Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
נוח vs נח
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

נוח or נח
נוח  
 1%  [ 3 ]
נח  
 98%  [ 226 ]
Total Votes : 229

Genius

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 11:18 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I didn't know about Rina and it an in israel since 1993 LOL
Isn't Blima the yiddishe pronounciation of Bluma?

People who pronounce a vuv ee would call Bluma, Blima. Then there are people who spell the name בלימה and claim that it's a different name.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 11:24 am
Aylat wrote:
100%
Good for you for asking and following up with questions to gain understanding. לא הביישן לומד. I'm surprised at the tone of some of the responses. I, and I'm sure many others, are also learning from your questions.

Btw a follow-up question I have - does misspelling really make the כתובה problematic? I remember learning the importance of spelling names and place-names correctly in the context of a גט (ch"v) not כתובה. Can anyone bring sources?

Misspelling is a problem on a kesuba and most rabbis who will be mesader kiddushin are particular about it. On a gett it's even more crucial. It's in a way an even more far-reaching type of halachic contract and the possibility that a misspelled name will invalidate it is taken very seriously.

As far as op asking about Noach with a vav, there's no serious halachic contract in the spelling on a child's yarmulka or the artwork they bring home from morah, but if I gave a child a Biblical name I'd definitely want it spelled correctly. I would want to teach the child to know where their name is from, to be proud of it, and to spell it correctly. I wouldn't spell Sarah with a samech or Michal with a chet even though it's my God given right as a mother to name the child whatever I want.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 11:27 am
amother Scarlet wrote:
What about Yiddish names?
I know 2 Raizels who were told to spell their name with one yud and not 2. If it’s a made up name why does that matter? Who decides?

To op, I never knew what a big deal this was. Happy you asked

I think that the issue there might be that two yuds is Shem Hashem, which we try to avoid writing in casual contexts.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 11:34 am
This is all interesting.

My daughter’s name is Tzipora. We spell it צפורה, just like it’s spelled in the chumash. But sometimes people (especially Israelis) spell it ציפורה.

Shouldn’t the same thing apply here?

Genius

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 11:40 am
amother Banana wrote:
This is all interesting.

My daughter’s name is Tzipora. We spell it צפורה, just like it’s spelled in the chumash. But sometimes people (especially Israelis) spell it ציפורה.

I'd imagine that it does. Why would Israelis add a י? I'd assume they'd take off vowels, not add on.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 11:41 am
Elfrida wrote:
I think that the issue there might be that two yuds is Shem Hashem, which we try to avoid writing in casual contexts.

Oh interesting. Didn’t think of that.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 12:01 pm
So you need to be careful when it comes to a kesubah and a get. Zehu.

Everyone is getting very carried away here.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 12:02 pm
Genius wrote:
I'd imagine that it does. Why would Israelis add a י? I'd assume they'd take off vowels, not add on.

I think Israelis frequently add yuds like that to make it clear it’s a chirik sound, when they’re writing without nekudos.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 2:45 pm
amother Marigold wrote:

As far as op asking about Noach with a vav, there's no serious halachic contract in the spelling on a child's yarmulka or the artwork they bring home from morah, but if I gave a child a Biblical name I'd definitely want it spelled correctly. I would want to teach the child to know where their name is from, to be proud of it, and to spell it correctly. I wouldn't spell Sarah with a samech or Michal with a chet even though it's my God given right as a mother to name the child whatever I want.

Okay, this is a funny one!!!

I know someone who named their daughter Basya. Call her Bassi.
They live in EY and didn't want her to be called batya or bati.
so they LEGALLY spelled her name Bais SAMECH YUD!!!

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 2:53 pm
That IS funny 😁

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 3:03 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
What about Yiddish names?
I know 2 Raizels who were told to spell their name with one yud and not 2. If it’s a made up name why does that matter? Who decides?

To op, I never knew what a big deal this was. Happy you asked

There is a section in Shulchan Aruch that lists names and their correct spellings. I think it's in Yoreh deah, but not sure. My husband once showed it to me. I can ask him where it is if u want.
That's why many won't make up a name, and why Rav Chaim was against it.
(There was a famous example recently, with the little baby Eliana Cohen from Florida, who was born with a rare medical condition. It was all over the news because they raised 2 million in a few days. Upon the advice of Rav Chaim, they changed the baby's name to Chana.)
There are also certain rules about letters used if it's a Hebrew name vs a Yiddish name. I think a Hebrew name gets a hey at the end and a Yiddish name gets an aleph.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 3:09 pm
Genius wrote:
People who pronounce a vuv ee would call Bluma, Blima. Then there are people who spell the name בלימה and claim that it's a different name.

I believe Bluma/Blima is spelled בלומא/בלימא.

I know someone who has a son Dovid, called Duvi, who spelled his name on his yarmulke דובי. It irked me every time I saw it, because it technically read as an entirely different name, Dov. Dovid doesn't have a beis.

goodmorning

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 3:44 pm
amother Banana wrote:
This is all interesting.

Actually, it's spelled צִפֹּרָ֥ה in the Chumash (chaser, without the vav).

(That said, this is an example of the time where the "correct" spelling is not necessarily the same as the Tanach spelling of the name. IIRC the Beis Shmuel discusses the spelling of the name Tzipora and says to spell with malei so that it should be not confused with the name Tzifra.)

goodmorning

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 3:46 pm
Genius wrote:

I don't know about בלימה with a hey (never heard of that as a name) but בלומא and בלימא are halachically spelled differently depending on pronunciation -- meaning that one would not want to write a kesubah or get that says בלומא for a woman who pronounces her name Blima and vice versa.

Genius

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 3:48 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I believe Bluma/Blima is spelled בלומא/בלימא.

I know someone who has a son Dovid, called Duvi, who spelled his name on his yarmulke דובי. It irked me every time I saw it, because it technically read as an entirely different name, Dov. Dovid doesn't have a beis.

No. Bluma and Blima are both בלומא. Many chassidim pronounce it ee instead of u. בלימא is incorrect according to everyone. בלימה is the name of my relative. In my opinion it's weird, but we don't judge...

goodmorning

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 4:12 pm
Genius wrote:
No. Bluma and Blima are both בלומא. Many chassidim pronounce it ee instead of u. בלימא is incorrect according to everyone. בלימה is the name of my relative. In my opinion it's weird, but we don't judge...

Not according to the (Litvish) dayan and mesader gittin who told me that there's a halachic difference in names between Bluma and Blima and that one has to be careful to spell the name with a vav or yud accordingly.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 4:16 pm
goodmorning wrote:
Not according to the (Litvish) dayan and mesader gittin who told me that there's a halachic difference in names between Bluma and Blima and that one has to be careful to spell the name with a vav or yud accordingly.

The Litvish Dayan is likely not aware that the name is spelled like Bluma but pronounced like Blima. A chassidish person would also likely not take a Litvish Rav’s advice on name spellings.

goodmorning

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 4:42 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
The Litvish Dayan is likely not aware that the name is spelled like Bluma but pronounced like Blima. A chassidish person would also likely not take a Litvish Rav’s advice on name spellings.

The Litvish dayan was responding to the claim that someone made that the name (for someone who pronounces it as Blima) should be spelled with a vav. He rejected that premise.

But <shrug>. Obviously ask your own rav how to spell names that are relevant to you, and one should obviously not take action based on the word of anonymous people on the Internet.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:32 pm
The issue will come up by kedushin and chv get.
It will also maybe make your son sound ignorant, and it will confuse most people writing his name.
So if I were you I would change it.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 8:41 pm
goodmorning wrote:
Actually, it's spelled צִפֹּרָ֥ה in the Chumash (chaser, without the vav).

(That said, this is an example of the time where the "correct" spelling is not necessarily the same as the Tanach spelling of the name. IIRC the Beis Shmuel discusses the spelling of the name Tzipora and says to spell with malei so that it should be not confused with the name Tzifra.)

Yes, like I said, we spell it צפורה. We specifically looked it up in the chumash.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names