Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What shabbos food can be made Wednesday or Thursday?

bargainlover

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 4:35 pm
I’m trying to make my Fridays less hectic and cook som things Wednesday and some Thursday
Salmon
Chicken soup
Potato kugel
Chicken
Roasted veggies
Egg salad
Quinoa salad
Cole slaw

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 4:47 pm
It is not too early-spoil wise, to cook anything on Wednesday. The question to me is what do you eat cold or reheated anyway.

Soup reheats just fine, Friday night chicken and roasted veggies I like fresh. Anything for Shabbos lunch is in the fridge anyway so I usually cook all of that on Thursday.

ETA-if you cook early, just bear that in mind regarding how long you keep and eat the leftovers.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 4:49 pm
Soup, chicken and roasted veg can be made from Wednesday. Kugel too unless you’re really picky about it being super fresh.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 4:51 pm
I regularly make M/T/W dinners on Sunday and the food really tastes fine on Wed so I would say you can cook almost anything on Wed and Thurs and serve on Shabbos but if you plan to have leftovers for the week Wed-Sun is probably the maximum the food will stay good.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 5:05 pm
bargainlover wrote:
I’m trying to make my Fridays less hectic and cook som things Wednesday and some Thursday
Salmon
Chicken soup
Potato kugel
Chicken
Roasted veggies
Egg salad
Quinoa salad
Cole slaw

Wednesday
Chicken soup
Hard boil the eggs
Cook the quinoa
Make the cole slaw dressing

Thursday
Peel and cut the veggies
Season and prep chicken in pan
Bake the salmon
Toss the cole slaw

Make potato kugel last thing and when done put oven down to 200 for overnight kugel so it's ready Friday (or peel and store in large container of water then make fresh Friday)

Friday
Stick prepped pan of veggies in oven
Stick prepped pan of chicken in oven
Mash eggs
Toss quinoa salad

zoom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 5:09 pm
Thanks this is helpful.

Dont want to derail thread but how do ppl freeze chicken soup?.dont want soggy veg

I always always have leftovers and end up chucking. Such a waste.
Last week I made a really big pot cos had guest and ended up all going in the bin.

Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 5:10 pm
I only freeze the chicken broth and when I take it out of the freezer I either serve it with just noodles, or else I thinly slice some fresh veggies to add in and they soften while I cook it up for shabbos.

bargainlover

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 5:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Wednesday
Chicken soup
Hard boil the eggs
Cook the quinoa
Make the cole slaw dressing

Thursday
Peel and cut the veggies
Season and prep chicken in pan
Bake the salmon
Toss the cole slaw

Make potato kugel last thing and when done put oven down to 200 for overnight kugel so it's ready Friday (or peel and store in large container of water then make fresh Friday)

Friday
Stick prepped pan of veggies in oven
Stick prepped pan of chicken in oven
Mash eggs
Toss quinoa salad

Thanks so much! This is so helpful!!!!

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 5:13 pm
zoom wrote:
Thanks this is helpful.

Dont want to derail thread but how do ppl freeze chicken soup?.dont want soggy veg

I always always have leftovers and end up chucking. Such a waste.
Last week I made a really big pot cos had guest and ended up all going in the bin.

Thanks.

I only use the carrot from the soup and don’t use the other veggies. We don’t like veggies in our chicken soup.
I strain the soup add a carrot to each container of strained soup, freeze until needed. I constantly keep a stock of chicken soup in my freezer and never serve it fresh. Everyone always compliments my chicken soup.

zoom

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 5:19 pm
amother Clear wrote:
I only use the carrot from the soup and don’t use the other veggies. We don’t like veggies in our chicken soup.
I strain the soup add a carrot to each container of strained soup, freeze until needed. I constantly keep a stock of chicken soup in my freezer and never serve it fresh. Everyone always compliments my chicken soup.

Thanks.
Yes Im talking about carrots only.
Dont really use any other veg .
Does it not get soggy?

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 5:47 pm
zoom wrote:
Thanks.
Yes Im talking about carrots only.
Dont really use any other veg .
Does it not get soggy?

It’s the same as when it’s freshly cooked. I’m usually picky with these things and I don’t see a difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note