Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
New Diamond Ring Setting
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 10:45 pm
After almost 20 years, I'd like to reset my diamond ring to a more updated classy look.

Any suggestions? I'm really not well versed in diamonds etc. So pictures would help a lot.

Thank you

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 10:47 pm
What shape and size stone do you have

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 10:50 pm
Solitaire settings are very in now and they're classic.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 10:53 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
What shape and size stone do you have

Literally no clue.

I'd like to hear ideas and then present it to the jeweler and see if it works with my stone.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 10:55 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Solitaire settings are very in now and they're classic.

This is the diamond set on high prongs with nothing at the sides, yeah?
Does it make a difference how many prongs? If yes, how many are nice?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:03 am
If your diamond is a nice size I would do a solitaire with a “hidden halo”- where the halo of diamonds is underneath the stone , right above the band. With height. Gorgeous. Smaller stones should have a crisp halo on a simple band. Love simple - so classy.

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:06 am
amother OP wrote:
This is the diamond set on high prongs with nothing at the sides, yeah?
Does it make a difference how many prongs? If yes, how many are nice?

I happen to like the solitaire with 6 prongs better, 4 makes it look like a square. I think petite pave is also classic.

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 2:24 am
Funny that I saw this now because I've also been married for over 20 years and I just have a diamond just plainly set and it keeps saying I want to get it reset. Op if you do it I'd love to hear if you are happy with it. Part of me was thinking that my ring is somewhat sentimental although not super sentimental and that maybe I should just get a new ring with these engineer diamonds which are supposedly cheaper and keep this one to wear occasionally. It's the only piece of jewelry I wear all the time so I would really like to have a piece and we can finally afford to update it. But somehow even though we could spend it I wind up never doing it.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 7:53 am
I reset my ring to a setting I liked which is not "done" anymore. Four fishtail prongs with a baguette on each side. I love it!

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 10:41 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
If your diamond is a nice size I would do a solitaire with a “hidden halo”- where the halo of diamonds is underneath the stone , right above the band. With height. Gorgeous. Smaller stones should have a crisp halo on a simple band. Love simple - so classy.

I find halo's to be very young and trendy. I would stay away from it after 20 years of marriage.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 10:48 am
I have a small solitaire set in a 4 printer yellow gold band with a tiny *hidden* halo. It's very simple and beautiful. I agree with no halo. Also prefer yellow gold as a setting choice.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 11:09 am
Trends and styles come and go. What is in style and modern now will not be in 5 years.

As you are married almost 20 years, I imagine you are approaching, if not past, 40. I would support, if not encourage a halo ring for my DD who is 21-just like all her friends. But for me, I don’t know that I need to match them. (Btw, my ring is yellow gold with Baguettes-mid 90’s, not recommending but I love mine).

Can you go to a jewelry store or even check out online websites and see what catches your eye?

Also, you said you don’t know what shape or size your stone is. Different stones look better in different settings. I would ask the jeweler for recommendations or to show you some very different opinions so that you can see what you like.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:04 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
I happen to like the solitaire with 6 prongs better, 4 makes it look like a square. I think petite pave is also classic.

Thanks for your input. I also thought that six prongs are more the look I want to go with. Is number of prongs also a style? Pretty sure kallahs get 4 prongs. Any reason why?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:07 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Funny that I saw this now because I've also been married for over 20 years and I just have a diamond just plainly set and it keeps saying I want to get it reset. Op if you do it I'd love to hear if you are happy with it. Part of me was thinking that my ring is somewhat sentimental although not super sentimental and that maybe I should just get a new ring with these engineer diamonds which are supposedly cheaper and keep this one to wear occasionally. It's the only piece of jewelry I wear all the time so I would really like to have a piece and we can finally afford to update it. But somehow even though we could spend it I wind up never doing it.

True, engagement jewelry is sentimental. I thought I'll work around my current ring but change the setting, but like the jeweler said, it's "upgedint" meaning, it's a goner. The side stones aren't nice anymore and don't hold any value. He's recommending I scrap the ring and reset my stone in a brand new ring.

As far as all my other "kalla jewelry" sitting around and not being used, I'm not sure if I should also scrap it or hold on to it for sentimental value.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:09 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
I reset my ring to a setting I liked which is not "done" anymore. Four fishtail prongs with a baguette on each side. I love it!

Sounds pretty. I would like to stick to something classic.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:10 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I find halo's to be very young and trendy. I would stay away from it after 20 years of marriage.

Thanks for dissuading me of a hidden halo. I liked the idea that it gives more emphasis on the stone but wasn't aware that it's more of a young look.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:12 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
Trends and styles come and go. What is in style and modern now will not be in 5 years.

As you are married almost 20 years, I imagine you are approaching, if not past, 40. I would support, if not encourage a halo ring for my DD who is 21-just like all her friends. But for me, I don’t know that I need to match them. (Btw, my ring is yellow gold with Baguettes-mid 90’s, not recommending but I love mine).

Can you go to a jewelry store or even check out online websites and see what catches your eye?

Also, you said you don’t know what shape or size your stone is. Different stones look better in different settings. I would ask the jeweler for recommendations or to show you some very different opinions so that you can see what you like.

Approaching 40 😲 but not yet. Was actually my birthday this week!

Is yellow gold still done today? I like it.

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Approaching 40 😲 but not yet. Was actually my birthday this week!

Is yellow gold still done today? I like it.

Yellow gold was out for a long time, but now it's back... and soon it will go out Laugh

If you love it, I say go for it, if your the type that it will bother you in 5 years that no ones doing it then skip it.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 1:40 pm
If you are getting a new diamond, I'd do an oval solitaire in yellow gold.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 2:29 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
If you are getting a new diamond, I'd do an oval solitaire in yellow gold.

Oooooh, mine is oval! so my almost 30 year old ring is almost the height of trend 😂 (apparently except for my baguettes)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics