Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
S/O Why the doona hate?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:31 am
People love to hate things that are popular and expensive.

I used a Doona..loved the convenience of it and obviously it had some downsides too. But I would never mock anyone for using whatever car seat they choose. To each their own.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:36 am
amother Geranium wrote:
It’s the same mentality of pple competing who can be the most frugal. And putting pple down who dress their kids in frum style

Part 1- maybe
Part 2- uh no. Some people simply hate frum style Peace sign

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:51 am
amother Mocha wrote:
People love to hate things that are popular and expensive.

I used a Doona..loved the convenience of it and obviously it had some downsides too. But I would never mock anyone for using whatever car seat they choose. To each their own.

No one is mocking and no one is hating

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:53 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
If your baby is past Snap N Go age they are also past Doona age.

Doona fits way longer than most infant car seats. Yes, even the toddler with legs dangling may still be safe until the top of baby's head does not almost reach the top of the seat & child is under 35lb. All of you complaining of doona being used way too long, please read the manual. Especially for those of us taking uber all the time. With my own car I don't even use the Doona.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:53 am
I remember in 2012 deciding I'm never getting a City Mini because everyone had one. Now it's 2022 and guess what stroller I have? Very Happy

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:58 am
amother Taupe wrote:
Doona fits way longer than most infant car seats. Yes, even the toddler with legs dangling may still be safe until the top of baby's head does not almost reach the top of the seat & child is under 35lb. All of you complaining of doona being used way too long, please read the manual. Especially for those of us taking uber all the time. With my own car I don't even use the Doona.

Infant car seats are usually up to 35 pounds and 32 inches. The same as a doona. So yes they are all outgrown at the same time.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:59 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
No one is mocking and no one is hating

I'll respectfully disagree. I was made to feel really stupid for inquiring about it a couple years ago. I'm glad I didn't listen. The same was some more years back when bugaboo was the thing.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:01 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
I'll respectfully disagree. I was made to feel really stupid for inquiring about it a couple years ago. I'm glad I didn't listen. The same was some more years back when bugaboo was the thing.

I’m sorry that happened to you, that’s really awful. I was talking specifically about on this thread though.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:03 pm
amother Taupe wrote:

From the doona user manual:

• Use only with children who weigh between 4 lbs to 35 lbs (1.8 kg - 15.8 kg) or less and whose height is 32 inches (81 cm) or less.

It’s the same as any other car seat. Dangling legs means a child has most likely outgrown proper use.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:10 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
From the doona user manual:

• Use only with children who weigh between 4 lbs to 35 lbs (1.8 kg - 15.8 kg) or less and whose height is 32 inches (81 cm) or less.

It’s the same as any other car seat. Dangling legs means a child has most likely outgrown proper use.

My 16 month old is still in that range. Not that I'm getting one right now. She's in the 60s for height and average weight.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:16 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
Infant car seats are usually up to 35 pounds and 32 inches. The same as a doona. So yes they are all outgrown at the same time.

The doona is narrower than a regular infant cat seat making it not so comfy for fat, or bigger babies.
My baby is 5 months. In the bigger side (wears 9-12mo clothing) and is almost outgrowing it.

We got the doona at a store that gives discounts for Healthcare workers so we paid significantly less. But still a lot. And yes I got the upgraded look. Because I liked it, and it was only $70 more and that $70 also paid for the bag.....

Even though my baby is outgrowing it soon it was TOTALLY worth the price.
Absolutely love the convenience of it.

Where I live I need to take a taxi any time I need to go anywhere except for a walk around my neighborhood. So we are in and our of taxis often.
With my older kids I had a Graco car seat and an adapter to the bugaboo bee so effectively a hugaboo snapngo. But it was a pain changing out the seat and adapter all the time.
Love the doona.
It's a car seat on wheels. It's not a stroller. Treat it as such.
It's not healthy for babies to sleep in a car seat regularly.
You can't hang bags on it. It topples over easily. It has low handlebars. It's narrow for the baby. Has no shocks so not comfy for baby unless on smooth pavement. It's not easy to get in and out of a car. And there are more disadvantages.
Still the advantage of convenience made it worthwhile.

When I go shopping with dhs car or on a trip I always take my bugaboo bee with me. So much more comfy for everyone. (And yes, I also got the upgraded one because I liked it. Not rich by any means. But I HATED the steal look. And I waited long and worked freaked hard for that first baby and it made me very happy) It's close to 10 years of continuous now. Multiple children. And other than 2 tiny cheap parts of around 15 bucks that needed to be replaced it's in very good condition. the fabric isn't sun damaged either. I'll probably get another 1 or 2 kids use out of it.
The doona I paid for. The bugaboo I got as a gift. (I was actually given the chameleon back then but chose the bee as we were traveling often so the upgraded bee was still cheaper than the chameleon. Never regretted it bh)

Expensive is often cheaper if you know what you want.

Buy smart, treat your stuff well, it'll be worth it.

top mom

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:30 pm
I'll add my opinion on the Doona.
I believe that for the people who use it for what it was intended, it's amazing, practical, and convenient.
I'm not a car or taxi person, so I wouldn't even consider it.
I live in Yerushalayim, and I know LOTS of people who have Doonas, who literally never set foot in any type of car or taxi.
They use it for strolling the streets, as an infant seat, shopping...
And since they paid a lot, they use it for their huge toddler who is popping out of it from every direction.
It became a statement - THE thing to have, and that's why so many people got it.

I don't Doona hate, I'm truly just Scratching Head as to why there are tons of Doonas being pushed around the streets here, especially by some tall people who are probably not too comfortable pushing a pretty low carriage? When there are way more practical, comfortable options.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:43 pm
amother Taupe wrote:

No, a doona is narrower than a regular car seat and the position is different, so the child ends up being more squished. But I think that the height/weight requirements are the same for all car seats, including doona. It's safe till 35lbs AND 32inchs tall. So if a child is under 35lbs but taller than 32inches, then they've outgrown the doona or any other infant car seat.
And even if it may technically be safe to use for a toddler, it's torture for them. Most toddlers aren't comfortable squashed in to a doona, especially as their regular everyday stroller.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:43 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
My 16 month old is still in that range. Not that I'm getting one right now. She's in the 60s for height and average weight.

My kids generally are also, but a child whose feet are sticking out most likely isn’t within range.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:02 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
My baby is past Snap N Go age now. And no, it's really not easy to do anything physical newly PP.

If your baby is too big for a snap n go, ie they dont fit into a regular infant car seat, they are VERY LIKELY TOO BIG for a doona.
The maximum size is 35 pounds or 32 inches or when baby's head is within an inch of the top of the car seat.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:10 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
With my older kids I had a Graco car seat and an adapter to the bugaboo bee so effectively a hugaboo snapngo. But it was a pain changing out the seat and adapter all the time.
I had a city mini gt with car seat adapters and I’m planning to use this time as well iyh. The seat stays on and baby can sit in the stroller without taking the adapters off. Best of both worlds. Oh and it wheels like a dream.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:32 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
No, a doona is narrower than a regular car seat and the position is different, so the child ends up being more squished. But I think that the height/weight requirements are the same for all car seats, including doona. It's safe till 35lbs AND 32inchs tall. So if a child is under 35lbs but taller than 32inches, then they've outgrown the doona or any other infant car seat.
And even if it may technically be safe to use for a toddler, it's torture for them. Most toddlers aren't comfortable squashed in to a doona, especially as their regular everyday stroller.

My personal experience having both the doona & Graco, the doona fit way longer, & no the kid wasn't squished or uncomfortable. It is more upright also. & of course I didn't use it in lieu of a stroller!

I used my Graco snap n go ( older version) for 3 kids, I always needed to stop using at about 8 months or so, the baby was just too reclined.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:19 pm
IMO the doona is the next best thing after sliced bread (almost).

The reason it’s so popular is because it is a phenomenal invention!

It’s great for a car, great for a taxi/Uber, great for taking the bus or train, great for flying! It’s great in narrow shops and supermarket aisles, great if you have to take lots of stairs, great wheeling around inside the house (if you have a small house you know)!

I believe the ones that mock it are either jealous, frugal, people who are wary of new things, people who are always late to the game and will all have one in ten years from now, or people who love to hate everything frum.

I agree with above poster it reminds me a lot of when bugaboo made its appearance.

Posters who claim they ‘know people’ who buy it even if they don’t use cars, well 1- how do you ‘know others intentions? 2 - even though it’s meant for travel it’s small size and light frame tempts you to use it for quick errands 3 - if you happen to have some idiot friends who misuse it grossly, doesn’t negate the product.

Also some claim people buy it because it’s a ‘status symbol’ that’s so preposterous as the doona is so so common that it is no longer cool. It just spread like wildfire since it’s a new luxury which is hard to go back from once you get used to.

Like every other products it has its pros and cons, and for every bunch of people who love it there are several who don’t. I’ve bought and regretted countless baby products in my motherhood life, doona was not one of them. In fact it is on the list of the first things to get again when I have another baby iyh.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:21 pm
How is it great if you have a lot of stairs? It's very heavy. Does it bump up easily?

How is it great for shopping in narrow aisles at the supermarket if there's no basket? I used a snap n go for that purpose...

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:32 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
My personal experience having both the doona & Graco, the doona fit way longer, & no the kid wasn't squished or uncomfortable. It is more upright also. & of course I didn't use it in lieu of a stroller!

I used my Graco snap n go ( older version) for 3 kids, I always needed to stop using at about 8 months or so, the baby was just too reclined.

Yes, the doona is more upright which makes it an unhealthy and unsafe position for newborns.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics