Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bas mitzvah "mitzvah project" or theme ideas
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 7:40 pm
I would like my daughter's bas mitzvah to be more than just a party but she's drawing a blank at coming up with something that's Jewishly meaningful to her. Let's leave aside how that makes me sad... I made a bunch of suggestions that she rejected but she is interested in hearing more suggestions to see if anything talks to her.

She was not interested in making packages for tzedakah or bikur cholim.
Challah is too "everyone did that."

She likes arts n crafts, though you can come up with a craft for pretty much anything so that doesn't narrow down much.

Birthday is close to Chanukah (yes we're running a little short on time here...), that didn't trigger any ideas for her but it's... something?

Anyone want to throw things at us and see if something sticks?

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 7:41 pm
Mezuzah case?

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 7:42 pm
Jewish theme paint night, like kever rochel?

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 7:44 pm
Tefila- tehillim/ siddur

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 7:45 pm
Making sew tie pillows/blankets to distribute at the nursing home

Painting canvases with different arts for individuals in nursing home or to be displayed in their lobby

Pooh

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 7:54 pm
Keep the ideas coming. I was about to start a thread identical to op

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 7:57 pm
making alcohol ink bookmarks/trivets/family name/room plaques

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 7:58 pm
Thanks, keep it coming please!

Last edited by seeker on Wed, Oct 19 2022, 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 8:00 pm
Dd once went to a bat mitzvah where each girl decorated a pillow case for the children's ward at the local hospital.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 8:02 pm
Jewish name crafts
You can do anything with that although one really nice one is frosted spray paint on a mirror, with stencil outline of the name

Chanukah - oil infused herb jars
With a lesson about jews rising like oil

Chanukah - the power of a jewish woman (chana, yehudis) fits in perfectly
There are gorgeous songs by female singers but I can't remember the name. I know Sara Hecht has one

You could also do something with her name depending what it is.
There's no shortage of nice bas mitzvah club crafts, then you just make up a connection

mommy100

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 8:03 pm
Being that it’s close to chanukah you can really put together crafts package to give out in hospital.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 8:06 pm
We should made poured resin challa trays and did round challah braiding.
If it’s close to Chanukah - maybe the trays could work for menorahs.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 8:20 pm
I am unclear. Are you looking for a project to do with the girls at her bat mitzvah, is she/you looking for a way to raise funds to donate in honor of her bat mitzvah? Are you looking for an item that she can make to present to someone/donate in honor of her bat mitzvah?

I also think ideally you /she should be able to take her interest/hobby and make it into a mitzvah.

Ie. If a girl likes baseball, teach/ref. a little league or donate your time to the kids who are a little less agile and tutor them.

Enjoy baking- have a Chanukah bake sale and raise funds for FC

Like babies-be a mother’s helper to the overwhelmed neighbor.

Enjoy painting- a 14 year old painted murals at our shul in the group’s rooms.

Like beading-make bracelet to donate at either an even for young girls at either I-shine or for residents of a ECF.

The point is, teach her to take what she enjoys and the gifts/talents Hashem gave her and find a way to use them for a mitzvah.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 8:21 pm
Leather siddur/tehillim covers
Shabbos themed paint party
My favorite - Al hamichya poster with cut outs from magazines and framed

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 8:24 pm
amother Lime wrote:
I am unclear. Are you looking for a project to do with the girls at her bat mitzvah, is she/you looking for a way to raise funds to donate in honor of her bat mitzvah? Are you looking for an item that she can make to present to someone/donate in honor of her bat mitzvah?
Not fundraising but can be either at the bat mitzvah party, or something she does before and maybe she can share something about it. Don't care if it's something they make for themselves or to donate, as long as they're engaged in something of meaning.

I also think ideally you /she should be able to take her interest/hobby and make it into a mitzvah.
Sure but art can apply to many mitzvahs and we need to pick a direction. But it's good food for thought, I can ask her to brainstorm along those lines.

Ie. If a girl likes baseball, teach/ref. a little league or donate your time to the kids who are a little less agile and tutor them.

Enjoy baking- have a Chanukah bake sale and raise funds for FC

Like babies-be a mother’s helper to the overwhelmed neighbor.

Enjoy painting- a 14 year old painted murals at our shul in the group’s rooms.

Like beading-make bracelet to donate at either an even for young girls at either I-shine or for residents of a ECF.

The point is, teach her to take what she enjoys and the gifts/talents Hashem gave her and find a way to use them for a mitzvah.

Thank you Heart Thanks apply to all but I Picked this post to reply to because it included a question at the beginning that I wanted to answer Smile

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 8:43 pm
Chanukah is a great time to organize a toy drive for children in the hospital or a coat drive for people who can't afford winter coats.

If you want to do a craft at the bat mitzvah, you can make Chanukah candles out of beeswax sheets which isn't messy like hot wax.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 8:56 pm
Mazal tov! So nice for you and your daughter. You could do a Modiin themed party and focus on the Maccabees and modern day charities. What if you set up a "dig" in a sandbox and each girl finds a clay lamp with a small piece of paper containing a charity. (to make it easier, you can pick 5 and repeat) Etsy sells clay lamps for $2.99 a piece. Here is a list of Modiin charities https://modiinapp.com/en/categ.....odiin
You can then have a project for the girls to complete for those charities such as a decorated blanket or a teddy bear. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1.....36082
Pre-plan to make sure the organizations can accept donations and that you have a plan for getting them there or look for local Jewish organizations like Chai Lifeline.

You can serve Israeli food or appetizers, latkes, and sufganiyot while playing Chanukah music. You can come up with games that are variations on dreydl and give out small prizes or Chocolate gelt. You could do a Chanukah quiz show like Family Feud. You might consider having a magician or even a cooking teacher who will teach them to make a Chanukah dish or do candle making. Each girl can go home with a pretty box of Chanukah candles.
I would suggest hiring 2-3 older teen girls as helpers.

Here's a link for party and craft supplies https://www.tjssc.com/?gclid=C.....D_BwE

mary6

Post Wed, Oct 19 2022, 9:07 pm
Maybe because it’s around chanuka time you can do candle making/ wax hands or something like that.

Pooh

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 10:18 pm
It’s really coming up, have you decided on something op? I’m still at a loss…

mary6

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 10:29 pm
Yes we are going to be making boxes up of books games toys draidel stickers. Maybe chocolate coins and I will be getting the girls to decorate them and write a card and I am giving them to an organisation who will give them out on chanuka. Smile
I’ve also got entertainment coming for the girls. - an artist will write each girls name for them on a banner and they get to take that home.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics