Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Hanging laundry In a small apartment! Help!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:05 am
I live In a small apartment.
I have 2 bedrooms and a kitchen and main area with dining table etc with a washer and dryer In the closet.

Any realistic ideas where to hang my laundry and still keepy home looking tidy and organized? I hang basically everything except underwear and Tights.
I live In a basement and especially in the WInter it takes a while to dry.

There's laundry everywhere!!
Is there any solution other than moving to a bigger space with a dedicated laundry area?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:06 am
I live in a house but I have a tiny laundry room that's just big enough for my washer and dryer. I hang it in my room. It drives me crazy.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:07 am
Lol 2 bedrooms??!! I live in a studio!!

We hang on a collapsible 3 tier rack that we hang from doors. We have several of these. We also hang on hangers on bathroom shower rod. Yes it takes 24-48 hours.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:10 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
Lol 2 bedrooms??!! I live in a studio!!

We hang on a collapsible 3 tier rack that we hang from doors. We have several of these. We also hang on hangers on bathroom shower rod. Yes it takes 24-48 hours.

So you have laundry hanging in your home at all times?

imaima

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:13 am
I don’t get it? You have a drier and hang everything? And davka the things I hang are the things that you don’t hang? But you hang everything else?

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:13 am
amother OP wrote:
I have 2 bedrooms and a kitchen and main area with dining table etc with a washer and dryer In the closet.

Any realistic ideas where to hang my laundry and still keepy home looking tidy and organized? I hang basically everything except underwear and Tights.

Is there any solution other than moving to a bigger space with a dedicated laundry area?

I feel ya!
shower rod on hangers. My neighbor put in another shower rod over behind the real rod and also hangs there.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:

Any realistic ideas where to hang my laundry? I hang basically everything except underwear and Tights.

Ok so #1 solution is to dry more things. We hang dry dh dress shirts and pants, my skirts, all shells, Shabbos clothing, uniforms and tights. That all fits on 2 drying racks we store under my and dh beds. We dry underwear, socks, tshirts, kids skirts and pants, the tops I wear around the house, and pjs.

Also 2 bedroom apt, 4 kids in one room...

Find it funny you dry tights .. my experience that causes holes and pilling.

We do laundry once a week usually. Cleaning lady hangs Thursday middle of day and usually most stuff is dry by Shabbos. It's tough in a basement, can you put near (but not too near) steam in winter, ac/fan in summer? Whatever isn't I hang separately on exercise bike for shabbos and put away the racks.

Oh, long things like dh shirts and my robe are hung on hangers on hooks behind the door.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:16 am
Y'all need to make sure you have ventilation to avoid mold.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:17 am
amother OP wrote:
So you have laundry hanging in your home at all times?

No we only do laundry once a week, on Saturday night. So it’s usually hanging till Monday night. (I don’t have laundry in the apt so no reason to do it more often)

BH for clean clothes to hang and out away

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:29 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
Ok so #1 solution is to dry more things. We hang dry dh dress shirts and pants, my skirts, all shells, Shabbos clothing, uniforms and tights. That all fits on 2 drying racks we store under my and dh beds. We dry underwear, socks, tshirts, kids skirts and pants, the tops I wear around the house, and pjs.

Also 2 bedroom apt, 4 kids in one room...

Find it funny you dry tights .. my experience that causes holes and pilling.

We do laundry once a week usually. Cleaning lady hangs Thursday middle of day and usually most stuff is dry by Shabbos. It's tough in a basement, can you put near (but not too near) steam in winter, ac/fan in summer? Whatever isn't I hang separately on exercise bike for shabbos and put away the racks.

Oh, long things like dh shirts and my robe are hung on hangers on hooks behind the door.

So I have 2 of these drying racks:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H.....share
Dh has on average 5 pairs of pants to dry a week, sometimes more. 5 dress shirts. Kids don't wear uniforms, but at least an additional 10 pairs of pants and shirts.

Plus pajamas.

Plus my clothing.

I use each drying rack at least 3x.

Actually, I do dry underwear, socks, tshirts, lounge clothes, towels, linens, blankets.

My shower rod is suction, therefore it can't support any hangers. Trust me, I've tried.

I used to hang dry Tights but lately I've been drying them.

Dh isn't comfortable with me hanging things by doors because I'll ruin the wood doors 🤯

The heat is radiant, so nowhere to hang it that is specifically near the heat.

Which racks do you have that fit all that amount of stuff?!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:31 am
amother Moccasin wrote:
No we only do laundry once a week, on Saturday night. So it’s usually hanging till Monday night. (I don’t have laundry in the apt so no reason to do it more often)

BH for clean clothes to hang and out away

How many people are you doing laundry for?

Shoshana Rose

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:38 am
kids everyday pants(from NEXT), and shirts I dry. I used to not dry it, and I'm glad that I do now.
pajamas for sure in dryer

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:38 am
I hang dry nicer clothing, all baby/toddler clothing (so doesnt shrink and let stains set), white shirts, anything I want to make sure stains got out of, uniforms shirts and jumpers, my skirts and nicer tops...

I use the dryer for bedding, towels, all PJs except baby, tablecloth, socks, underwear ...

I think you hang dry too many things. Why dont you dry PJs? it takes longer to sort but I have a basket for hang dry stuff, one for dryer stuff.

I bought skinny hangers and hang on towel racks and over shower doors. I time my laundry so we dont have too many to hang at once- I have a machine BH so I swap hanging with dryer loads.

FYI wet clothing (like stuff hung to dry that wasnt wearable when shabbos came in) over Shabbos is mukzeh.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:42 am
amother OP wrote:
So I have 2 of these drying racks:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H.....share
Dh has on average 5 pairs of pants to dry a week, sometimes more. 5 dress shirts. Kids don't wear uniforms, but at least an additional 10 pairs of pants and shirts.

Plus pajamas.

Plus my clothing.

I use each drying rack at least 3x.

Actually, I do dry underwear, socks, tshirts, lounge clothes we wear around the house.

My shower rod is suction, therefore it can't support any hangers. Trust me, I've tried.

I used to hang dry Tights but lately I've been drying them.

Dh isn't comfortable with me hanging things by doors because I'll ruin the wood doors 🤯

The heat is radiant, so nowhere to hang it that is specifically near the heat.

Which racks do you have that fit all that amount of stuff?!

So I have one of those and one of these,https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Oversized-Collapsible-Steel-Laundry-Drying-Rack-Silver/173323840?athbdg=L1100 much better quality and taller which is better for air circulation.

Why can't you dry kids pants, shirts, all pjs?

My mother has racks screwed into the wall that are sort of like this. The idea being a shelf with a bar she used to hang all shirts, skirts, and dresses, and used the other type for shells, tights, tops. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Close.....aw.ds

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:47 am
Why aren't you using the dryer if it is available.

The trick to drying things is to use the appropriate time and even settings.

So don't put it on high and then leave in the dryer until it is bone dry. Set a timer if necessary so that you can unload as soon as the items are dry - use a short cycle and then add a few minutes if necessary.

Also some stuff is better to take out when it is almost dry and hang and that eliminates wrinkles. Yes you have to hang for a bit but not for very long

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:48 am
Op, you can protect your door by hanging a bag suits come in, plastic type on a hanger. Will keep moisture off the door. Then buy a double hook, screw into back of door, and ladder hang laundry from it. I doo this with my husbands shirts. And they all dry pretty quickly.
https://I.imgur.com/UWOt4uq.jpg

Also heard a good trick is to put your hanging things in the dryer for half a cycle and then hang dry and it'll be much quicker.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:56 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
So I have one of those and one of these,https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Oversized-Collapsible-Steel-Laundry-Drying-Rack-Silver/173323840?athbdg=L1100 much better quality and taller which is better for air circulation.

Why can't you dry kids pants, shirts, all pjs?

My mother has racks screwed into the wall that are sort of like this. The idea being a shelf with a bar she used to hang all shirts, skirts, and dresses, and used the other type for shells, tights, tops. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Close.....aw.ds

I don't dry kids stuff because I find it shortens the lifespan of the clothes and I use the stuff for more than one child, more than one season, looking new.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 11:59 am
We were able to buy a double drying rack that hangs on the back of a door

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 12:00 pm
My sil has something similar to this that is fixed to the ceiling and gets pulled down on pulleys.
https://www.amazon.com/foxydry.....r=8-1
You can also get other types, like retractable lines
https://www.amazon.com/Bakala-.....=8-22
or vertical pressure airers. https://www.amazon.com/Hershii.....=8-34

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 12:06 pm
amother OP wrote:

Do you have strong shower rod over the bath/shower?

What about a rod on the inside part of each of your bedroom doors?
https://a.co/d/bE50VYT
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics