Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Calzones

greeneyes

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 11:50 am
Somebody pm'd me for this recipe, so I figured I'd share it with everyone. I got the recipe for these yummy calzones from the Yated Neeman a while back. Enjoy!

Dough:
1 package dry yeast
1 tsp honey
1 cup warm water
3 cups flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp olive oil

Dissolve yeast in warm water with honey. Let rest for 5-10 minutes to make sure the yeat is bubbling. Put into your mixer & add remaining ingredients, adding salt last (you might kill the yeast if you add it too early). (I knead the dough by hand.) Oil the dough in your mixing bowl & cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes. At this point you can put it into a sprayed plastic bag and keep refrigerated for up to 2 days.

To make the calzones: Divide dough into 4 even pieces for larger calzones & 6 pieces for smaller sized ones. Flour a parchment sheet lightly & pinch each piece into a ball, tightening into itself underneath. This will help hold their shape better. Cover with plastic & let rise for 15-20 minutes.

Working with one ball at a time, roll each ball into a 9 inch circle. spread filling on one half of the dough, leaving an inch border (or the filling will leak out). Loosely fold over the filled dough, trapping as much air inside as you can. Firmly press to seal, using the tines of a fork.

Brush with beaten egg and bake for 15-20 minutes. Cut a slit in the top of each one before putting them into the oven to allow the steam to escape. Serve with room temp. or warmed marinara sauce.

Broccoli-Cheese Filling:
1 10 oz package of frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
15 oz container ricotta cheese (or 1/2 container cottage cheese & 1/2 package farmers cheese) (I use part skim ricotta)
1 egg
salt
pepper
8 ounces shredded mozzerella cheese

Combine & refrigerate until ready to use.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals