Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Women bowing on the ground for kor'im
Previous  1  2

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:38 am
I grew up Yekkish, all the women bowed to the floor including the Rebbetzin who was in her 80's, remembered the shul in Munich before the war and needed 2 people to help her back up. Now my husband is Litvish and there is not more than one woman in a hundred in the shul we daven in who goes down.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:44 am
Yeshiva type shul. Pretty much everyone goes all the way down besides for me. It's not my family tradition.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:48 am
I grew up MO and all the women bow3d all the way down. Now go to a more yeshivish shul and almost none of the women do. Just bows low.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:50 am
Common among lubavitch?

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:09 pm
amother Canary wrote:
B I do not think this is a new thing at all, like someone suggested upthread.

I didn't mean new as in recently invented; I meant new for this woman, because she hadn't been doing this for the past 30 years. Back in the day, it wasn't done in our shul and I don't think it was done by anyone I knew, even those who went to different shuls.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:15 pm
Nobody does it in Satmar, the women just watch the men.

heidi

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:29 am
R' Soloveichik held that women don't bow to the ground bcz. it says והכהנים והעם העומדים בעזרה and women weren't allowed in the azara so it doesn't apply to women.
Growing up in my MO shul almost no one bowed to the ground.
Now in my DL MO shul 85% bowed to the ground. My poor daughter is frustrated that we don't but it's never been our family's minhag.
I also wonder if it's misguided piety. Like it seems frummer to bow to the ground.

Last edited by heidi on Fri, Oct 07 2022, 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 5:32 am
My theory about it becoming more widespread is that it says to do it in the Artscroll machzor. I didn't use that till I was an adult, so just a theory, but it has become more widespread over the last 20-30 years...I go down low but not totally but it's also a space issue--we're all crammed in there like sardines. I can't reach the floor!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur