Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
S/O Why the doona hate?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:25 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
No one is mocking. I don’t like it because I don’t find it practical, and I found it to be too heavy. I don’t buy things because everyone else has them, Jewish product or not. If I like something I will get it, and if I don’t I won’t. Why is it so complicated to understand that there are people who just don’t want one?

Because some people assume that if you say you dont like something it's from a place of jealousy or "hating something just because it is popular". I could have gotten one but I chose not to. It wasnt practical for me. It didnt fit in my car easily (too many other car seats/boosters). I like a basket. I could go on... my dislike of it stems from MY needs and from how I see so many abuse it to the point of safety issues.
I dont see the point of buying something just because others like it, its popular etc. It has to work for me. Sometimes people buy it just because it is popular. I am not that fragile.

I also hate people putting their kids at huge safety risks for a fashion statement or to not feel "out of place". Make sure it isnt expired. Make sure it wasnt damaged, abused, in an accident especially if buying used. I wont buy a used car seat. And yeah I would replace if we were in an accident. And I install them correctly. And get the next size when my kid(s) outgrow(s) the one they have.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:30 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
Because some people assume that if you say you dont like something it's from a place of jealousy or "hating something just because it is popular". I could have gotten one but I chose not to. It wasnt practical for me. It didnt fit in my car easily (too many other car seats/boosters). I like a basket. I could go on... my dislike of it stems from MY needs and from how I see so many abuse it to the point of safety issues.
I dont see the point of buying something just because others like it, its popular etc. It has to work for me. Sometimes people buy it just because it is popular. I am not that fragile.

I also hate people putting their kids at huge safety risks for a fashion statement or to not feel "out of place". Make sure it isnt expired. Make sure it wasnt damaged, abused, in an accident especially if buying used. I wont buy a used car seat. And yeah I would replace if we were in an accident. And I install them correctly. And get the next size when my kid(s) outgrow(s) the one they have.

It's so strange that people are literally offended because not everyone likes a doona. It's like a person insult to them. Weird.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:35 pm
It’s not sinas chinam. It’s mostly hate from people who have used it and truly don’t find it helpful. I’m one of those people 👋

I think it’s great for airports and taxis and that’s about it.

I only have one baby right now, but if I have another one close enough in age where they both need a stroller, then what? Sorry, I’m not pushing 2 separate stroller. Better off getting g a regular lightweight car seat that snaps into a double imo.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:38 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
It’s not sinas chinam. It’s mostly hate from people who have used it and truly don’t find it helpful. I’m one of those people 👋

I only have one baby right now, but if I have another one close enough in age where they both need a stroller, then what? Sorry, I’m not pushing 2 separate stroller. Better off getting g a regular lightweight car seat that snaps into a double imo.

Right.
Where does sinas chinam come in here? Did someone mention it?
We're discussing an OBJECT, not a human being for God's sake! Can't we dislike an object anymore without people getting offended?

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:42 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
Right.
Where does sinas chinam come in here? Did someone mention it?
We're discussing an OBJECT, not a human being for God's sake! Can't we dislike an object anymore without people getting offended?

😂😂😂😂😂😂

No, no, it didn’t get that crazy…yet.

I was just using sinas chinam as in baseless hatred as in “hating on the Doona for no reason.” OP was asking what all the hate. So I’m just responding why people hate it. It’s perfectly valid as long as you’ve used it and have come up with an informed opinion.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:48 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
Let's not forget that a doona is a CAR SEAT, and NOT a stroller and that there are communities of women that rarely ever travel anywhere by car or bus, they didn't even own a car seat before a doona became trendy, yet they use a doona as their only stroller, even for toddlers. All errands are done by foot. They hold their bags in one hand, and maneuver the doona with the other. Or they hang bags on the handle and they have to hold on to the doona to keep it from flipping over. In those communities it is 100% a peer pressure and keeping up with the Kohens because in those communities, a women wouldn't be caught dead wheeling a snap n go. A snap n go was never a thing in those communities. Anyone pushing a snap n go, is stared at as if they're from mars. And suddenly everyone must have a doona and if one doesn't have a doona, they're made to feel crazy.
Don't tell me otherwise, because I'm from such a community.

I think, or rather know I'm from the same community, but I never felt crazy for not owning a Doona.
I don't see the need. and I hate how the babys' position in it.
walking everywhere, in house we have a n infant seat, for outdoors a bee, and a better folding travel stroller.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:51 pm

I haven’t used it, it’s not practical for me, and I have no interest in using it.
And yes, you are totally right, for someone in that position a double stroller would make more sense.

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:14 pm
Nothing Makes me shake my head more than seeing a woman in the grocery with a child in her shopping cart and another in a Doona and she’s trying to lug both around aisle by aisle while also handling a phone call…

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:47 pm

I have a neighbor who has twins and has 2 doonas

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:51 pm
mandr wrote:
Nothing Makes me shake my head more than seeing a woman in the grocery with a child in her shopping cart and another in a Doona and she’s trying to lug both around aisle by aisle while also handling a phone call…

What do you suggest she does if she needs to shop with a newborn and a toddler? Obviously she can do without the phone. But I did the same. Put my toddler in the cart, pushed the wagon, and pulled the doona. That's a supermom...doing what she needs to do. Not everyone can afford supermarket delivery, or can pay a sitter to watch the kids when shopping.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:58 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
What do you suggest she does if she needs to shop with a newborn and a toddler? Obviously she can do without the phone. But I did the same. Put my toddler in the cart, pushed the wagon, and pulled the doona. That's a supermom...doing what she needs to do. Not everyone can afford supermarket delivery, or can pay a sitter to watch the kids when shopping.

Mandr remembers the "olden days" when you would put the car seat in the cart and still have room for groceries.

Not enough room once the doonas in.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:30 pm
I see toddlers with shoes in a Doona trying to climb
Out. It’s a car seat for infants for heaven sake!!

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:53 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
I actually know people who needed a car seat and couldn't really afford an expensive stroller so they look at the doona as their stroller.

But it wasn't because it's cool. It's because a 3000 shekel stroller isn't in their budget.

You can buy a stroller plus a car seat for the price (even less!) of a doona

ETA: I purchased a stroller, snap n go and a car seat for less than the price of a doona.
Your friend probably just wanted a doona which is okay.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 12:45 am
amother Mocha wrote:

She can put the car seat inside the back of the shopping cart, or she can wear the baby….

m2m

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:07 am
mandr wrote:

You could always offer to help her …

GLUE

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:08 am
amother Daisy wrote:
And I wish they would make a convertible seat Doona too. That would be so nice.

About 10 years ago one of my neighbors had a toddler car seat that could be turned into a stroller(it did look somewhat a little like a doona)

She did say it was not to practical because it was very hard to turn it into a stroller with the kid inside, she only brought it because she went on airplanes a lot and that was the most practical way to take a toddler car seat.

I don't know if they still make it or what it is called, maybe try to google it.

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:13 am
amother Mocha wrote:

It's not supermom to take a kid in a doona and put the other kid in a shopping cart. It's just impractical and not thought-out.

Doing what you need to do isn't supermom, either.

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:15 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
She can put the car seat inside the back of the shopping cart, or she can wear the baby….

This, and learn to put the phone away sometimes.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 2:04 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

Or she could prefer to do it this way… why is it your business? Is she hurting anyone?

(Btw some babies fall asleep and don’t want to be disturbed, some people need more space in shopping cart than car seat would allow, some people have back issues and can’t wear babies, gosh you must be harsh to live near!)

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 2:04 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
It's not supermom to take a kid in a doona and put the other kid in a shopping cart. It's just impractical and not thought-out.

Doing what you need to do isn't supermom, either.

Again, is she hurting anyone?
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics