Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Are you going to the queens funeral?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

milko

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 5:43 pm
We have on Monday a bank holiday in honour of the funeral. I was thinking of going.

realtalk

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 6:11 pm
I’m in America but I definitely plan on watching a live stream.

One of our last opportunities to see how to treat malchus

s1

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 6:12 pm
I’m not in London so we’ll be watching it at home. Even if I was in London I’d think twice about going, to get a good spot you’d probably have to camp out overnight, and public transport will be crammed. On the other hand, it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity, and the precision and pageantry will be awesome, a display of kovod Malchus right in time for Rosh hashana

4g01o

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 6:16 pm
No Smile
But the queues just to see the coffin are hours and hours long at the moment.
I'm going to watch it from the comfort of my couch.

All schools, and shops are closing. Even the kosher grocery stores are shut between 11-2

zoom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 6:21 pm
Fab4 wrote:
No Smile
But the queues just to see the coffin are hours and hours long at the moment.
I'm going to watch it from the comfort of my couch.

All schools, and shops are closing. Even the kosher grocery stores are shut between 11-2

In Manchester?
Not when I asked yesterday.

Even petrol stations are closing!.
Its not a regular bank holiday!

I know a few ofsted playgroups that are open, very surprised.

I would love to go if I was in london. But logistically its quite a trek. It will be packed and crowded and probably if you go you wont be able to get anywhere near to anything happening. Just be stuck in crowds.
It is a once in a lifetime though. I would love to b there.

4g01o

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 6:24 pm
zoom wrote:
In Manchester?
Not when I asked yesterday.

Even petrol stations are closing!.
Its not a regular bank holiday!

I know a few ofsted playgroups that are open, very surprised.

I would love to go if I was in london. But logistically its quite a trek. It will be packed and crowded and probably if you go you wont be able to get anywhere near to anything happening. Just be stuck in crowds.
It is a once in a lifetime though. I would love to b there.

Yes I'm in Manchester.
Asked who? My local grocery store is closing for those 3 hours. Tesco, aldi etc open at 5pm.
I'd never go to the funeral because I hate queuing and being squished in crowds for a few minutes, let alone hours or even days Very Happy

Wow I'm very surprised that some playgroups are staying open.

zoom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 6:30 pm
Quote:
Wow I'm very surprised that some playgroups are staying open

I know, I think its wromg and a chillul Hashem.
The rabbonim are saying schools should all be closed. At least for the morning.

I was at a shop yesterday and the cashier thought thought they wouldnt be closed. But it does make sense for it to be closed between 11-2.

4g01o

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 6:40 pm
zoom wrote:
Quote:
Wow I'm very surprised that some playgroups are staying open

I know, I think its wromg and a chillul Hashem.
The rabbonim are saying schools should all be closed. At least for the morning.

I was at a shop yesterday and the cashier thought thought they wouldnt be closed. But it does make sense for it to be closed between 11-2.

Maybe some are open.
I agree, it's a chillul Hashem

zoom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 7:06 pm
In a way, Id rather go to the queens lying in state if we were allowed to...

Would love to step into the grand cathedral and pay my respects.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:40 pm
Nope. Not watching on zoom or TV, either. Of course, I am in the US of A and consider the "royal" family a big yawn. I admired the late Queen but I didn't worship her.

For the ima who said it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, how old are you? Because Chucky boy, I mean, excuse me, King Charles III of England, is 73. If he is as long-lived as his mum, he's got 23 years ahead of him. Figure modern medicine may give him an extra 5 years. So in 28 years, give or take, you'll have a second chance.

Ruchi

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 9:57 pm
I read from Harav Zimmerman Shlit"a that it's not permitted to watch the funeral service taking place in Westminster Abbey.

Ruchi

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:04 pm
The Chedorim are all remaining open in Stamford Hill by order of the UOHC Rabbinate.
The regular transportation will not be provided for the day.

This will make it very obvious to the non Jews, when they witness first thing in the morning, (and later in the afternoon) hundreds of boys making their way to school (with their visible school backpacks) on the local streets and surrounding areas.

They suggest that the boys be given a speech on the Queens legacy.

They advised that a Union Jack flag be prominently displayed on the mosdos. Though, they failed to mention that it should be at half mast.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:16 pm
zaq wrote:
Nope. Not watching on zoom or TV, either. Of course, I am in the US of A and consider the "royal" family a big yawn. I admired the late Queen but I didn't worship her.

For the ima who said it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, how old are you? Because Chucky boy, I mean, excuse me, King Charles III of England, is 73. If he is as long-lived as his mum, he's got 23 years ahead of him. Figure modern medicine may give him an extra 5 years. So in 28 years, give or take, you'll have a second chance.

It’s a once in a lifetime to see such a funeral for a queen who reigned for so long.
The amount of people that will turn up - only because of this situation (70 years as queen). And so on.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 10:42 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
It’s a once in a lifetime to see such a funeral for a queen who reigned for so long.
The amount of people that will turn up - only because of this situation (70 years as queen). And so on.

If rabbanim are saying not to watch (and it's your rabbanim) it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be moser nefesh to do the right thing. Not that we won't have other opportunities but not this particular one.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:07 pm
Ruchi wrote:
I read from Harav Zimmerman Shlit"a that it's not permitted to watch the funeral service taking place in Westminster Abbey.

I’m curious, why? Is it because it’s a church?

Ruchi

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:23 pm
PeanutMama wrote:
I’m curious, why? Is it because it’s a church?

Probably so and I guess with a cross or two around.

Lego80

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:28 pm
I would just watch it on TV and avoid the crowds.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:31 pm
Ruchi wrote:
Probably so and I guess with a cross or two around.

makes sense. Thanks for sharing

kenz

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 11:37 pm
I’m American so I obviously don’t have any sort of loyalty or intrinsic feelings towards British royalty, but I have zero interest in any of this and most certainly would not go - queen or no queen - to “pay my respects.”

camp123

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:06 am
I'm British, I respect the institution of the Queen and think she did a great job. But, I'm a jew first, why would I have any interest in going to her funeral. At the end of the day I didn't know her, have no kesher to her and whilst she did a job of portraying what malchus means she is not the real malchus. I find it midly amusing for people who didn't know her personally to be so sad at her death.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics