Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Does anyone else's baby hate the doona?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:16 pm
Trying to figure out if he hates all carseats or is there something about the position of the doona he hates ? The way he is slightly slumped forward. He isn't laying back in a comfortable position. His body looks bent in an awkward way.
The narrowness of it. His shoulders reach side to side of the doona and he basically has no space . When I want to take him out I can't lift him up I have to first turn him to the side and then lift out..also impossible to put him in without him sitting on top of the buckles and then reach under and pull the buckles out from under him. Are all carseats like this ?
No he isn't a toddler. He is 2 months old and he screams the second I put him in.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:20 pm
If I was a baby I would hate the doona too lol. Its designed for moms convenience instead of baby's comfort.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:21 pm
I bought a doona for my fourth kid (my other car seat expired). She hated it. Screamed every time I strapped her in. And if she fell asleep in it, she was very restless and not comfortable.
I didn’t have this with any of my other kids.

I plan on selling mine and getting something more comfortable.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:22 pm
Most baby's hate the doona.

amother
Aqua

It's a different angle than other car seats. I see so many babies screaming in it. See if you can go to a place like buy buy baby where you can put your baby into different car seats on display and see how he reacts to them.

yiddishmom

My daughter also hated it. I was debating if I should try a diff car seat, but I assumed she would hate all of them because she likes being on her stomach.

She used to shriek when I put her in it until about 6/7 months. She is now 9 months, on occasion she'll fall asleep in it when we drive long distances. I wish she'd sleep better in it, because I always need go calcite my travels around her nap times, otherwise it's a disaster.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:31 pm
Same he hates car rides and I assume it's because he hates the doona. He is perfectly happy and I put him in the doona and he instantly screams. Is it normal that his chin touches his chest also...he's sort of slumped in it. Are other carseats in different positions ? What about space to put baby in without him sitting on top of the buckles ?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Same he hates car rides and I assume it's because he hates the doona. He is perfectly happy and I put him in the doona and he instantly screams. Is it normal that his chin touches his chest also...he's sort of slumped in it. Are other carseats in different positions ? What about space to put baby in without him sitting on top of the buckles ?

Chin to chest is not safe at his age. Are you putting his tush all the way back? It doesn't sound like he's in safely.

amother
Cyclamen

My baby really likes the doona. I think the position makes her tummy feel nice. When going on walks I put her her bassinet of bugaboo and she cries sometimes.

liveandlove.ima

Oh yes. It's a love or hate situation. Lol

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:36 pm
Did u take out the infant insert? That makes it really squishy

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:37 pm
My baby screamed in the doona when I put her in as an infant. Truthfully, she wasn’t a happy baby in the next infant car seat I ended up switching her into either. But I didn’t think she looked comfortable in the narrowness of the seat, combined with the angle. I gave my doona to a relative and went back to Graco. Can you ask another car seat owner to lend you their car seat for an hour so you could try it out?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:42 pm
Please make sure it is installed correctly, Chin to chest is not ok. You can google cpst near you and get it checked for free.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 9:57 pm
Chin to chest is dangerous as if affects their airways. Here are some troubleshooting questions:
- is the crotch buckle as close to his tush as possible? If there’s extra space, you might need to add a rolled burp cloth in between his tush and the buckle.
- are the straps tight enough that you can’t pinch them? Loose straps can affect the posture.
- is the chest clip at armpit level?
- how’s the install? Is the angle of the base correct? If you use it without the base, is the car seat at the right angle?
If he’s buckled in correctly and the car seat is installed according to the manual, and his chin is still to his chest, then he might need a different car seat as this posture is unsafe for him. He’s crying because he can’t breath properly, not because he hates car seats.
Another thought- if the angle of the seat is a problem, you can try installing the car seat in a different seat, if you can get a better position with a better recline.
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 10:37 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
Did u take out the infant insert? That makes it really squishy

I took out the infant insert from the bottom but the side impact cushion is still in..the one around his head. Sometimes it seems like the bottom of the impact cushion is crowding his shoulders which don't have space. If I lower his body so his shoulders are below the cushion and only his head is in between it then that's when his chin slumps forward. But if I try to raise him up higher then his shoulders are basically squashed in between the side impact cushion.. but taking it out seems to lower the safety of the car seat no?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 10:44 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Chin to chest is dangerous as if affects their airways. Here are some troubleshooting questions:
- is the crotch buckle as close to his tush as possible? If there’s extra space, you might need to add a rolled burp cloth in between his tush and the buckle.
- are the straps tight enough that you can’t pinch them? Loose straps can affect the posture.
- is the chest clip at armpit level?
- how’s the install? Is the angle of the base correct? If you use it without the base, is the car seat at the right angle?
If he’s buckled in correctly and the car seat is installed according to the manual, and his chin is still to his chest, then he might need a different car seat as this posture is unsafe for him. He’s crying because he can’t breath properly, not because he hates car seats.
Another thought- if the angle of the seat is a problem, you can try installing the car seat in a different seat, if you can get a better position with a better recline.
Good luck!

I will check the straps again tomorrow but I'm positive the recline is right and he's still not really laying back enough for his head to tilt back. . He happens to have lower chin to chest angle in General even when people hold him . But the doona seems to make it worse.

For those of you with this issue and baby hated doona what carseat seemed to work better?

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 10:47 pm
My baby (now 18 months!) still loves the doona! We no longer use it as a car seat as her legs are too long, but take her in a stroll in it all the time. She insists!

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 10:48 pm
Make sure the straps are coming from behind his shoulders, not on top
The headrest cushion should be adjustable (mine was but it’s an older model)

gr82no

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 11:49 pm
amother Plum wrote:
My baby (now 18 months!) still loves the doona! We no longer use it as a car seat as her legs are too long, but take her in a stroll in it all the time. She insists!

I thought the doona was a car seat with wheels. Not a stroller.

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 11:52 pm
My baby hated it
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics