Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O what did you get for YT thread
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 9:59 am
Someone gave me a gift card from the local tzedaka to buy new clothes for myself. As embarrassing as that is, I really appreciate it. However, considering the outrageous prices at Jewish maternity stores, I don't expect it to go very far.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 10:01 am
giftedmom wrote:
Hate shopping for myself. I usually just get a robe. Otherwise I only get shabbos outfits when I really need.

I’m not a robe person in general, but I got a new one last week. I am 8+ months pregnant, but it’s a stretchy one that will hopefully shrink down after.
I don’t have the patience to go shopping for myself, and I’m not buying myself something to wear only for a couple of months, that’s a waste.
For my kids, they get new for Rosh hashana/succos, and pesach. BH that are all growing, and also can’t really wear their very summery clothes in the winter.

ChalieB

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 10:09 am
I got a new, pretty maternity dress from Target, and I'm so excited to wear it for Chag! I was worried I wouldn't have time to get anything new.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 10:13 am
amother Periwinkle wrote:
All I can say for now ,is that kids grow from year to year and adults dont.

Some adults do Crying

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
So then what exactly do you wear?

I unfortunately really don't have much. I try and I try and I try (maybe im.not looking at the right stores 🤷‍♀️), and it's just really hard for me right now. I'm very sad shabbos morning, I didn't go to a kiddush recently (made sure to bring something over before shabbos and shmoozed w the mom), but yes, I'm not giving up, I'm still looking, and I hope to be able to find a couple things soon.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:07 pm
imaima wrote:
Well it’s actually dh‘s job to give you a gift.
You can just have him give you a piece of jewelry
So you dont have to shop

Meanwhile, back on planet reality, many people have spouses who don’t buy gifts. I recall numerous threads about this over the years. Furthermore, if a woman doesn’t want clothes for YT, she might tell her spouse not to bother.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 12:10 pm
imaima wrote:
So what?
The premise of the thread is that OP has always known that people get new clothes for chagim. My reply supports this idea since it is rooted in the mesora. People who don’t want to get new clothes can do as they please but they shouldn’t put down those who do things with clear sources.

I like shopping so I am makpid on these halachot Smile

I don’t see anybody putting others down for liking new clothes on YT. I see this thread more as validating those who don’t want new clothes. It is ok not to want new clothes at YT even if it is what it is expected.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:07 pm
So maybe its the TYPE of community you live in op, if thats all what everyone talks about.
And not because its an inyan to buy new clothes for ymtv.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:24 pm
Someone posted above that she'll buy new clothing for a simcha but not YT. That's something I don't do. I buy new things for YT and then afterwards wear them at simchas.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 1:46 pm
I buy new clothes for yomtov and I talk about it if it interests the other party.

and no, everyone is not in the stores.
we have 50,000+ men women and children in our community.
Do you think they fit into "all" our Jewish owned stores, yomtov season???

I am starting a thread about enjoying the resurgence of Jewish life after the SHoah.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:45 pm
I got new bras!!!!!!
Feeling like a princess

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 3:01 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
I got new bras!!!!!!
Feeling like a princess

From where? I need new.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 3:26 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
I got new bras!!!!!!
Feeling like a princess

Oh I forgot about that, I got two new bras as well, from a local lingerie place.

Shmoozinator

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:09 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I often don't get myself anything for YT. I tend to buy something for a simcha and then wear it for 4 years. Right or wrong, I don't know, but I am able to find cheaper for my kids and I enjoy dressing them up. It would cost me 4x as much to buy for myself. This season I BH am finally in maternity again and found myself with literally nothing to wear. 2 shabbos dresses and a robe cost $500.

Ive tried shein and target. Their stuff never works for me.

Check out pinkblush! That's where I got all my maternity from, they have cute things and easy returns

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:19 pm
2 robes and a pair of slippers. I enjoy pretty and comfortable clothes for around the house that are elegant enough for YT.

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:27 pm
How do some of you keep wearing the same things for years without looking worn out? Most of the items I buy expire after a season of constant wearing and so I have to get a lot every season.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:30 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
All I can say for now ,is that kids grow from year to year and adults dont.

Some adults do too Punch

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:31 pm
I don't have a lot of money so I put my kids first and buy clothes for them if they need something new. I always put them first, of course I like new clothes but sometimes all I have is enough for them(or not even that) so I use last year's or whatever old outfit I have.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:53 pm
I would love to get something new for YT, DH is encouraging me too, but I'm a terrible shopper and it's stressful and I actually even tried a few stores and didn't see anything I liked. So I didn't get anything new for YT. Not yet, at least, and I don't really have time to keep trying - it all went down the drain and now I'm behind at work and the house is a mess and I just feel frustrated.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 4:55 pm
Oh yeah and I tried to get new bras too, since y'all mentioned it, and failed at that as well because I put on just enough weight to not be my usual size but not enough weight to be the next size even though the lady in the highly recommended fitting store tried different brands - I was between sizes or just wrong in everything.

I need 2 days off with a personal shopper...
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics