Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Neighborhoods in Brooklyn
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:23 pm
amother Clover wrote:
I looked at the houses.
One is attached on one side, the other two are detached.

Good point. Looks like there are shared driveways.

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:41 pm
OP for the mill basin area, a handful of families have moved between k&m on e 57-59th. That side of Ralph is very mixed but you get more for your money.

More ppl live between Ave L and Ave U across Ralph and Mill avenues (the exact number street changes since they run on a slant) approximately e.63rd - e. 70th. Past Avenue u from Mill ave to e. 66th, running towards National drive, is great too, but likely over your budget.

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:57 pm
Mill Basin is beautiful and you can get a good deal now and offer below asking price

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:10 pm
Some people don't drive and Brooklyn is perfect for them, stop the bashing. I live right near kings plaza and I've never heard of any cars on fire during the riots. There's crime everywhere. Obviously the more populated the area, the more crime. You can still find detached homes with an ok sized yard and driveway but your search will be longer. The younger frum population are moving out of Flatbush and into marine park and Mill basin. Not everyone wants to move to NJ. Maybe in Bayswater you get more for your money, but it's not in Brooklyn. Good luck.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:17 pm
Marine Park here. Lots of houses for sale here

amother
Chambray

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:17 pm
Bayswater sounds good for you and you get bang for your buck

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:09 pm
I think us Brooklyners can just never get it right.

If we stay here, we are bashed and looked down upon as being so stupid to think this is a nice place to live.

And, if we move to Lkwd or OOT we get bashed. There are so many hated-filled threads here directed at the Brooklyners who "ruined" Lkwd and the OOT communities

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:14 pm
amother Lime wrote:
You make an interesting point about the schools and class size. Look, I grew up in Bklyn and still work there a few times a week and have family there. I don't want to be a debby downer. But I think it's important to consider the trajectory of Bklyn and where things were 10 years ago, where they are now, and where it's headed.

At this moment there are plenty of yeshivos in Bklyn that have nice class sizes. But it is clear that the next generation is not buying houses in Bklyn. How could they when it's so expensive? Bklyn is not steady at it's current frum population. It's aging (not including sephardim who are continuing to buy) and losing families. Yeshivos like Mirrer yeshiva that invested millions of dollars expanding and building in anticipation that the growth would continue, have empty space.

But more importantly, where will Bklyn be in 10 years from now? Can you name any new schools that have opened recently? Is there any reason to believe that the next generation will buy tiny houses for outrageous prices to live in a neighborhood that is clearly losing families? I seriously doubt it.

I don't think anything drastic is going to happen in ten years. Yes, Brooklyn is declining and the schools are feeling it. Some smaller schools have even closed, and there are definitely no new schools opening. No one is denying that it's not a growing community anymore. But that doesn't mean that in 10 years there will be no one left.

In general, 'm not big on trying to predict the future. Whatever will happen, will happen. I certainly don't control it so there is no point in thinking or worrying about it.

And there have been other communities that declined considerably, and still have a small Jewish population and small schools (like the lower East side). So if I have to guess, that's probably what will happen with Brooklyn.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:21 pm
amother Pink wrote:
To whose who are saying that Brooklyn isnt "so bad"- you must have lived there your whole life and don't know anything better. I'm not saying this to be rude in any way, and I completely understand that some people cant leave (family, kids happy in school etc). I imagine if the OP is looking to puyrchase in Brooklyn, she has a reason to stay there, no judgement. But to say it's not "that bad", sounds like you have a low standard of living. Paying 750k or much more for an attached house with no parking, zero curb appeal, old/ugly inside, having to circle for upwards of 30 minutes after getting home from work for a parking spot, the smell of the garbage, and the overall crime..... I lived in brooklyn most of my life but am so so happy I left. I find it even hard to go back there, and feel bad for my family members who are "stuck"- (mother cant leave because parents are elderly, older siblings with kids in high school and didnt want to uproot them etc). They hang out by my house on sundayswhen they need to breathe fresh air! No need to go "upstate" in the summer and own a second home. Our regular houses here are better than any bungalow.

I couldn’t agree more.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:22 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Um no. I grew up OOT in a super clean city with very little crime. Houses there are the same price as Brooklyn but the salaries are way lower. I honestly like living in Brooklyn. I have a great job that pays better than almost anywhere else in the country. Convenient public transportation for when I want to go to Manhattan. So many options for kosher food. I have the convenience of walking to all my errands. Lots of good schools to choose from. I almost never circle for parking and I don’t have a driveway (this is very dependent on which block you live on). My rent is lower than what ppl pay in Monsey and Lakewood for the same number of bedrooms. Yes it smells and is ugly. Honestly I think Lakewood is uglier. There are lots of cool attractions, world famous buildings, all the bridges, a lot of fun trips close by. Some of the top medical facilities in the country are close by. I definitely understand why ppl don’t want to live in Brooklyn but I don’t think it’s as terrible as everyone OOT likes to say it is.

Lakewood is uglier than Brooklyn? Which part? The huge lawns with green grass?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:23 pm
[quote="fleetwood"]
amother Firebrick wrote:
For $750 now you’ll get a small, very old house that needs work and won’t have private parking
There’s zero bang for the buck
I just moved from marine pk to Jackson NJ area. Got a gorgeous 20 yr old roomy house with a huge yard and two car garage, so much more than anything I could touch in Brooklyn
Not to mention how ugly Brooklyn is, you live on top of each other
Once you see how it is in NJ you wonder why you ever stayed in Brooklyn[/quote

Jackson? Seriously. Good like finding ba close yeshiva.
LOL

English please?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:24 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
I think us Brooklyners can just never get it right.

If we stay here, we are bashed and looked down upon as being so stupid to think this is a nice place to live.

And, if we move to Lkwd or OOT we get bashed. There are so many hated-filled threads here directed at the Brooklyners who "ruined" Lkwd and the OOT communities

Exactly. Go count how many threads there are of Lakewood ppl complaining they can't get their kids into schools. Or complaining how high the standards are. Yes you may get a bigger house for your money but everything there doesn't sound so perfect either.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:28 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Why don't anyone of you post under your screen name or tell us where you live. I love my detached house ,with garage and backyard in bklyn. And. Not scared to tell the truth under my screen name.
O.p. try the marine park area. Nice size houses with a beautiful park in walking distance. Plenty of shuls and shopping. Good luck

Nice size houses in marine pk? You should get out more
Obviously you never saw a nice sized house if you think marine pk has them
For $750 you get a starter size house in m.p., no private drive, tiny yard, not detached
A park nearby? Yes there’s that but doesn’t really help with your own tiny house
Match that against NJ where you get more than twice the size house, 2 car garage and private drive, huge lawn and yard, lots of times a pool, so much more, tons of parking in every shopping center lot, beautiful country like views, grass and trees
I lived Brooklyn all my life and now I’m wondering why I didn’t move out sooner but so glad I did

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:30 pm
fleetwood wrote:
They are jealous Bec they got priced out. Sad

Lol what planet are you living on
You’re just scared the value of your house won’t last because everyone is moving out or already did

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:31 pm
amother Clover wrote:
I looked at the houses.
One is attached on one side, the other two are detached.

Kimball and Coleman are not frum blocks
Just so you know. There’s a sprinkling of frum around there but mostly non Jewish

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:33 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
You’re just scared the value of your house won’t last because everyone is moving out or already did

Why do you need to keep putting people down? It's great for you that you left the horrors of brooklyn. Maybe people are happy here. I am. And I'm not really worried about my house value going down. It keeps going up. Jews aren't the only people who buy houses.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:35 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:

Lol don't worry about the value of fleetwood's house. It'll be fine.
The houses in Brooklyn are not going down in value. Jews only make up a small percentage of Brooklyn. There are many non Jews who live here who would be happy to buy. I know some Jewish families who sold to non jews and got top dollar for their houses.
Honestly, 75% of the Jews could leave Brooklyn and it wouldn't make the slightest differnece in the home prices. This is not Lakewood which is primarily Jewish.
I mean, that's basically what's happened over the past decade, that half of Brooklyn has moved out. And house prices are just going up and up and up.

I really don't get why it bothers some posters that some people actually like living in Brooklyn.

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:40 pm
Was going to comment under my screen name but it had too many specific details.

I've bought a house in Flatbush in the last 4 years. My oldest is still preschool age. My block is full of kids and young couples with little kids keep buying houses and moving on to the block every few months. Both my siblings are currently looking for house in this neighborhood. We like it here!

There are houses in very nice shape selling in Maine park for about 800k. A bit further out is even cheaper. I know because my sister had seen them all this past year. Look at recently sold on Zillow and you'll see them.

Why do we live here?
We can get our kids into school without sweating. We can walk to each other on shabbos because everything is local. We all survive with 1 car because we have public transportation. We all have shared driveways or manage to find parking.

Most of the people we know our age who live here, feel the same way. We are here to stay. You are welcome to live here too 😄

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:17 pm
Just to chime in that we already have married kids in Lakewood, and everyone keeps asking us when we’re moving there, but we have no plans to go to Lakewood. We like Brooklyn and we’re happy here!!! (hard as that is for some to believe). There’s lots of frum infrastructure (shuls, yeshivas, shopping, kosher food, etc.) as well as general infrastructure - think sidewalks, street lights, traffic lights, buses, trains, etc. and there are good jobs to e had that do not require commuting. (We live in a detached house with a 3-car garage and a garden.) I also find that (at least in my neighborhood) there’s less competition and pressure to keep up with the Cohens . . .

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:24 pm
If you are happy in Brooklyn, stay there. Lakewood is a horror show. . . not enough doctors, dentists, schools, morahs, babysitters. . .
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries