Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Anyone else nervous for the fast tomorrow?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:34 pm
On a regular day I become shaky and weak if I don't eat every few hours......

Wonder how I'm going to manage it, the thought of it is causing me lots of anxiety.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:36 pm
I'm in my second trimester and pretty nervous. But I drank a lot today and plan to rest as much as possible on YK.

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
On a regular day I become shaky and weak if I don't eat every few hours......

Wonder how I'm going to manage it, the thought of it is causing me lots of anxiety.

How did you fast in the past?

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:07 pm
I get anxious about fasting but the truth is I "prepare" for it. I drink a lot in advance. I also eat grapes, dates... brown rice. things that are supposed to be good before I fast and I really do b"Hsurvive on fast days. I try to keep reminding myself that. On a regular day I haven't drunk as much in the past two days...

hodeez

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:07 pm
đź’Ż. I need coffee.

bsy

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:54 pm
Yes I have a newborn

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:57 pm
Yes I’m nervous. I have no “excuse”. My baby is 6 months and I’m not nursing. But still, I feel like my body’s changed a lot since having a baby. I did not make it through tisha bav, but I did manage tzom gedalya pretty well. Also nervous about staying home from shul and watching my baby alone. I need some distraction. And I can’t daven at home alone for so long. Just doesn’t work.

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:59 pm
🤚 I’m just shy of my 9th month, and, like you, on a regular day I need to eat. When I’m not pregnant I do shiurim and stay in bed. I’m terrified….

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:30 pm
I had a baby a couple of weeks ago and I'm SO nervous.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:37 pm
had a baby a few weeks ago, have arthritis and am nervous about not being able to eat/drink/take pain meds. can't take the kollel pills because I'm not allowed to take advil.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:44 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
I had a baby a couple of weeks ago and I'm SO nervous.

Please ask a shayla about whether you are allowed to fast. I had a baby less than thirty days before Tisha B'av one year and was told not only did I not have to fast, but it's a mefurash halacha that I'm not even allowed to...

bsy

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:46 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Please ask a shayla about whether you are allowed to fast. I had a baby less than thirty days before Tisha B'av one year and was told not only did I not have to fast, but it's a mefurash halacha that I'm not even allowed to...

Yom kippur is different. I have a 2 week old and have to fast. Had the exact same thing a few years ago. I have a relative who made a bris on yk and had to fast. I think within 3 days of birth a women doesn't fast.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:48 pm
I've always been a pretty good faster but I have my first baby, I'm nursing, and now I'm very nervous. Partly because breastfeeding makes me so hungry and thirsty, and partly because I have to actively take care of the baby and can't take long naps which I usually do to get me through the fast.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:53 pm
Very nervous. First trimester and feeling very sick most of the time. And it gets worse if I don't eat. I hired someone to come help, but she got covid and now can't come. Dh is probably going to stay home most of the day, I can't do it alone. I might knock myself out with a sleeping pill as a last resort if it gets too hard.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:01 pm
My mom was surprised when I told her today that I always research how to eat before a fast and put in some real hishtadlus, even though I fast well in general. But it's definitely something that I really think about.

(Where I am this year in terms of babies is nursing a toddler.)

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:04 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
I've always been a pretty good faster but I have my first baby, I'm nursing, and now I'm very nervous. Partly because breastfeeding makes me so hungry and thirsty, and partly because I have to actively take care of the baby and can't take long naps which I usually do to get me through the fast.

Did you get one of those babies who always takes short naps?

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 12:02 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
Did you get one of those babies who always takes short naps?

Lol I see you've met my baby! He's easy enough to get to sleep, but he only goes about 30 minutes in the bassinet. He can go much longer if I'm holding him, but then I have to stay awake. I guess I'll aim for that on YK though because at least if he's asleep in my arms I don't need to actively be entertaining him.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 12:54 am
amother Arcticblue wrote:

Thanks, I asked. Because I'm within 30 days I'm still considered a choleh but a choleh sh'ein bo sakana therefore for now I have a chiyuv to fast - YK we don't preemptively do shiurim unless one is a choleh sheyesh bo sakana. However my Rav said that because I am a choleh if I start getting to the point of sakana, like real dehydration, then I should start shiurim right away. I don't think I'm going to feel comfortable making the call to break my fast on YK but we'll see.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 3:03 am
My baby is two weeks old. Rav told me to start shuirim at 9 or 10 in the morning, partially because baby is reliant on my milk and fasting completely can lead to not enough nutrition and negatively affect milk supply. (Yeshivish in EY)

SG18

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 3:31 am
icedcoffee wrote:
Lol I see you've met my baby! He's easy enough to get to sleep, but he only goes about 30 minutes in the bassinet. He can go much longer if I'm holding him, but then I have to stay awake. I guess I'll aim for that on YK though because at least if he's asleep in my arms I don't need to actively be entertaining him.

Consider cosleeping! Napping together in your bed, even if just for tomorrow.
I did this last year with my nursing baby, and it was much easier.
We napped together most of the day, so I had some energy when she was awake.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur