Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Please explain Uman to me

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 7:35 am
This is not a continuation of any bashing Uman thread.
My questions are related to the finances of it. Once someone is there, how do they find somewhere to sleep? They pay for an air b n b type house? Or are there cots on the street or in the tents?
Does one need to pay to use the tents? What about the meals. Who cooks all the food for a week for thousands of people and do you need to pay for each meal?

GrowingUp

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 8:01 am
I saw this video from Shloime Zionce last year. He explains the whole housing situation. Don’t recall if he said anything about the food.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 8:18 am
There are hotels and housing that you pay per bed. There are all types of price ranges. People rent houses as well. Schneiner sponsors free meals and there are restaurants/food stands as well. There are several different groups there and many groups keep to themselves and eat together.

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 8:42 am
There are many options, ranging from a hotel like setting where you get a bed and meals and security, to a tent city and free soup kitchen, and everything in between.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 10:26 pm
Can I just acknowledge how happy and grateful I am that everyone who did go to uman and the site itself was safe this year.
B”H

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 2:09 am
does anyone bring their families, or is it JUST men and they leave all wives and children at home?

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 2:10 am
also... do they daven by the gravesite, all thousands and thousands of them (portapotties for bathrooms?) or are there various pop up shuls where they daven and then they visit the gravesite when it's no longer chag?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:18 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
does anyone bring their families, or is it JUST men and they leave all wives and children at home?

Many men bring older boys.
My friend went once with her dh and said that she felt uncomfortable from all the testosterone in the air.

miriamfraa

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:48 am
A lot of breslove chasidim bring their sons before they turn 7, it's some type of rule that they need to be at the rabbis grave before turning 7

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:51 am
I know someone who told us that his mother goes every year. They rent an apartment and she loves it. So there are women that go, but definitely not the majority at all.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 12:54 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
also... do they daven by the gravesite, all thousands and thousands of them (portapotties for bathrooms?) or are there various pop up shuls where they daven and then they visit the gravesite when it's no longer chag?

It's like Meron. There is a shul at tzion. Many shuls all around. Some in tents some in buildings. There is small community all year leaving there. They have hotels and shops there.
Many apartment complexes owned and built by Israelis. There make business by renting them out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics