Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Was it worth it? Getting a degree
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 4:53 pm
amother DarkGreen wrote:
I personally think my “hilarious” comment just points out I am not using my degrees now. I didn’t say “I am not using my degrees and work in a totally different field.” That to me is an assumption made by readers. That said, I apologize again if you and others felt misled. I have clarified my position now anyway.

The hilarious comment is unclear to anyone who doesn't have insight to your personal situation. Regardless, I agree that it's time to move on from this. Thanks for clarifying.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 4:55 pm
I have an MD and I have never ever regretted it. My job is fulfilling, I am never bored and I make a decent income.
Also I have something of my own, I absolutely do not agree with the premise that our role is nothing but being a wife and mother

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:32 pm
I went back to school at 45 when my youngest of 8 went to kindergarten. I had been a sahm for about 10 years. I earned my BSN and work as a hospital RN. It was worth it for me. I love and am fulfilled by my job. The salary is fair and the benefits are amazing. PTO is good too, always nice to get paid for staying home! I work really hard, but I am so glad I did it. Working F/T and being a wife/daughter/mom/grandmother is super challenging, but my salary is needed and I'm glad I can do what I love. No matter how hectic or stressful my life is, I am.usually excited to go to work. My children respect it too and that feels nice.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:40 pm
I have multiple degrees: a BA, MA, MS, and PHD. I don’t regret any of them. I earn a decent salary and my PHD can potentially open doors to a better paying job in the future. I also really enjoyed the process of earning the degrees; I love learning and I liked the coursework (I enjoyed the challenge of having to write academically rigorous papers).

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:52 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Are you aware that there are many "lo yutzlachs" in our community. Men who struggle with mental health, intelligence. They may want to work but can't, or they work very very hard but can never really make much.
I know many such men. Checkout at grocery, working in stores, bus drivers, truck drivers. They work 60-70 hours a week for 55-65k a year. Nowhere near enough to cover a family's expenses.
The wife has no choice but to work ft, leaving her children, and enduring many unkind comments about her husband.

And also there are many women who like using their brains at work and are not cut out to stay at home.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 9:45 pm
To all those having a degree in psychology, is psychology and MSW the same thing?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 9:46 pm
It's really so individual...
If someone is a real go-getter, a degree is not necessary. My go-getter husband, who is not a native English speaker has worked his way up to a well paying respectful position with his minimal English, while I have a Master's degree and doing ok work.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 9:50 pm
amother Maize wrote:
To all those having a degree in psychology, is psychology and MSW the same thing?

No. MSW is social work.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 9:51 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
And also there are many women who like using their brains at work and are not cut out to stay at home.

I love using my brain. I have a MSN and a FNP and I work really hard. I would love a day or two to schedule appts or get a manicure or just veg sometimes though. Or you know, spend some extra time with my kids.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 10:21 pm
I have a double-bachelors and a masters, from two different Ivy League schools. I've had two careers--started with one, tried another, and am on round 2 with the first one. My field is very hierarchical, so working at well-known companies helps me leverage better work. I love working, love meeting other people and collaborating on projects.

Even if we didn't need the money, I'd still be working. As an introvert with ADD, who can be a bit lazy, working forces me out of my comfort zone.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 10:57 pm
Haven't read through all the responses, but I have a Bachelor's in Computer Science that cost me $0 thanks to community college. I currently earn ~ $400k after 6 years in the field, and am working fully remotely b'H. So yes, my degree was worth it and I can't recommend it enough.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:01 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
I am an SLP. Don’t want to give too many details but I’m in Tristate area and make close to $200 hourly working privately. I did do further training in a specific area, but who’s stopping you? Even without getting paid for Yom Tov, sick days, some cancellations, etc. I make over 100k for about 16 hours of sessions a week. There is some more non paid time, but at this point, it’s not so much. I’m thrilled I got the degree. And at this point, it appears there is a shortage of therapists.

How long did it take you to build up your own private practice clientele?
Was this a few years after your CFY?

Theres a shortage of therapists bc the pay is terrible. Ive spoken to other SLPs that have their own PP and they also have so many overhead costs that they dont end up making so much either. Ive never heard of an slp making close to 100k a year, what do you specialize in?

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:02 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
No. MSW is social work.

Most social workers I know, work as therapists. I wonder what is the difference in social work and psychology as a therapist in terms of benefits if working in a clinic and pay in private practice?

boysrus

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:03 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Haven't read through all the responses, but I have a Bachelor's in Computer Science that cost me $0 thanks to community college. I currently earn ~ $400k after 6 years in the field, and am working fully remotely b'H. So yes, my degree was worth it and I can't recommend it enough.

wow! is that a typical salary in the computer science field?

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:00 am
amother Salmon wrote:
I have an MD and I have never ever regretted it. My job is fulfilling, I am never bored and I make a decent income.
Also I have something of my own, I absolutely do not agree with the premise that our role is nothing but being a wife and mother

Being a mother is not our only role but our kids generally benefit when we make them our primary focus. It's not easy.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:07 am
boysrus wrote:
wow! is that a typical salary in the computer science field?

If you work in Big Tech/Finance, or a tech adjacent industry, or a well-funded startup, this is fairly standard. If you work as a technologist in a non-technical focused industry, (or in heimish circles) you most likely won’t have the same reach.

That being said, more and more companies these days are describing themselves as tech-first nowadays, since tech is the biggest driver for growth, so the circle of tech industries keeps expanding.

Rappel

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:11 am
OP - I've discovered that if I ever want to switch fields, or stop for a while to be a mother and then restart, having a degree in anything makes it much easier jump in.

(Spoken as someone whom doesn't have a degree XD)

So in that respect, I think it's valuable.

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 1:07 am
Quote:
how long did it take you to build up your practice

about 4 years after my CFY I started my private practice, while keeping my old job. I slowly phased out and only worked privately.

I don’t want to say what I specialize in, but there’s a real shortage. I am happy and fulfilled. I set good boundaries so as not to get burnt out.

I don’t think the pay is so terrible - you’re not relegated to working in an agency for low pay per hour.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:59 am
T

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:03 am
amother Jade wrote:

I’ve been thinking of training in Computer Science for the past while, so this is very helpful-thank you.
Since I’ve seen a broad range, can I ask what sort of work you specifically do?
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics