Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
נוח vs נח
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

נוח or נח
נוח  
 1%  [ 3 ]
נח  
 98%  [ 226 ]
Total Votes : 229

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 7:48 pm
Which one is it? I have a son named Noach and we spell it נוח. Someone saw his name on his yarmulke in shul and commented that it isn’t the way to spell it and we should make sure it’s correct by his Kesuba. The name is from the Torah so that means we have to spell it that way?

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 7:49 pm
Why would you spell it different than it is in the Torah? Unless it's spelled two different ways in different parts. But if it's always spelled נח, I'd imagine you should also.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 7:51 pm
He’s named after someone; I just spelled it the way I thought it should be spelled and didn’t think about it too much.

amother
Pansy

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 7:55 pm
Very important to make sure to have the correct spelling of his name, please speak with a Rav.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 7:55 pm
The person you named after spelled it with a vav?
And I agree that it's strange to spell it with a vav. There is a shulchan aruch that lists names and their spellings. You cant just make up a spelling.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 7:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Which one is it? I have a son named Noach and we spell it נוח. Someone saw his name on his yarmulke in shul and commented that it isn’t the way to spell it and we should make sure it’s correct by his Kesuba. The name is from the Torah so that means we have to spell it that way?

Yes.
Halacha takes things like spelling of names very seriously.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 7:59 pm
But why?
A different child of mine has a Hebrew name that I don’t think is in the Torah. Why do I get to choose spelling for that and not for my son?
Why can’t I choose the spelling just like I can choose the name?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:01 pm
נוח means comfortable.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:04 pm
I'm almost sure that if a name is misspelled on the kesuba, it's invalid. Check with your Rav.
Why would you spell Noach with a vav?

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
But why?
A different child of mine has a Hebrew name that I don’t think is in the Torah. Why do I get to choose spelling for that and not for my son?

You don't get to choose the spelling of any name. Every Hebrew name comes from somewhere. Either the torah or nach.... it's important to spell a Hebrew name the right way.
What's the other name?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:06 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
I'm almost sure that if a name is misspelled on the kesuba, it's invalid. Check with your Rav.
Why would you spell Noach with a vav?

This is so interesting because I grew up frum and while I do know spelling makes a difference on the kesuba, I never knew that it is t up to the parents how to spell it.
I just though that’s how it should be spelled esp bc no nekudos so the vav helps.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is so interesting because I grew up frum and while I do know spelling makes a difference on the kesuba, I never knew that it is t up to the parents how to spell it.
I just though that’s how it should be spelled esp bc no nekudos so the vav helps.

It's not up to the parents how to spell a Hebrew name. You spell it the way it says in the torah/nach/chazal....
When we name a child, we always look up the correct spelling.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:19 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
You don't get to choose the spelling of any name. Every Hebrew name comes from somewhere. Either the torah or tanach.... it's important to spell a Hebrew name the right way.
What's the other name?

I can think of several Hebrew names with 2 spellings.

איל , אייל
אילת, איילת
ליבי, לבי

There are more, but some are trying to get a specific point across
לי-יה is the parents trying to emphasize the meaning "I have Gd" vs ליה which could be given by secular parents.

Secular parents give אליאנה and religious ones give אליענה

Maya spelled מיה is usually religious, secular would write מאיה.

Sometimes Anglos make Aliya and want to continue to be called by the Anglo pronounciation of their name, so they write רייצל instead of רחל, etc.

amother
Petunia

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:21 pm
My mesader kedushin insisted I change the spelling of my name for my kesuba. I had no problem with it and later found out that a cousin with the same name was also told the same thing by her wedding. One MO one yeshivish not even the same country.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:23 pm
Op, I'm sorry to say this but this is a bit astounding that both you and your husband would treat this subject so lightly. Torah names are not to be messed with.
There are halachic volumes written about how to spell names.
The name is Torah name, and we know that every word, letter and even the crowns on the letters are accountws for.
No, you dont get to choose how to spell a name, unless it's the English. Then you can decide if you want to spell it Noah, Noach, noyach or any other version.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:31 pm
I dont understand what you are asking. Am I missing something here?

Of course a name from the Torah is spelled the way it is in Tanach.

There is a reason that נח it is spelled that way-and HKB”H wrote it.

So no, you dont get to “decide”. I mean technically you can but then the name is not actually נח.

So you can name your child א,ב,ג,ד if youd like. Or any random letters but it wont be the name נח as in from the Torah.

If you want to play around with spelling then do it with the english spelling as that has no kedusha or significance and can be spelled any way you like it.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:31 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
I can think of several Hebrew names with 2 spellings.

איל , אייל
אילת, איילת
ליבי, לבי

There are more, but some are trying to get a specific point across
לי-יה is the parents trying to emphasize the meaning "I have Gd" vs ליה which could be given by secular parents.

Secular parents give אליאנה and religious ones give אליענה

Maya spelled מיה is usually religious, secular would write מאיה.

Sometimes Anglos make Aliya and want to continue to be called by the Anglo pronounciation of their name, so they write רייצל instead of רחל, etc.

I'm not an expert but I don't think all those names you listed are considered "real" names. Rav chaim zt"l was very vocal about these types of modern names that have no Torah source. He held that you can't just make up a name.
I personally know several people who had their names changed after consulting with Rav Chaim.
So the point you're trying to make- that several hebrew names can be spelled in two ways- doesn't mean there's a halachic basis to it just because parents are doing it. They may just be uninformed.

I do know there is a machlokes on how to spell the name Akiva. Some spell it like the gemara does, with an aleph at the end. Others spell it with a hey at the end (because of the passuk Ohr zarua...)
There is a responsa on this from Rav Moshe.

I believe there may be other names that have two different spellings- one way according to the Torah, and another according to gemara.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
But why?

Delete

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:38 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
Are you serious or is this a spoof post?

Wow, way to make a person feel dumb.
I clearly didn’t know any of this and yet there’s a way to say it. If someone asks you a question in real life and you’re surprised that they don’t know the answer do you say ‘is this a spoof?’. (If it was a spoof, do you think I’d say ‘haha yes you got me’?)

amother
Almond

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
But why?

You may want to ask your rav about the spelling of that name too. I gave a name that's a Yiddish version of a Hebrew name and we were told we could choose part of the spelling, but I checked specifically for this reason (didn't want to cause any issues with kesuba). The reason why we could choose was a technicality, my point is that you may want to make sure it really is ok for you to choose that spelling.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names