Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
S/O Why the doona hate?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:25 am
amother Lilac wrote:
It’s the same for regular car seats but I’ve never heard of anyone buying a used regular car seat and people buy used doonas all the time.

Personally I hate the doona because people put their baby in it when they’re not in the car and that’s extremely unhealthy for little babies.

People where I live post about giving away and/or looking for used car seats all the time. When my car seats expire, I either turn them in at target or put them on the curb with the straps cut so they can’t be used.

essie14

All car seats expire. Full stop.
Everyone who cares about their child should be cognizant of their car seat's expiration date.
A doona is a car seat. Hence, it has an expiration date.
I hate seeing babies being pushed in the doona while the mom is power walking and just taking a stroll. That's not the purpose of a Doona. It's a car sear.
I hate seeing it used on shabbat.
I hate seeing a child whose legs are dangling out of it.
I have no hate for the Doona if it's being used properly. But I see far too many people using it incorrectly.

amother
Daisy

amother Dahlia wrote:
How is this doona hate?

It's probably harder to throw out a $500 carseat that looks like it works perfectly than it is to throw out an $89 carseat.

rmbg

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:26 am
amother Mintcream wrote:
No clue.
I have it and don’t like it but it’s a car seat. Any car seat that I would be lugging around I would hate. I use the doona for the car and the bugaboo for the stroller.

The weird thing is when people who don’t drive have it as a stroller

I agree- for people who don’t drive, why do they have it?
With that said, I got a doona and used it for two of my kids and it has been amazing. I am in and out of the car all the time and have very little arm strength so shlepping my car seat around for my older kids was always so hard for me. Yes the doona is heavy, absolutely, but there’s so little time you actually have to carry it.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:28 am
rmbg wrote:
I agree- for people who don’t drive, why do they have it?
With that said, I got a doona and used it for two of my kids and it has been amazing. I am in and out of the car all the time and have very little arm strength so shlepping my car seat around for my older kids was always so hard for me. Yes the doona is heavy, absolutely, but there’s so little time you actually have to carry it.

Because taking taxis with a stroller AND a carseat is really, really hard. Especially when the baby is a newborn. I don't have a Doona, but I really want one for safety reasons. I end up holding the baby in the taxi...

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:33 am
amother Daisy wrote:
Because taking taxis with a stroller AND a carseat is really, really hard. Especially when the baby is a newborn. I don't have a Doona, but I really want one for safety reasons. I end up holding the baby in the taxi...

There are people that very rarely take taxi's or travel anywhere by car, yet they have a doona as their regular stroller. Because it's in style and it's embarrassing to not have a doona. And they nebach sqeeze their 2 year olds in it because it's their only stroller. The amount of doona's seen on the streets of Williamsburg and Boro Park, so doesn't make sense, that it's comical. Most of those women walk everywhere and rarely take taxi. You'll never in a million years see a women in Williamsburg pushing a snap n go, but a doona is a must.... comical. When I go to Williamsburg with my snap n go, I'm stared at as if I'm from a different planet.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:39 am
amother Daisy wrote:

It’s super easy to strap a car seat in with the seat belt and throw the snap and go in the trunk. You should really rethink putting your baby in danger.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:42 am
amother Freesia wrote:
It’s super easy to strap a car seat in with the seat belt and throw the snap and go in the trunk. You should really rethink putting your baby in danger.

My baby is past Snap N Go age now. And no, it's really not easy to do anything physical newly PP.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:42 am
amother Daisy wrote:

I don’t drive if my husband is not around I use Uber or taxis I take my car seat buckle it in the car then use my snap and go when I get out but I only use that for appointments and such outher wise I use a Stroller

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:43 am
And I wish they would make a convertible seat Doona too. That would be so nice.

amother
Currant

I have a doona that I use exclusively in the car and I'm happy with BH
I also have a bugaboo as my reg stroller and it's so easy to buckle baby in compared to doona
My question is are all car seats hard and annoying to buckle or is that exclusive to doona?

amother
Darkblue

amother Daisy wrote:
My baby is past Snap N Go age now. And no, it's really not easy to do anything physical newly PP.

If your baby is past Snap N Go age they are also past Doona age.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:46 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
If your baby is past Snap N Go age they are also past Doona age.

I don't have a Doona either.
I tend to take a lot of taxis with a newborn. With toddlers, we go on the bus.

But anyway, I was just explaining why it isn't crazy to want one if you don't have a car. I do think it's crazy to have one for the look because it's so ugly (IMO). If I wanted a nice look and push, I'd go with the cheapest Bugaboo.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:48 am
amother Daisy wrote:
How are you putting the doona in the car newly postpartum? It’s insanely heavy.

And babies age out of a doona the same time they age out of a snap n go so doona wouldn’t help you now anyway.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:49 am
amother Daisy wrote:

Drivers are usually happy to help. None of my friends were able to lift the doona into the car pp so not sure that's a solution for you. It's insanely heavy. Much easier to strap in a lightweight car seat.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:03 am
amother Daisy wrote:

amother Currant wrote:
I have a doona that I use exclusively in the car and I'm happy with BH
I also have a bugaboo as my reg stroller and it's so easy to buckle baby in compared to doona
My question is are all car seats hard and annoying to buckle or is that exclusive to doona?

While the doona is certainly safer than no car seat at all, its safety ratings are pretty low compared to other car seats.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:28 am
amother Lilac wrote:
How are you putting the doona in the car newly postpartum? It’s insanely heavy.

And babies age out of a doona the same time they age out of a snap n go so doona wouldn’t help you now anyway.

LOL. My petite DD tried lifting her friend's baby with the Doona and said, not for me. B"EH when she has children, she plans on carrying just the baby (and using a carseat that stays in the car).

As to the OP's question - I think what people hate is the peer pressure.

Recently, some of my neighbors were discussing the insane costs of babysitting. One neighbor told me she intends to speak to her daughters' high school principal, and ask them to tell girls that babysitting is a Chessed, and they shouldn't charge so much. The young people can't afford to go out, because babysitting costs so much.

I discussed this with my girls when I got home, and their take on it was - if they can afford a Doona, we don't need to shortchange the high school girls.

I want to say that my girls always did a certain amount of Chessed babysitting. And if they went to a home where they felt the couple could not afford it, they would mention a low rate per hour, in order to give them their dignity of paying but make it cheaper for them.

But they feel - if the couple has all the "in" stuff, why is it the high school girls that have to charge less? Maybe the young couples who "can't afford" to pay should scale down on other costs.

(yeah, I know it's sometimes a gift.)

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:41 am
We have a snap n go with a car seat that we use on shabbos when we are going to family for shabbos and don't really go out except getting there and back and we're getting a ride etc.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:50 am
Ok so maybe the Doona is not for me. I might get a snap n go one day. Not TTCing anytime soon so it's not really relevant. I was just drooling over the idea that I would have a way to shlep a carseat and stroller together.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Please help me understand:

1) why do so many people on Imamother express dislike towards doona? Why does every say that doona can’t be used after expiration date and shouldn’t be resold after it was used… but I never hear anyone saying that about regular car seats?

2) why do people keep calling it in style? It’s so ugly. I feel much more “stylish” walking around town with my Bugaboo than with doona when I need to take it out because I’m in and out of cars.

1) Because you are spending way more than a car seat for something that expires.

It also does poorly in safety crash tests when using the base, interestingly. If using, it is recommended to use without the base. So say certified car seat experts.

--A Doona owner
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics