Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
S/O Why the doona hate?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 10:15 am
amother Brown wrote:
Not blood clots. It’s potential positional airway obstruction. I don’t like them because they’re too short. I’m not going to make myself uncomfortable because something is stylish. I’m not frugal either. I have a Bugaboo Fox and a Bee. And I previously had a Silver Cross Wave as well. I love nice strollers and nice car seats. I just don’t like the Doona- or the fact that people don’t consider car seat safety with it ‘because it’s just a stroller’.

No blood clots is the issue. Airways is only an issue when not buckled properly or when at a wrong angle which happens when people use the car seat in the house casually. But even a car seat used correctly a baby has to get out and stretch their legs and move around or there is a risk of blood clots.

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 10:18 am
sbil wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned that a baby develops a doona head!!! Where the back of the head gets flattened out from the way the carseat is reclined.

Babies get flat heads from laying on their back too long too. Again, I could care less what people use for their babies but the doonas aren't as bad as people make them out to be. If you use anything too much or the wrong way it will cause problems. Babies got flat heads and torticollis way before Doonas.

sbil

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 10:21 am
amother Freesia wrote:
It’s called a flat head and happens for overuse of any car seat. I’ve seen it happen from babysitters keeping babies in a snap and go too

LOL I know, it's just a nickname we gave since so many kids are in a doona all day so doona head it is. I think doona heads are more flattened out upwards I just see how it merges with the angle of the carseat. Besides, doona head sounds much cuter as apposed to flat head.

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 11:01 am
rising hero wrote:
Yes this. Why isnt it a thing? Can we start the trend please????

I wore my baby in Flatbush. Might be unusual but it was pouring and I had to pick up my other kids with a newborn

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 11:19 am
amother Olive wrote:
Exactly. 'Some People'. It's not 'All People'.

That's the point posters are trying to make. When 'All People' need something regardless of the circumstances, it points to something else rather than an actual need or benefit. When everyone must have that very same thing, even though it can serve to their (or their baby's) detriment, then that's the problem.

The Doona was designed to work for a specific set of circumstances. It's telling how many people are coming up with all kinds of rationalizations for other scenarios. It's great for some, but for others it's nothing more than a status item to keep up with the community's conformity mindset.

You said it perfectly.

All the rationalizations. But when you boil it down 95% of yeshivish mothers buy this because......this is what "aaalll" mothers have.

This "frumthink" happens all over the place, just with the doona it happens to be particularly pronounced.

And particularly unfortunate due to the cost and people giving up very useful features (basket, smaller size for shopping cart of classic seats) for their sooooo convenient doona.

Yeah it's sooo convenient. That's why you're pushing your shopping cart with one hand and your doona w the other. 10 years ago you never saw this. (Among other examples)

No one will admit, even to themselves, that they are making up these arguments to justify a short-lived 400+ purchaee so they can avoid using a "nerdy" snap n go.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 11:19 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
No clue.
I have it and don’t like it but it’s a car seat. Any car seat that I would be lugging around I would hate. I use the doona for the car and the bugaboo for the stroller.

The weird thing is when people who don’t drive have it as a stroller

Not weird at all. I don't drive so when I take a car service or if I get a ride, I need to bring my own car seat. That's where the doona comes in. How would I be able to carry a car seat with me all day and a carriage separately. It's works out perfectly if you combine it. On the other hand those that drive have the car seat that they leave in the car so they can take a regular carriage, why would they need the doona?
Then there are babies who fall asleep and you don't wanna wake them when you get home, that would be the same for someone who drives or doesn't.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 11:20 am
amother Freesia wrote:
No blood clots is the issue. Airways is only an issue when not buckled properly or when at a wrong angle which happens when people use the car seat in the house casually. But even a car seat used correctly a baby has to get out and stretch their legs and move around or there is a risk of blood clots.

You have a source for that- specifically for infants? I’d be interested to see that. I’ve never heard someone claim this before. Blood clots during travel is certainly a concern for adults, but infants are basically immobile even without car seat use. And airway is an issue even in the correct position. Which is why car seat time should be limited.

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 11:42 am
amother Violet wrote:
You said it perfectly.

All the rationalizations. But when you boil it down 95% of yeshivish mothers buy this because......this is what "aaalll" mothers have.

This "frumthink" happens all over the place, just with the doona it happens to be particularly pronounced.

And particularly unfortunate due to the cost and people giving up very useful features (basket, smaller size for shopping cart of classic seats) for their sooooo convenient doona.

Yeah it's sooo convenient. That's why you're pushing your shopping cart with one hand and your doona w the other. 10 years ago you never saw this. (Among other examples)

No one will admit, even to themselves, that they are making up these arguments to justify a short-lived 400+ purchaee so they can avoid using a "nerdy" snap n go.

I bought it used for 250. 10 years ago I used to push the snap n go and pull the shopping cart...now it's even easier to put the car seat in the car without having to worry about the bottom peice. And without carrying the car seat far. Win for me. You don't like it don't buy it.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 11:57 am
amother Violet wrote:
You said it perfectly.

That’s my question.

From where do you and the other poster take the information as a fact that 95% or maaaaaany people buy it because it’s a style?

You made assumptions based on your bias.

In my community almost everyone purchases at some point a second freezer. You would probably say it’s a fad, right? I say it’s because it’s extremely convenient to have another freezer. Even if if takes up room and is costly etc etc.

Same for the doona. It’s so popular because it is amazing! All drawbacks mentioned like no basket (which you can add on btw) aren’t enough to take away from its convenience. It’s genius!

(I have yet to read one good post with a con the doona features that other car seats don’t. Haven’t found one yet. Just a bunch of ridiculous sounding desperate yentas who are climbing over each other looking desperately for something to say to “prove” how evil the doona is and how “dumb” everyone that doesn’t lug around a snap and go is.

If it wouldn’t be so petty it would be a great comic.

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 12:03 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
That’s my question.

From where do you and the other poster take the information as a fact that 95% or maaaaaany people buy it because it’s a style?

You made assumptions based on your bias.

In my community almost everyone purchases at some point a second freezer. You would probably say it’s a fad, right? I say it’s because it’s extremely convenient to have another freezer. Even if if takes up room and is costly etc etc.

Same for the doona. It’s so popular because it is amazing! All drawbacks mentioned like no basket (which you can add on btw) aren’t enough to take away from its convenience. It’s genius!

(I have yet to read one good post with a con the doona features that other car seats don’t. Haven’t found one yet. Just a bunch of ridiculous sounding desperate yentas who are climbing over each other looking desperately for something to say to “prove” how evil the doona is and how “dumb” everyone that doesn’t lug around a snap and go is.

If it wouldn’t be so petty it would be a great comic.

Agree. I hate the doona for the same reasons I hate all snap n goes. But the bottom line is it’s amazing that I don’t have to go around to my trunk every time I leave the car and open the base and then attach the car seat to the base or worse, lug around a 30 lb car seat with a baby inside is a no brainer. It’s worth every penny as a baby car seat.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 12:09 pm
The stupidest comment was the poster who said she dislikes it because she sees women pushing a shopping cart and a doona simultaneously.

How stupid can she get?

Doesn’t she realize that the doona is the only car seat on wheels that is light weight enough to be pushed with literally one hand, AND has the option to be folded and placed into the cart all without having to wake the baby? It’s so versatile and that’s why people who use it, leave their big strollers home most of the time. It’s a very very nifty piece. Make peace with it ladies.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 12:58 pm
What I don’t understand is why those who like the doona are SO antagonistic towards those who don’t. If it works for you that’s great, but why does it have to work for everyone?

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:08 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
What I don’t understand is why those who like the doona are SO antagonistic towards those who don’t. If it works for you that’s great, but why does it have to work for everyone?

I don't care if people don't like a doona, don't use it. Do you see any threads started off by saying everyone use a doona? Its the doona haters who go on their tirade and then the likers have to defend themselves.

mandr

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:12 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
The stupidest comment was the poster who said she dislikes it because she sees women pushing a shopping cart and a doona simultaneously.

How stupid can she get?

Doesn’t she realize that the doona is the only car seat on wheels that is light weight enough to be pushed with literally one hand, AND has the option to be folded and placed into the cart all without having to wake the baby? It’s so versatile and that’s why people who use it, leave their big strollers home most of the time. It’s a very very nifty piece. Make peace with it ladies.

Sure it can be pushed with one hand. But it most certainly cannot be steered with one hand. And I go shopping with my nice Maxi Cosi Coral car seat perched above the seat.l so I don’t ever have to STEER two wheeled contraptions for lack of a better word lol. And no you cant steer two things single handedly at the same time. It’s just impossible. Unless you make a ridiculous choo choo train where one hand pushes and one hand pulls and yes it looks super odd and not comfortable and you end up bumping into someone somewhere at some point. How’s that for stupid?

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:17 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
I don't care if people don't like a doona, don't use it. Do you see any threads started off by saying everyone use a doona? Its the doona haters who go on their tirade and then the likers have to defend themselves.

But there IS no tirade here. No one is asking anyone to defend themselves. If you like it, use it (properly). If you don’t like it, don’t use it.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:20 pm
mandr wrote:
Sure it can be pushed with one hand. But it most certainly cannot be steered with one hand. And I go shopping with my nice Maxi Cosi Coral car seat perched above the seat.l so I don’t ever have to STEER two wheeled contraptions for lack of a better word lol. And no you cant steer two things single handedly at the same time. It’s just impossible. Unless you make a ridiculous choo choo train where one hand pushes and one hand pulls and yes it looks super odd and not comfortable and you end up bumping into someone somewhere at some point. How’s that for stupid?

I hope you don’t mean above the shopping cart seat! Most (if not all) car seats manuals say not to do that, and many shopping carts do too. The weight is not distributed evenly, and it can cause the cart to tip. (Yes, I’ve seen it happen.)

amother
Mocha

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:24 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
But there IS no tirade here. No one is asking anyone to defend themselves. If you like it, use it (properly). If you don’t like it, don’t use it.

All the people yelling it's expensive, it's a fad, it's unsafe, people only use it cause it's popular, it causes flat heads...am I imagining that?

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:32 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
All the people yelling it's expensive, it's a fad, it's unsafe, people only use it cause it's popular, it causes flat heads...am I imagining that?

Not one single person is yelling, people are just stating their opinion, their reasons for disliking it. I mean, the thread name is LITERALLY why the doona hate, and op ASKED why people dislike the doona. I think you are reading and projecting….

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:43 pm
Just wanted to point out that doona is number one best selling car seat on Amazon. And I doubt it’s because of all the yeshivish peer pressure.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:52 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:

How stupid can she get?

I easily pushed the snap and go with one hand, but even better I was able to use the basket for my grocery shopping so I didn’t need a cart or put it in the grocery cart if I wanted.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics