Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Can you recommend a high school for my daughter
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:42 pm
I'm planning to move to the Lakewood area in time for the '23-'24 school year.
I have a daughter in 8th grade who is dyslexic but very bright with an amazing memory.
She is currently in a BY in Brooklyn with a special ed program.
I'm looking for recommendations where to apply for high school.
Thanks!

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:43 pm
Where do you have connections? That's the main issue

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:44 pm
Chedvas,
Bnos basya
Tiferes miriam

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:46 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Chedvas,
Bnos basya
Tiferes miriam

Is Tiferes Miriam new? I've never heard of it

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:50 pm
How will she get the help she needs? We don't have those programs here.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 8:59 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
Is Tiferes Miriam new? I've never heard of it

Its actually in bklyn, but they specialize in helping girls who need to be taught differently

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:05 pm
Its actually in bklyn, but they specialize in helping girls who need to be taught differently

Excellent school I know that one, I thought you were referring to something in lakewood.

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:18 pm
I’m going to say it..straight like it is..from one Jewish mother to another:

If at all possible, Please do not move to Lakewood!!

We don’t have schools (certainly not high schools) that accommodate special needs students, like Brooklyn does.

Your daughter will be far better off in Brooklyn.

A school like Tiferes Miriam might be a good fit. Unfortunately Lakewood does not have anything remotely similar to this.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:18 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
Excellent school I know that one, I thought you were referring to something in lakewood.

My daughter, 9th grader has a friend thats in tiferes miriam now from lkwd, they couldnt find a school that would accommodate her..

Op, maybe its best to stay in bklyn?

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 9:32 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
We don’t have schools (certainly not high schools) that accommodate special needs students, like Brooklyn does.
My daughters in upper elementary and already there's basically nothing available for her. Bklyn has so much more than maybe we ever will.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:15 pm
I have valid reasons for leaving Brooklyn.

As an aside, my daughter is begging to go to a regular school. I’m sure she won’t be the only girl in all of Lakewood to have her issues. The program she has been in for the last many years has helped her immensely and she is ready to move on.

The BY she presently attends is a yeshivish Flatbush type school although my husband is chassidish (unaffiliated with any specific chassidus). I identify as heimishe Smile

So we are kind of out of the box.

(My boys go to generic chassidish schools)

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:28 pm
It may be a big stretch OP but I would recommend Bais Kaila.

I have a niece who is very smart but pre-dyslexic (so I'm not sure how she compares to your DD, hers may have been more mild). She did AMAZING in BK. She isn't academic but she's capable and has a great personality and is very responsible, so much so that she was head of one of the big 3 (being deliberately vague, but she had one of the top 3 big jobs as a senior.) She was respected for her talents and really flourished.

She is also from a heimish family and there is a small heimish clientele in BK. More like regular BY girls whose father/brothers are heimish. My nephew (brother of this niece) went to a Chasidish/heimish yeshiva for example. Father wears gartel on Shabbos but not levush.

It's possible it could work for you. I guess I should say, if you can get in. But I would suggest it as an option to look into.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 2:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have valid reasons for leaving Brooklyn.

As an aside, my daughter is begging to go to a regular school. I’m sure she won’t be the only girl in all of Lakewood to have her issues. The program she has been in for the last many years has helped her immensely and she is ready to move on.

The BY she presently attends is a yeshivish Flatbush type school although my husband is chassidish (unaffiliated with any specific chassidus). I identify as heimishe Smile

So we are kind of out of the box.

(My boys go to generic chassidish schools)

Can you clearly explain the type of help you imagine she will need in high school?

Some schools offer tracking (for at least some subjects). The ‘lowest’ track can include less intense work, more English vs Hebrew in limudei kodesh, modified tests, etc. If that is all she needs, there might be some options. If she needs more than that, or real individualized learning/private tutor, you might be less successful here.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:55 pm
Quote:
Can you clearly explain the type of help you imagine she will need in high school?

Some schools offer tracking (for at least some subjects). The ‘lowest’ track can include less intense work, more English vs Hebrew in limudei kodesh, modified tests, etc. If that is all she needs, there might be some options. If she needs more than that, or real individualized learning/private tutor, you might be less successful here.

I imagine a 'lowest' track could be excellent for her, maybe modified tests. What schools do you recommend?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:56 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
It may be a big stretch OP but I would recommend Bais Kaila.

I have a niece who is very smart but pre-dyslexic (so I'm not sure how she compares to your DD, hers may have been more mild). She did AMAZING in BK. She isn't academic but she's capable and has a great personality and is very responsible, so much so that she was head of one of the big 3 (being deliberately vague, but she had one of the top 3 big jobs as a senior.) She was respected for her talents and really flourished.

She is also from a heimish family and there is a small heimish clientele in BK. More like regular BY girls whose father/brothers are heimish. My nephew (brother of this niece) went to a Chasidish/heimish yeshiva for example. Father wears gartel on Shabbos but not levush.

It's possible it could work for you. I guess I should say, if you can get in. But I would suggest it as an option to look into.

Thank you. I appreciate the recommendation Smile

Last edited by amother on Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:57 pm
Chedvas,
Bnos basya
Tiferes miriam

Thanks for the recommendations.

I do know about Tiferes Miriam. I would not want to have her dorm in Brooklyn for 9th grade.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 5:59 pm
I would recommend Chedvas. They really care about each girl individually, not about how smart or talented she is. They have tracks and they're realistic about how much each girl is capable of.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 7:18 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
I would recommend Chedvas. They really care about each girl individually, not about how smart or talented she is. They have tracks and they're realistic about how much each girl is capable of.

This would be my recommendation, as well. Chedvas is also very good at making sure that the girls are not ‘defined’ by their track.

keym

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 7:24 pm
OP im going to go the other way.
Bais Yaakov and Oros are both known for challenging academics.
I believe Shiras Devorah is also quite academic.
I think Aderes also has a quite academic slant.

Now all of these schools do have modified programs, lower tracks, and tutors.
Some are better than others at the modified. In some of these schools, modified is acceptable, some modified is kind of embarrassing.

However be aware in these 4 schools and even if you can get in, ask questions.

My daughter is in 11th grade, so I'm not so up to date with the academic level in the newer schools (Maayanos, Meiras, and Bais Faiga high school)

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Sep 19 2022, 7:31 pm
Chedvas is most to the left so to speak on the spectrum among the schools.
You have to know the crowd and what is the norm there in terms of technology and cultural exposure.

Speaking from experience. My kid went there for a while before refusing to go back.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries