the side somewhere, I'll get a sewing machine.

Rivky

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:05 pm
I sew buttons and hems. That's about it! We had sewing in school but we partied then so there it all went....

mandksima

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:09 pm
I'm teaching myself. I sew by hand because I didn't buy a machine yet. I look at clothes and see how they are put together. I made some things for me when I needed maternity and couldn't find shabbos skirts. They didn't come out so well but they're wearable, it was really hard to make something that would fit from the 5th month through the 9th. I really like making kids clothes and doll clothes. I've made jumpers and dresses and outfits for my daughter and they each have a matching doll outfit. It is so much fun. Adding the trim really makes regular items so special. Costumes too. I learned how to make patterns from existing clothes. Most things turned out well but some items are uneven (only I can tell though.) I need to perfect my techniques and then learn how to use a machine. I may want to make it into a living one of these days...

It is different way to express my art. I use to paint and make and sell Judaica but this is so much more fun, maybe because it is practical and you can see it often and get constant inspiration for more designs.

cubbie

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:21 pm
I learnt in school, my grandmother had a sewing machine and my mother has always had one, I got one when my first dd was born, and I make them clothes. I prefer to make for them than for me and I find it a really easy way to relax.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:37 pm
I taught myself how to sew ... what FUN it was ... don't do it much ... mostly fixing stuff now ...

my sonny boy taught himself how to fix pants ... a good $ gig in yeshiva before yom tov when new suits are bought ...

my favorite piece was a dress I made in a light pink cotton "waffle weave" three teired in the back ... big bow sash ... drop pointed princess waist ... a heart crochet in front center ... lace at the sleeves with boxed design to match the waffle weave ... and a flower to match the center of the pretty heart ... I could cry it was so pretty - I made 2 ...

Twizzlers

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:54 pm
I know how and have made myself a few skirts....but for the past 2 years, I've been "waiting to lose weight" so I dont do all that work and the it wont fit. (of course that means I'm left with nothing till I get to my goal weight but thats another story)
in the meantime, I do buttons and mending.
I'd love to make my kids clothes, but I have 2 boys and somehow the girls stuff seems much easier.
maybe I should look around for boys patterns...

In the kitchen

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 1:12 pm
Alas, I do not yet know how to sew (other than buttons, which doesn't really count)...

I want to learn though! My sil offered to teach me after the Summer, Im looking forward to taking her up on the offer, she is so good at it!

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 1:13 pm
a have a genetic sewing disability. sorry.

micki

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 1:14 pm
I sew, my love is gowns and shabbos clothes, which is what I mostly do. dresses for the girls, vests for the boys- I hate mending and fixing, for money I only create from scratch, mending I send the customer to my neighbor.
and I teach my girls, and boys!

In the kitchen

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 1:15 pm
chaylizi wrote:
a have a genetic sewing disability. sorry.

LOL

freidasima

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 1:37 pm
I sew, learned from a girlfriend in high school and since then make my own clothes and things for the girls. As for boys stuff, no way, no pants, no shirts, but I do make my dh's pyjamas.

I sew fast and in my non existent spare time...it doesn't hurt that we have a fabric store with cheap and plentiful remnants not far from where I work...today I picked up three remnants and will soon have three new skirts for "sale" for the girls...they pick and choose, I make elastic waists and as all the girls are the same height it's less of a problem.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 1:40 pm
I can't even sew a button on a shirt. embarrassed But I would love to really learn how to sew one of these days. I think it's such a wonderful skill to have.

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 1:42 pm
freidasima wrote:
I sew, learned from a girlfriend in high school and since then make my own clothes and things for the girls. As for boys stuff, no way, no pants, no shirts, but I do make my dh's pyjamas.

I sew fast and in my non existent spare time...it doesn't hurt that we have a fabric store with cheap and plentiful remnants not far from where I work...today I picked up three remnants and will soon have three new skirts for "sale" for the girls...they pick and choose, I make elastic waists and as all the girls are the same height it's less of a problem.

Do you find that it's cheaper than buying the clothing?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:25 pm
I sew - you can see my latests project here: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....48239

And I've done medieval garb like this:

The tunic I'm wearing and the baby's garb (tunic, tabard and coif)

greenfire

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 2:31 pm
I've sewn boys stuff ... but it is very very hard ... more detailed ... girly poufs are way easier ...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics