Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
נוח vs נח
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

נוח or נח
נוח  
 1%  [ 3 ]
נח  
 98%  [ 226 ]
Total Votes : 229

goodmorning

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:12 pm
amother Banana wrote:
Yes, like I said, we spell it צפורה. We specifically looked it up in the chumash.

I'm confused. If you looked it up in the Chumash, you would have seen it spelled without a vav.

וַיּ֥וֹאֶל מֹשֶׁ֖ה לָשֶׁ֣בֶת אֶת־הָאִ֑ישׁ וַיִּתֵּ֛ן אֶת־צִפֹּרָ֥ה בִתּ֖וֹ לְמֹשֶֽׁה׃
וַתִּקַּ֨ח צִפֹּרָ֜ה צֹ֗ר וַתִּכְרֹת֙ אֶת־עָרְלַ֣ת בְּנָ֔הּ וַתַּגַּ֖ע לְרַגְלָ֑יו וַתֹּ֕אמֶר כִּ֧י חֲתַן־דָּמִ֛ים אַתָּ֖ה לִֽי׃
וַיִּקַּ֗ח יִתְרוֹ֙ חֹתֵ֣ן מֹשֶׁ֔ה אֶת־צִפֹּרָ֖ה אֵ֣שֶׁת מֹשֶׁ֑ה אַחַ֖ר שִׁלּוּחֶֽיהָ׃

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 2:24 am
I'm so happy that the tone of this thread switched to one of learning and conversation. I actually showed DH this thread and it really gave us food for thought. I'm curious to hear your thoughts about spelling a name that is the hebrew version of a yiddish name. Don't think it's in the Torah. Do I get to decide the spelling of that one? It's a normal name but don't think there is any source for it. WWYD?

salt

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 2:37 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm so happy that the tone of this thread switched to one of learning and conversation. I actually showed DH this thread and it really gave us food for thought. I'm curious to hear your thoughts about spelling a name that is the hebrew version of a yiddish name. Don't think it's in the Torah. Do I get to decide the spelling of that one? It's a normal name but don't think there is any source for it. WWYD?

Do you mean like Shaindy -> Yaffa.
If the Hebrew version is a word, spell it like that word is spelt. Even if it's not a name of a person from the Torah, is it a word in the Torah?
eg the word Yaffa is not the name of someone in the Torah but as a word it appears in the Torah and is spelt יפה

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 2:45 am
salt wrote:
Do you mean like Shaindy -> Yaffa.
If the Hebrew version is a word, spell it like that word is spelt. Even if it's not a name of a person from the Torah, is it a word in the Torah?
eg the word Yaffa is not the name of someone in the Torah but as a word it appears in the Torah and is spelt יפה

How do I find out? Is there somewhere I can look it up?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 2:58 am
Genius wrote:
No. Bluma and Blima are both בלומא. Many chassidim pronounce it ee instead of u. בלימא is incorrect according to everyone. בלימה is the name of my relative. In my opinion it's weird, but we don't judge...

בלימה in modern Hebrew means brakes (in a car) Smile

salt

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 3:12 am
amother OP wrote:
How do I find out? Is there somewhere I can look it up?

What how do you find out how to spell a hebrew word?
Concordance. See where the word appears in the Torah.
If it's a modern word and doesn't appear in the Torah, look it up in a Hebrew dictionary.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 3:24 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I believe Bluma/Blima is spelled בלומא/בלימא.

I know someone who has a son Dovid, called Duvi, who spelled his name on his yarmulke דובי. It irked me every time I saw it, because it technically read as an entirely different name, Dov. Dovid doesn't have a beis.

I would read it as Dubi, nickname for Dov.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 7:35 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I would read it as Dubi, nickname for Dov.

Dubi is not used in my circles. No one in my circles read it as Dubi.
דובי is Dovi, which is דוב

Last edited by Amelia Bedelia on Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:32 am
Just got this ad

תיבת נוח - המחזמר המרהיב לחנוכה בהשתתפות רינת גבאי ושורת כוכבים נוספים. עכשיו באתר ההטבות רמי לוי המועדון, כרטיס ב-49.90 ₪ בלבד!!!
שירים, תפאורה, תלבושות מרהיבות והרבה הומור וכיף לכל המשפחה!
רכשו עכשיו! עד גמר המלאי:
https://hamoadon.rami-levy.co......=6015
כרטיס אשראי רמי לוי פשוט לחסוך
להסרה השב הסר

Apparently נוח is acceptable in contemporary Hebrew. Go know!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:26 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
Just got this ad

תיבת נוח - המחזמר המרהיב לחנוכה בהשתתפות רינת גבאי ושורת כוכבים נוספים. עכשיו באתר ההטבות רמי לוי המועדון, כרטיס ב-49.90 ₪ בלבד!!!
שירים, תפאורה, תלבושות מרהיבות והרבה הומור וכיף לכל המשפחה!
רכשו עכשיו! עד גמר המלאי:
https://hamoadon.rami-levy.co......=6015
כרטיס אשראי רמי לוי פשוט לחסוך
להסרה השב הסר

Apparently נוח is acceptable in contemporary Hebrew. Go know!

If you open the link you will see that it's spelled נח.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:45 am
goodmorning wrote:
I'm confused. If you looked it up in the Chumash, you would have seen it spelled without a vav.

וַיּ֥וֹאֶל מֹשֶׁ֖ה לָשֶׁ֣בֶת אֶת־הָאִ֑ישׁ וַיִּתֵּ֛ן אֶת־צִפֹּרָ֥ה בִתּ֖וֹ לְמֹשֶֽׁה׃
וַתִּקַּ֨ח צִפֹּרָ֜ה צֹ֗ר וַתִּכְרֹת֙ אֶת־עָרְלַ֣ת בְּנָ֔הּ וַתַּגַּ֖ע לְרַגְלָ֑יו וַתֹּ֕אמֶר כִּ֧י חֲתַן־דָּמִ֛ים אַתָּ֖ה לִֽי׃
וַיִּקַּ֗ח יִתְרוֹ֙ חֹתֵ֣ן מֹשֶׁ֔ה אֶת־צִפֹּרָ֖ה אֵ֣שֶׁת מֹשֶׁ֑ה אַחַ֖ר שִׁלּוּחֶֽיהָ׃

I don't know about Tziporah per se. But I know that some names are spelled differently in different parts of Tanach.
For example Dovid is spelled Daled Vav Daled in the chumash (and halachicly). But in Divrei Hayomim, it's spelled Daled Vav Yud Daled like the tefilla "Vayevarch Dovid".
So someone can easily look in Tanach and still spell it the "wrong" way.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:10 am
Its spelt like this:

צ

(sorry! LOL )

Genius

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:12 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
בלימה in modern Hebrew means brakes (in a car) Smile

Doesn't it mean nothing in lashon hakodesh? I have a feeling that this is a babbas am haratzos somewhere up in that family tree. I guess I'll wait for kesuba time to find out. Or I might conduct an investigation if I'll be up to it.
This is an interesting convo. Thanks OP

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:14 am
goodmorning wrote:

A family member went to a gadol for a brocha for a shidduch, and he said she should spell her name as צפרה as that is how it is written in the chumash. A short while later she got engaged, and her kesuba spells it the same way.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:44 am
Genius wrote:
Doesn't it mean nothing in lashon hakodesh? I have a feeling that this is a babbas am haratzos somewhere up in that family tree. I guess I'll wait for kesuba time to find out. Or I might conduct an investigation if I'll be up to it.
This is an interesting convo. Thanks OP

It does indeed mean in lashon hakodesh nothing or nothingness acc. to my RH machzor.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:51 am
amother Fern wrote:
A family member went to a gadol for a brocha for a shidduch, and he said she should spell her name as צפרה as that is how it is written in the chumash. A short while later she got engaged, and her kesuba spells it the same way.

Good you mentioned this example (of so many more) to show that name spelling in hebrew IS NOT a small matter.

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 12:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

Even if it's not in the Torah, it may be in the shulchan aruch which lists a lot of names.
I would ask a knowledgeable rav.

Someone I know wanted to name their child after a great grandmother who was called Edel. On the matzeiva it said Edel. They weren't sure if her real name was Ettel or Eidel. They asked a very chashuv rav who was well versed in these things. He told them that the name is Aidel and they could call her Adina.
They ended up calling her Aidel (or Aidy)

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 1:06 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
Even if it's not in the Torah, it may be in the shulchan aruch which lists a lot of names.
I would ask a knowledgeable rav.

Someone I know wanted to name their child after a great grandmother who was called Edel. On the matzeiva it said Edel. They weren't sure if her real name was Ettel or Eidel. They asked a very chashuv rav who was well versed in these things. He told them that the name is Aidel and they could call her Adina.
They ended up calling her Aidel (or Aidy)

And we asked about calling a child Gayla after a great grandmother and were told to call Gayla and not Gila (same meaning). I think with a lot of yidish names there are no real rules, after all the names were local names in the local language. They may not be sourced in lashon hakodesh at all (although Gayla does seem to be)

If the name is lashon hakodesh there are clear sources for the spelling. צפרה is clearly written chaser - this is discussed in poskim. נח is the full form of the name.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 2:37 pm
My daughter is Shayna
I spell it שיינא
Someone got her a necklace that says שיינע which I say is incorrect because that changes it from a noun to an adjective
The teacher wrote שינה and I corrected her by saying she beautiful, not sleeping beauty.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 2:38 pm
I think for yiddish names there is more leeway in spelling but you should understand the grammatical effects of what you are doing
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names