Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Afula - New Anglo Community
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:42 am
Afula community is now marketing in RBS.

They are asking for a 200+ shekel donation to come hear about the community event.

Tzedakah orgs don't even ask for than much for an event. I've never seen a suggested donation for over 50 shekels. And like it's to just hear about a community.

This place just sounds weirder and weirder.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/.....4849/

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:47 am
amother Valerian wrote:

They are asking for a 200+ shekel donation to come hear about the community event.

Tzedakah orgs don't even ask for than much for an event. I've never seen a suggested donation for over 50 shekels. And like it's to just hear about a community.

LOL I just saw this. It's tacky- I've never heard of a suggested donation at an event to hear about a new community. That being said, who gives 200 nis?? That's a lot of money especially to ask of families during the chagim.

I'll take my 200 nis and go out for a nice dinner instead Smile

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:55 am
amother Valerian wrote:

Doesn't "suggested donation" mean it's not mandatory?

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:59 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:

Correct but it's still tacky to ask that amount

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:01 am
amother Pear wrote:
LOL I just saw this. It's tacky- I've never heard of a suggested donation at an event to hear about a new community. That being said, who gives 200 nis?? That's a lot of money especially to ask of families during the chagim.

I'll take my 200 nis and go out for a nice dinner instead Smile

The 200 shekel 'suggested' donation is so weird. For bagels and some speeches?
The whole concept is strange and I can't imagine people are going to leave their families on a chol hamoed evening for this.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:06 am
I saw the Flyer. They are having a few speakers. Rabbi Cadle, Rabbi Gold, Rabbi Berman, Rabbi Myers from RBS .The money is probably going to cover bagel platters, drinks, setting up with Chad Pa'ami . It all adds up.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:08 am
amother Pear wrote:
Correct but it's still tacky to ask that amount

For sure, but it's not the same as charging 200 NIS.

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:10 am
amother Valerian wrote:

While those of us not in that face book group cant see the ad, the minute I read 200 shekel donation, my jaw hit the floor.
Is there no shame? Thats more than just a donation. A donation is 10, 18, even 50 shekels. But 200? Thats down right chutzpah, I think.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:10 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:

Whenever I've gone somewhere for a suggested donation everyone gives. It's weird if you don't.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:12 am
amother Mauve wrote:
The 200 shekel 'suggested' donation is so weird. For bagels and some speeches?
The whole concept is strange and I can't imagine people are going to leave their families on a chol hamoed evening for this.

Now they're writing its a fundraiser event actually. That's the main part. It didn't come actress that way at all.. Came across as get to know the community and see if it's right for you.

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:12 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
For sure, but it's not the same as charging 200 NIS.

How would you feel if you can only give 30 nis as a donation and not 200 because finances are tight. I can tell you I would feel poor and ashamed. If I'm looking to move to Afula it would be because RBS is too expensive.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:14 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
I saw the Flyer. They are having a few speakers. Rabbi Cadle, Rabbi Gold, Rabbi Berman, Rabbi Myers from RBS .The money is probably going to cover bagel platters, drinks, setting up with Chad Pa'ami . It all adds up.

I've gone to fancy nice brunches that 20 shekel a person covered costs.

Never heard of 200 a person to cover a pareve buffet. Maybe they're only expecting 5-10 people?

I mean it's PAREVE too!

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:20 am
I just saw the ad, and respectfully, you are misinterpreting it. The money is a suggested donation for the organization Kedushas Tzion. It is run by Yoel Berman, who promotes American Aliyah. He is asking for donations for his cause. The Rav of the Afula community is merely a speaker at the event - he is not "advertising" in RBS.

It seems sad and scary to me that people are jumping to mock a specific community during Aseres Yemei Teshuva... For your own sakes, please consider deleting your posts?

amother
Pear

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:24 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
I just saw the ad, and respectfully, you are misinterpreting it. The money is a suggested donation for the organization Kedushas Tzion. It is run by Yoel Berman, who promotes American Aliyah. He is asking for donations for his cause. The Rav of the Afula community is merely a speaker at the event - he is not "advertising" in RBS.

It seems sad and scary to me that people are jumping to mock a specific community during Aseres Yemei Teshuva... For your own sakes, please consider deleting your posts?

Nothing to mock- I was just surprised that they are asking 200 NIS. I have never heard of anyone asking that amount. It could have been a random organization and I would have had the same reaction

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:25 am
Thanks for the clarification.

Mutually respectful open discussion is in everyone's best interest ultimately IYH.

Shutting down information, obfuscation, and the like are what fuel speculation and concern.

amother
Valerian

amother NeonBlue wrote:

Did you see the Facebook post though? I'll copy the text below. It certainly does not sounds like a fundraiser for an organization. It sounds like a call to find a cheaper place to live and learn about a new community and if it would be a fit for your family:

The prices in RBS are out of control. There is a new american chareidi community that just started out in Afula. The first group just made aliyah this summer and have already moved into apartments. The Rav of the community will be a guest at an upcoming chol hamoed event in RBS. For more info about the event, see attached flyer or PM me.

shabbatiscoming

amother DarkGreen wrote:
But thats not how such events work. The people who are making the event pay for the things they need for the event.

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:30 am
Thanks for the facebook post valerian for those of us who cannot access.

Hope people see the fine print about the 200 shek before going to prevent any awkwardness.
If it is a fundraiser perhaps the person who posted the flyer could make that clear.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:37 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
Thanks for the clarification.

Mutually respectful open discussion is in everyone's best interest ultimately IYH.

Shutting down information, obfuscation, and the like are what fuel speculation and concern.

"This place just gets weirder and weirder" and "it's tacky" are not mutually respectful things to say about a community of people. It would be better to delete the disrespectful posts.

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:46 am
I am sorry if anyone feels "disrespected."
In no way do we want to cause anyone any pain!
At the same time it's a red flag whenever someone tries to control others' behavior "for their own good" like cautioning someone to delete their posts "for their own good" sounds vaguely threatening and/or passive aggressive.
While I am sure this is not your intent we ask our rovs and mentors for guidance and look to ourselves to improve our own behavior rather than point a finger at others. We can really only improve ourselves, be DLKZ, fargin others as we wish to be forgiven; and acknowledge we are all of us works in progress.
Wishing everyone much hatzlocha happiness and health in the New Year!
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions