Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Dh can't help with baby because of rash

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 11:46 am
So last Sunday dh spent a good part of the day gardening, which included clearing away some ivy and planting new stuff. By the next day he developed a rash on his arms and legs. At first it wasn't so bad, just a little itchy, so he didn't pay any attention to it. But it was getting worse and worse, so he finally went to see a doctor. He was told that it's a contact rash due to the plants (duh!) and prescribed a steroid cream. He's still miserably itchy, but at least things are improving marginally. I feel so bad for him because the itchiness is driving him crazy and there is nothing I can do to help him.

I'm also a little overwhelmed, because dd is only 5 weeks old and I'm used to dh helping out with her in the evenings and early mornings. The doctor doesn't think the rash is contagious, but we don't want to take any chances. Also, we don't want dh to accidentally get the steroid cream on dd - it's powerful stuff. So I can't count on dh to change the occassional diaper or calm her if she's kvetchy and I need a little break. The hardest part is in the early morning though. Ever since my ninth month of pregnancy, my hands have been stiff when I wake up in the morning. I can't even bend my fingers to make a fist until I flex them for a while. That makes dealing with dd rather difficult. When her cries wake me up, I can't even pick her up, let alone change her diaper, until my fingers relax enough. Dh used to clean her up and bring her to me to nurse, but now he can't do that. I know it's only temporary, but it's making life difficult for the moment. I hope for all our sakes that this rash clears up soon!

Thanks for listening (is that the right word?) to me vent. I don't want to complain to dh, because it's not his fault and I don't want to make hime feel bad.

Also, any suggestions on how to deal with morning joint stiffness would be welcome. I'm a little concerned about that (I'm too young for arthritis!), but I'm scheduled to go to the doctor after Shavuos, so I figured I'd talk to her about it then.

justanothermother

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 2:05 pm
I had a similar problem with my knees. We bought hot therapy packs that wrap on with velcro. DH would wake up earlier than me, heat up the packs and wrap them on me. By the time I woke up, much of the stiffness was gone. I also took a low dose aspirin daily.

You and your husband should have a refuah sheleimah.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 2:10 pm
hm the therapy packs sound good ...

I have this now ... merely stretch my hands as you do ... and when pregnant - if I recall perhaps I used a special velcro bandage to sleep with that keeps the wrist in place ...

sorry for the plant rash - I too would tell dh to be careful with the baby ...

hang in there - this too shall pass ...

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 3:23 pm
Where did you get the therapy packs? What are they called (brand name)? Do they have to be microwaved?

The idea sounds good, although the chances of dh waking up before me are negligible. He's a very heavy sleeper (except when itchy rashes keep him up).

Thanks for the good wishes!

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 6:23 pm
Can dh wear disposable plastic gloves to change a diaper or pick up dd?
You can make a heat pack by wrapping a wet washcloth in plastic and microwaving. Or just soak a washcloth in hot water, wring it out and then wrap it in plastic.

JuliaB

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 8:32 pm
I second the disposable glove idea. he can always wear dish gloves bc they are longer!

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 11:46 pm
Update:

Dh's rash has gotten a lot better. He's not using the steroid cream anymore, so he's available to help out with the baby. He had a follow-up appointment with the dermatologist today who said it's healing nicely.

I had my post-partum check-up yesterday. B"h everything looks good. When I told my OB about my hand issues, she refered me to an orthopedist who specializes in hands. I have an appointment with him next week. In the meantime, my joints have not been as stiff in the morning, but my thumbs have begun to pop out of their sockets. That can be VERY painful. Sad

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 3:16 pm
Another update:

I went to the orthopedist yesterday. They took x-rays right on the spot, and b"h there are no signs of arthritis. It turns out that I have tendonitis/trigger thumbs. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot in one hand (the one that hurt more), which was really painful because he had to poke around a bit. It's supposed to take up to a week to really work, so we'll see what happens. He told me to come back for another shot in the other hand if it gets worse.

Dh's rash has pretty much cleared up. He just has some dry, peeling skin. I suggested that he moisturize, but of course he hasn't. Just like a guy! LOL

And dd is great. She's 8 weeks now, and was 10 lbs at her last pediatric appointment. She has also begun dropping a feeding at night, which sometimes lets us get 5 hours of sleep straight. What a good girl!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics