Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Are you going to the queens funeral?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:51 am
sequoia wrote:
Didn’t Ford die pretty recently?

President Ford? 2006.

sequoia

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:06 am
PinkFridge wrote:
President Ford? 2006.

Yes. Well. We forgot Bush Senior.

fleetwood

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:08 am
sequoia wrote:
Yes. Well. We forgot Bush Senior.

I mentioned Reagan and Nixon bec I vividly remember the banks and markets being closed that day

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:08 am
Ruchi wrote:
Rav Zimmerman said it's not permitted to watch the service at the church

He’s one rav. Not multiple rabbanim. Oh and I know of a Jew or two (frum!) that will be IN the abbey TMI . Again, one rav is not many.

DreamerForever

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:33 am
Elfrida wrote:
My father and some of his friends went to Horse Guards Parade to watch the procession on Wednesday. He said the crowds were very well behaved, and it was well worth the wait.

He got some great photos of it all, including the State Crown and the Royal Family.

Wow. I agree that it's worth the wait. I was at the State Opening of Parliament a couple of times, and it's fabulous.
But those crowds, and all that waiting overnight at the Royal Weddings and such... It exhausts me just looking at it.

zoom

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:39 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
He’s one rav. Not multiple rabbanim. Oh and I know of a Jew or two (frum!) that will be IN the abbey TMI . Again, one rav is not many.

Oh gosh forgot about that!.

What about the chief rabbi?

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:40 am
dreamerforever wrote:
Wow. I agree that it's worth the wait. I was at the State Opening of Parliament a couple of times, and it's fabulous.
But those crowds, and all that waiting overnight at the Royal Weddings and such... It exhausts me just looking at it.

He said that instead of standing in the queue and shuffling forwards slowly for hours on end, they may as well stand in one place for a couple of hours and let the Queen go past them!

DreamerForever

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:41 am
zoom wrote:

I remember seeing (on video) the Chief Rabbi in the abbey at the Royal Wedding so it can't be totally forbidden.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:41 am
pzoom wrote:

He is normally there on these occasions. Frequently he leads the procession of ecclesiasticals, so as not to be following the cross.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:43 am
dreamerforever wrote:
I remember seeing (on video) the Chief Rabbi in the abbey at the Royal Wedding so it can't be totally forbidden.

It’s not. Some don’t allow it but some do when it comes to doing what must be done. Ie it would be a huge disrespect to NOT be there. If I’m not mistaken the chief rabbi will be there.

DreamerForever

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:48 am
Elfrida wrote:
He said that instead of standing in the queue and shuffling forwards slowly for hours on end, they may as well stand in one place for a couple of hours and let the Queen go past them!

True Very Happy. Around how old is he?

Last edited by DreamerForever on Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

zoom

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:49 am
Elfrida wrote:
He is normally there on these occasions. Frequently he leads the procession of ecclesiasticals, so as not to be following the cross.

The what? Sorry Confused

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:50 am
dreamerforever wrote:
True Very Happy. Around how old is your he?

Mid seventies!

He remembers watching the Coronation in black and white.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:52 am
zoom wrote:
The what? Sorry Confused

The ecelesiastcal representatives.

The leaders of the church and other religious denominations. People like the Archbishop of Canterbury and so on.

DreamerForever

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 10:58 am
Elfrida wrote:
Mid seventies!

He remembers watching the Coronation in black and white.

Wow, that's fantastic Smile . I asked 'cos it seems to me that the most patriotic folks are those in that age bracket. probably because they saw her through her entire reign. It's great that he has the energy to do that!

4g01o

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 11:15 am
dreamerforever wrote:
Wow, that's fantastic Smile . I asked 'cos it seems to me that the most patriotic folks are those in that age bracket. probably because they saw her through her entire reign. It's great that he has the energy to do that!

My mother is in her late 50's and is as patriotic as they get.

My grandmother is early 90's knH, she was at the coronation!

She wasn't that bothered when she heard about the death.

Both from London.

ilic

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 11:43 am
Dh was talking about maybe going but then we heard about the Queue he very quickly dropped the idea. I watched clips of people queuing overnight in the rain. What can I say it sounds deranged. But then I thought about the 'crazy' things we do and maybe it's not so different. The way they spoke it sounds like the monarchy feels like a higher purpose to them, and they all said that seeing the coffin was so meaningful to them in diff ways.

People are already camping out for the funeral! I was planning on having it on at home for whoever wants to watch, I've done the same for other events like the jubilee eg. But my kids said they were told in school not to use the internet to watch it What
Girls have no school, boys have half day on Monday. The streets are going to be very quiet. Very odd feeling to have all the shops etc closed, but I'm seeing it as an opportunity to get ahead with yt cooking.

zoom

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 11:50 am
ilic wrote:
Dh was talking about maybe going but then we heard about the Queue he very quickly dropped the idea. I watched clips of people queuing overnight in the rain. What can I say it sounds deranged. But then I thought about the 'crazy' things we do and maybe it's not so different. The way they spoke it sounds like the monarchy feels like a higher purpose to them, and they all said that seeing the coffin was so meaningful to them in diff ways.

People are already camping out for the funeral! I was planning on having it on at home for whoever wants to watch, I've done the same for other events like the jubilee eg. But my kids said they were told in school not to use the internet to watch it What
Girls have no school, boys have half day on Monday. The streets are going to be very quiet. Very odd feeling to have all the shops etc closed, but I'm seeing it as an opportunity to get ahead with yt cooking.

Do your boys have morning or afternon?

DreamerForever

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:08 pm
Fab4 wrote:
My mother is in her late 50's and is as patriotic as they get.

My grandmother is early 90's knH, she was at the coronation!

She wasn't that bothered when she heard about the death.

Both from London.

Guess I should stop generalising Smile

I think the funniest part of this queue thing is the way everyone looks so poker-faced and polite, and well behaved. I'm picturing an Israeli version of this Surprised

Long live the King!

Ruchi

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 12:16 pm
dreamerforever wrote:

The Chief Rabbi is a controversial figure. He has had the Posek Harav Sternbuch Shlit"a send him a strong letter of condemnation for something he had given a green light for.
The Chief Rabbi is not mainstream ultra orthodox.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics