Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
S/O Why the doona hate?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

keym

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:35 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
How is it great if you have a lot of stairs? It's very heavy. Does it bump up easily?

How is it great for shopping in narrow aisles at the supermarket if there's no basket? I used a snap n go for that purpose...

I know a lot of people bump the doona up the stairs.
It terrifies me. The handle does not feel as secure

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:37 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
IMO the doona is the next best thing after sliced bread (almost).

The reason it’s so popular is because it is a phenomenal invention!

It’s great for a car, great for a taxi/Uber, great for taking the bus or train, great for flying! It’s great in narrow shops and supermarket aisles, great if you have to take lots of stairs, great wheeling around inside the house (if you have a small house you know)!

I believe the ones that mock it are either jealous, frugal, people who are wary of new things, people who are always late to the game and will all have one in ten years from now, or people who love to hate everything frum.

I agree with above poster it reminds me a lot of when bugaboo made its appearance.

Posters who claim they ‘know people’ who buy it even if they don’t use cars, well 1- how do you ‘know others intentions? 2 - even though it’s meant for travel it’s small size and light frame tempts you to use it for quick errands 3 - if you happen to have some idiot friends who misuse it grossly, doesn’t negate the product.

Also some claim people buy it because it’s a ‘status symbol’ that’s so preposterous as the doona is so so common that it is no longer cool. It just spread like wildfire since it’s a new luxury which is hard to go back from once you get used to.

Like every other products it has its pros and cons, and for every bunch of people who love it there are several who don’t. I’ve bought and regretted countless baby products in my motherhood life, doona was not one of them. In fact it is on the list of the first things to get again when I have another baby iyh.

Let's not forget that a doona is a CAR SEAT, and NOT a stroller and that there are communities of women that rarely ever travel anywhere by car or bus, they didn't even own a car seat before a doona became trendy, yet they use a doona as their only stroller, even for toddlers. All errands are done by foot. They hold their bags in one hand, and maneuver the doona with the other. Or they hang bags on the handle and they have to hold on to the doona to keep it from flipping over. In those communities it is 100% a peer pressure and keeping up with the Kohens because in those communities, a women wouldn't be caught dead wheeling a snap n go. A snap n go was never a thing in those communities. Anyone pushing a snap n go, is stared at as if they're from mars. And suddenly everyone must have a doona and if one doesn't have a doona, they're made to feel crazy.
Don't tell me otherwise, because I'm from such a community.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:38 pm
I personally think its weird when a toddler in shoes is in a doona, legs hanging out
Why do people do that?
The toddler long outgrew an infant carseat. It cannot possibly be comfortable or safe

I also think its weird when people use it as full time stroller

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:39 pm
keym wrote:

It is terrifying. My father is a paramedic, there are such calls on a too often basis, that the doona goes flying and the handle stays in mom's arms r'l.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:39 pm
I saw a kid who looked about 4 in a Doona today. It cracked me up.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:58 pm
top mom wrote:
I'll add my opinion on the Doona.
I believe that for the people who use it for what it was intended, it's amazing, practical, and convenient.
I'm not a car or taxi person, so I wouldn't even consider it.
I live in Yerushalayim, and I know LOTS of people who have Doonas, who literally never set foot in any type of car or taxi.
They use it for strolling the streets, as an infant seat, shopping...
And since they paid a lot, they use it for their huge toddler who is popping out of it from every direction.
It became a statement - THE thing to have, and that's why so many people got it.

I don't Doona hate, I'm truly just Scratching Head as to why there are tons of Doonas being pushed around the streets here, especially by some tall people who are probably not too comfortable pushing a pretty low carriage? When there are way more practical, comfortable options.

I actually know people who needed a car seat and couldn't really afford an expensive stroller so they look at the doona as their stroller.

But it wasn't because it's cool. It's because a 3000 shekel stroller isn't in their budget.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 4:50 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
My baby is past Snap N Go age now. And no, it's really not easy to do anything physical newly PP.

The doona is heavier. Than both a standalone infant car seat and the snap n go.

I don't recall the original post, but if a baby is past the snap snap go age they are also past the doona age.

And if the regular car seat is too heavy to lift of snap n go and put in car and then pushing the snap n go around to your trunk and dumping it in is too heavy....then doona is waaay too heavy.

There is no doona "hate", and if you can afford it and actually like it knock yourself out and buy it.
I just think there is a lot of frumthink going around that is making it the carseat of absolute no other choice for 95%+ of young Lakewood mommies.

QuasiProof: my teens are embarrassed to push my brand new for this baby snap n go and Carseat even though I told them a basket in non-negotiable for me AND I'm unwilling to spend $400+ instead of $200 for something ugly just to save myself walking to the trunk for a year. I think their mentality is rampant.

Note: if you take taxis then I certainly see why the doona is better....but walking around to your own car's trunk?!?!

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:10 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
I actually know people who needed a car seat and couldn't really afford an expensive stroller so they look at the doona as their stroller.

But it wasn't because it's cool. It's because a 3000 shekel stroller isn't in their budget.

Since they are in Israel, tell them to check Yad2 next time.

There are lots of good finds there.

Also they should go to Shilav or Motsetsim and ask for a tiyulon, if their infant is over 6 months.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:14 pm
amother Violet wrote:
The doona is heavier. Than both a standalone infant car seat and the snap n go.

I don't recall the original post, but if a baby is past the snap snap go age they are also past the doona age.

And if the regular car seat is too heavy to lift of snap n go and put in car and then pushing the snap n go around to your trunk and dumping it in is too heavy....then doona is waaay too heavy.

There is no doona "hate", and if you can afford it and actually like it knock yourself out and buy it.
I just think there is a lot of frumthink going around that is making it the carseat of absolute no other choice for 95%+ of young Lakewood mommies.

QuasiProof: my teens are embarrassed to push my brand new for this baby snap n go and Carseat even though I told them a basket in non-negotiable for me AND I'm unwilling to spend $400+ instead of $200 for something ugly just to save myself walking to the trunk for a year. I think their mentality is rampant.

Note: if you take taxis then I certainly see why the doona is better....but walking around to your own car's trunk?!?!

At least someone finally validated me about taxis! A Doona is also less bulky to have in the house than a snap n go. (I live in Israel in a smallish apartment.) I really just want to be safe in taxis and have the option to use them (I often try not to take them when I don't have a carseat, but I do end up giving in plenty because the alternative is miserable).

A Doona doesn't need that much lugging from what I understand. My husband can carry it down the steps for me like he often does the stroller and then once I get to the taxi it's a carseat and then when I leave the taxi it's a stroller again for the appointment.

Best of all, when I finish with it, I can resell it. I don't think I can do that with a regular snap n go.

I am not a trendy person at all. If I got one, it wouldn't be for looks. It would be for practicality.

And considering I'm in Israel, no way would it be my main stroller. Even strollers meant to be strollers wear out here really fast.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:20 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
Since they are in Israel, tell them to check Yad2 next time.

There are lots of good finds there.

Also they should go to Shilav or Motsetsim and ask for a tiyulon, if their infant is over 6 months.

Joie also has a lot of strollers that are really affordable here. Even the City Mini has gone down in price. I see a City Tour for 890 shek. There is really no need for a 3000 shek stroller if a person can't afford it.

Yad2 and also Facebook Marketplace.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:21 pm
Am I the only one who bought a graco travel system for about $170?
I used the car seat for about the first year and then bought the cosco one.
When my baby was little I pushed around the stroller with car seat clicked in. At about 3/4 months I switched to only the stroller. I can probably use the stroller till my baby doesn’t need a stroller anymore.
So in total I spent $230 for an infant car seat, stroller, and car seat.
Yes there were one or two times I thought having a doona would be easier but it’s not worth all that extra money.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:28 pm
amother Gray wrote:
When my baby was little I pushed around the stroller with car seat clicked in. At about 3/4 months I switched to only the stroller. I can probably use the stroller till my baby doesn’t need a stroller anymore.
Yes there were one or two times I thought having a doona would be easier but it’s not worth all that extra money.

We had one, too. Loved it but it was a bit heavy with both the car seat and the stroller. And the stroller itself was heavy. Still loved it though.

And yes we used the stroller from birth until we didn't need a stroller anymore.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:32 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
Joie also has a lot of strollers that are really affordable here. Even the City Mini has gone down in price. I see a City Tour for 890 shek. There is really no need for a 3000 shek stroller if a person can't afford it.

Yad2 and also Facebook Marketplace.

I haven't really seen anything good on Facebook Marketplace in Israel, I only see for outside Israel. But if it works for her why not.

There are also lots of mom and pop shops that sell baby gear and would probably be more willing to bargain a price than the big chains are.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:49 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
Let's not forget that a doona is a CAR SEAT, and NOT a stroller and that there are communities of women that rarely ever travel anywhere by car or bus, they didn't even own a car seat before a doona became trendy, yet they use a doona as their only stroller, even for toddlers. All errands are done by foot. They hold their bags in one hand, and maneuver the doona with the other. Or they hang bags on the handle and they have to hold on to the doona to keep it from flipping over. In those communities it is 100% a peer pressure and keeping up with the Kohens because in those communities, a women wouldn't be caught dead wheeling a snap n go. A snap n go was never a thing in those communities. Anyone pushing a snap n go, is stared at as if they're from mars. And suddenly everyone must have a doona and if one doesn't have a doona, they're made to feel crazy.

Why do you care? People do lots of crazy nonsense. It doesn't mean anything re the actual product

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:52 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:

Women in non driving communities tend to use taxis and public transportation a LOT. So your theory doesn’t stick. These are the biggest beneficiaries of the doona.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:53 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I personally think its weird when a toddler in shoes is in a doona, legs hanging out
Why do people do that?
The toddler long outgrew an infant carseat. It cannot possibly be comfortable or safe

I also think its weird when people use it as full time stroller

Because it's between this or taking a cab with no carseat at all. & child is still within manufacturer's guidelines.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:09 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Women in non driving communities tend to use taxis and public transportation a LOT. So your theory doesn’t stick. These are the biggest beneficiaries of the doona.

Not in the community I come from. Everything is done by foot. And if one needs to travel to Manhattan, they generally take the subway, which is stroller accessible.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:11 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
IMO the doona is the next best thing after sliced bread (almost).

The reason it’s so popular is because it is a phenomenal invention!

It’s great for a car, great for a taxi/Uber, great for taking the bus or train, great for flying! It’s great in narrow shops and supermarket aisles, great if you have to take lots of stairs, great wheeling around inside the house (if you have a small house you know)!

I believe the ones that mock it are either jealous, frugal, people who are wary of new things, people who are always late to the game and will all have one in ten years from now, or people who love to hate everything frum.

I agree with above poster it reminds me a lot of when bugaboo made its appearance.

Posters who claim they ‘know people’ who buy it even if they don’t use cars, well 1- how do you ‘know others intentions? 2 - even though it’s meant for travel it’s small size and light frame tempts you to use it for quick errands 3 - if you happen to have some idiot friends who misuse it grossly, doesn’t negate the product.

Also some claim people buy it because it’s a ‘status symbol’ that’s so preposterous as the doona is so so common that it is no longer cool. It just spread like wildfire since it’s a new luxury which is hard to go back from once you get used to.

Like every other products it has its pros and cons, and for every bunch of people who love it there are several who don’t. I’ve bought and regretted countless baby products in my motherhood life, doona was not one of them. In fact it is on the list of the first things to get again when I have another baby iyh.

No one is mocking. I don’t like it because I don’t find it practical, and I found it to be too heavy. I don’t buy things because everyone else has them, Jewish product or not. If I like something I will get it, and if I don’t I won’t. Why is it so complicated to understand that there are people who just don’t want one?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:20 pm
amother Gray wrote:

I bought for my oldest, 15 years ago. I had a snap n go at some point after that, for at least one of my kids.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:16 pm
keym wrote:

It is more than just the handle not being secure. If you bump the car seat up the stairs, it damages the car seat. Just like a car seat in an accident can no longer be used, a car seat that gets bounced around and bumped up stairs should not be used anymore. Even if there is no visible damage, one cannot always see if the plastic or other components are cracked, warped or otherwise damaged.

I have no problems with doonas per say. I have an issue with how they are used. I also am also one of those moms who hates to see kids ride bikes without helmets, walk in a moving car, or not in the correct car seat.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics