Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Are you going to the queens funeral?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

bassarah

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:27 am
Don’t live in the UK but still quite fascinated with the Royals. (Down to the Kate and Meghan skirmish Smile
If I had a choice I would much rather be by the King’s coronation (whenever that may be) than the funeral.

s1

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 2:33 am
I haven’t seen or heard about R’ Zimmerman’s psak, however there is still the procession from Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey that I guess could be watched?

I understand that playgroups could still be open, not everyone has the day off (eg NHS services are still mostly running) so people would need childcare and I don’t think it would cause a chillul Hashem. Seeing kids going to school would though, Rav Horowitz (satmar rov) and R’ Gavriel Knopfler in Manchester, and R Avrohom Gurwicz in Gateshead have said all schools should be closed, however I’ve heard some are planning to have classes in peoples houses. I guess they don’t want to miss a day of learning , which I do understand.

To the ima in the USA who doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about: it’s a British thing. there are many many things about the USA that I would never even try to understand 😉 😉 😉

4g01o

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:17 am
zoom wrote:
In a way, Id rather go to the queens lying in state if we were allowed to...

Would love to step into the grand cathedral and pay my respects.

Me too.
The queue is now over 14 hours long Confused

4g01o

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:21 am
Ruchi wrote:
I read from Harav Zimmerman Shlit"a that it's not permitted to watch the funeral service taking place in Westminster Abbey.

Interesting. He's not my Rav.
We're planning to watch it live at home with the kids (teens and younger) if they don't want to watch it they can go play. My dh said we can't go out on a trip to the park at the time of the funeral. It's so disrespectful!
This isn't a regular bank holiday and the kids should know that.

4g01o

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:23 am
camp123 wrote:
I'm British, I respect the institution of the Queen and think she did a great job. But, I'm a jew first, why would I have any interest in going to her funeral. At the end of the day I didn't know her, have no kesher to her and whilst she did a job of portraying what malchus means she is not the real malchus. I find it midly amusing for people who didn't know her personally to be so sad at her death.

She was a very good Queen to us Jews too!
We live in a 'free' country and especially as Jews we should show our respects to HM.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:45 am
Ruchi wrote:
I read from Harav Zimmerman Shlit"a that it's not permitted to watch the funeral service taking place in Westminster Abbey.
I know there is an issur to ENTER a church, but why to watch sonething with a church in it?

zoom

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 6:21 am
s1 wrote:
I haven’t seen or heard about R’ Zimmerman’s psak, however there is still the procession from Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey that I guess could be watched?

I understand that playgroups could still be open, not everyone has the day off (eg NHS services are still mostly running) so people would need childcare and I don’t think it would cause a chillul Hashem. Seeing kids going to school would though, Rav Horowitz (satmar rov) and R’ Gavriel Knopfler in Manchester, and R Avrohom Gurwicz in Gateshead have said all schools should be closed, however I’ve heard some are planning to have classes in peoples houses. I guess they don’t want to miss a day of learning , which I do understand.

To the ima in the USA who doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about: it’s a British thing. there are many many things about the USA that I would never even try to understand 😉 😉 😉

The playgroups that I know are open because bshittah they dont take off bank holidays.

Afaik none of those parents have nhs jobs.

I do think its a chillul Hashem.

And to miss ONE day of learning? They can do just the afternoon!

I know someome specifically planning a playgroup in her house for the morning to make some money. I dont think its the right thing to do.

kenz

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 7:17 am
s1 wrote:

That makes two of us!

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 7:27 am
Fab4 wrote:
Me too.
The queue is now over 14 hours long Confused

I heard that the queue is closed for the next few hours. So people are now queuing to get into the queue? How very British.

fleetwood

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 7:37 am
Btw..for the younger members..when Presidents pass away..we also have banks closed in the U.S. I remember Reagan and Nixon.

sequoia

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 7:40 am
Didn’t Ford die pretty recently?

4g01o

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 7:45 am
Elfrida wrote:
I heard that the queue is closed for the next few hours. So people are now queuing to get into the queue? How very British.

Oh hilarious!

fleetwood

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 7:49 am
sequoia wrote:
Didn’t Ford die pretty recently?

Yes..him too!!

zoom

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:28 am
This is by far the best thing I have read about this weeks events in the UK: CuriousIguana tweeted: "Right, everyone. I need to be serious for a moment. Because the greatest thing that ever happened is happening right now. I don't particularly care either way about the Queen. But the queue? The Queue is a triumph of Britishness. It's incredible.
"Just to be clear: I don't mean the purpose of the queue. I don't mean the outpouring of emotion or collective gried or the event at the end and around the queue or the people in the queue. I mean, literally, the queue. The queue itself. It's like something from Douglas Adams.
"It is the motherlode of queues. It is art. It is poetry. It is the queue to end all queues. It opened earlier today and is already 2.2 miles long. They will close it if it gets to FIVE MILES. That's a queue that would take TWO HOURS TO WALK at a brisk pace.
"It is a queue that goes right through the entirety of London. It has toilets and water points and websites just for The Queue. You cannot leave The Queue. You cannot get into The Queue further down. You cannot hold places in The Queue. There are wristbands for The Queue.Once you join The Queue you can expect to be there for days. But you cannot have a chair and a sleeping bag. There is no sleeping in The Queue, for The Queue moves constantly and steadily, day and night. You will be shuffling along at 0.1 miles per hour for days.
"There is a YouTube channel, Twitter feed and Instagram page, each giving frequent updates about The Queue. Because the back of The Queue, naturally, keeps moving. To join The Queue requires up to the minute knowledge of where The Queue is now.
"The BBC has live coverage of The Queue on BBC One, and a Red Button service showing the front bit of The Queue. NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD JOIN THE QUEUE AND YET STILL THEY COME. "Oh, it'll only be until 6am on Thursday, we can take soup".
"And the end of the queue is a box. You will walk past the box, slowly, but for no more than a minute. Then you will exit into the London drizzle and make your way home.Tell me this isn't the greatest bit of British performance art that has ever happened? I'm giddy with joy. It's fantastic. We are a deeply, deeply mad people with an absolutely unshakeable need to join a queue. It's utterly glorious."

I saw this on another chat.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:33 am
PinkFridge wrote:
If rabbanim are saying not to watch (and it's your rabbanim) it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be moser nefesh to do the right thing. Not that we won't have other opportunities but not this particular one.

Which rabbanim are saying not to watch? One person said one rav said not to.
Personally my family is all going to be watching and half of them are rabbanim themselves.

Ruchi

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:54 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
Which rabbanim are saying not to watch? One person said one rav said not to.
Personally my family is all going to be watching and half of them are rabbanim themselves.

Rav Zimmerman said it's not permitted to watch the service at the church

4g01o

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:10 am
zoom wrote:
This is by far the best thing I have read about this weeks events in the UK: CuriousIguana tweeted: "Right, everyone. I need to be serious for a moment. Because the greatest thing that ever happened is happening right now. I don't particularly care either way about the Queen. But the queue? The Queue is a triumph of Britishness. It's incredible.
"Just to be clear: I don't mean the purpose of the queue. I don't mean the outpouring of emotion or collective gried or the event at the end and around the queue or the people in the queue. I mean, literally, the queue. The queue itself. It's like something from Douglas Adams.
"It is the motherlode of queues. It is art. It is poetry. It is the queue to end all queues. It opened earlier today and is already 2.2 miles long. They will close it if it gets to FIVE MILES. That's a queue that would take TWO HOURS TO WALK at a brisk pace.
"It is a queue that goes right through the entirety of London. It has toilets and water points and websites just for The Queue. You cannot leave The Queue. You cannot get into The Queue further down. You cannot hold places in The Queue. There are wristbands for The Queue.Once you join The Queue you can expect to be there for days. But you cannot have a chair and a sleeping bag. There is no sleeping in The Queue, for The Queue moves constantly and steadily, day and night. You will be shuffling along at 0.1 miles per hour for days.
"There is a YouTube channel, Twitter feed and Instagram page, each giving frequent updates about The Queue. Because the back of The Queue, naturally, keeps moving. To join The Queue requires up to the minute knowledge of where The Queue is now.
"The BBC has live coverage of The Queue on BBC One, and a Red Button service showing the front bit of The Queue. NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD JOIN THE QUEUE AND YET STILL THEY COME. "Oh, it'll only be until 6am on Thursday, we can take soup".
"And the end of the queue is a box. You will walk past the box, slowly, but for no more than a minute. Then you will exit into the London drizzle and make your way home.Tell me this isn't the greatest bit of British performance art that has ever happened? I'm giddy with joy. It's fantastic. We are a deeply, deeply mad people with an absolutely unshakeable need to join a queue. It's utterly glorious."

Omg!!! Love it!
LOL
But how can people not sleep for days?!
I don't get this queue lol. Sounds like a nightmare queue Very Happy

DreamerForever

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:25 am
zoom wrote:
"And the end of the queue is a box. You will walk past the box, slowly, but for no more than a minute. Then you will exit into the London drizzle and make your way home. Tell me this isn't the greatest bit of British performance art that has ever happened? I'm giddy with joy. It's fantastic. We are a deeply, deeply mad people with an absolutely unshakeable need to join a queue. It's utterly glorious."

This is just brilliant! I bolded my favourite sentences.

I always wonder WHO are the humans who actually go to these crowd mobbed royal events-- like are they REAL to go through all this craziness of waiting around for days to get a good spot in that chaos?

In theory I would love to go. But intense (or even mild) crowds are not for me. Plus I gotta watch my kids who are home from school for the day, so will have to watch from home.

But yes, Americans- this is a monarch who we have known all our lives-- even both my parents' lives. Living in London especially makes this mean a lot to all of us, even if we are Yidden first and foremost.

My daughters' (chassidish) school showed them a video of the queen's life, which the girls (aged 5-7) loved.

4g01o

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:34 am
https://www.google.com/amp/s/n.....98799

The overflow for the queue have been put into a holding pen 🤣 these people must be nuts!

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:43 am
dreamerforever wrote:

I always wonder WHO are the humans who actually go to these crowd mobbed royal events-- like are they REAL to go through all this craziness of waiting around for days to get a good spot in that chaos?.

My father and some of his friends went to Horse Guards Parade to watch the procession on Wednesday. He said the crowds were very well behaved, and it was well worth the wait.

He got some great photos of it all, including the State Crown and the Royal Family.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics