Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Was it worth it? Getting a degree
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:11 am
amother DarkYellow wrote:
I love using my brain. I have a MSN and a FNP and I work really hard. I would love a day or two to schedule appts or get a manicure or just veg sometimes though. Or you know, spend some extra time with my kids.

So what's stopping you from working a day less?

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:54 am
amother Jade wrote:
If you work in Big Tech/Finance, or a tech adjacent industry, or a well-funded startup, this is fairly standard. If you work as a technologist in a non-technical focused industry, (or in heimish circles) you most likely won’t have the same reach.

That being said, more and more companies these days are describing themselves as tech-first nowadays, since tech is the biggest driver for growth, so the circle of tech industries keeps expanding.

Is a college degree even necessary for a well paying job in the field of computer science?

momomany

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:59 am
amother Honey wrote:
So what's stopping you from working a day less?

Many jobs in the medical field with competitive pay and benefits don't offer that flexibility. That is the challenge that the mom with a profession will often face. Flexibility vs salary, fulfillment.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:16 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
Off the books
Where I live it's 8bper hour
11 kids
830 to 330
Full year

Plus all the government benefits you are eligible for. Some people are eligible for benefits that exceed 70k.

Food stamps, health insurance, eye glasses, braces.. and all the covid related money (I didn't get anything. Actually we got some unwanted money loaded into our bank account and we had to return it all when we filed taxes)

Dh has a coworker that considered quo
Itting his job (around 120k ) to drive a school bus (pay mostly in cash). He did the math and being a driver would be a great move financially.

(I don't agree with the above lifesyle. Dh and I went to school and we both work full time. My oldest dc will be starting a PhD program soon)

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:35 am
I am an SLP and I love my field and my job. I chose the profession because it suits me well. Very glad I did.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:47 am
amother Fern wrote:
Is a college degree even necessary for a well paying job in the field of computer science?

If you want a fast track to the big bucks, yes. The large companies or corporations are willing to shell out the big bucks, but a degree is necessary. If its just a nice comfortable salary within heimishe companies that you're after, you may not need the degree.

Personally, if you're ok with not working in a heimishe environment, I think the large companies are a great option. The benefits and flexibility offered is incomparable to what you would get with small heimishe companies. I've just started off in this area, my salary is already in the 6 figures, the benefits are of the highest tier, and the work-home balance is amazing.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:40 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
If you want a fast track to the big bucks, yes. The large companies or corporations are willing to shell out the big bucks, but a degree is necessary. If its just a nice comfortable salary within heimishe companies that you're after, you may not need the degree.

Personally, if you're ok with not working in a heimishe environment, I think the large companies are a great option. The benefits and flexibility offered is incomparable to what you would get with small heimishe companies. I've just started off in this area, my salary is already in the 6 figures, the benefits are of the highest tier, and the work-home balance is amazing.

That's good information, thank you. Asking because ds is starting to think about how to choose a career path.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:52 am
The advantage of a degree versus a certificate is that a real degree gives you much more flexibility because you will be able to to advance into positions where you are not just performing the technical stuff.

I think one of the issues is that many people view getting a "degree" in very short term ways - I.e pick a career from a very limited number of options at 19 and then work exclusively towards getting that certification.

Most 19 or 20 year olds really don't know what career they actually want because they are still exploring who they are. And even if they did most don't even know what careers there actually are that aren't very in the box - lawyer, doctor, teacher, CPA etc.

A benefit to a real college education where you don't declare a major until Junior year and where it isn't necessarily a vocational school is that you learn valuable skills that aren't specific like analysis, communication, approaching problems which are useful in any career whatever the major. Economic studies indicate that college graduates do better over a lifetime even if they are just plain liberal arts - they earn more; they have a steadier work history and in general have more job satisfaction.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:57 am
Entry level jobs with a Master's degree don't often start at much. However, I have been working at the same company for a decade (my second job), and I make 2-3 times as much as when I started out, and that was as of a few years ago. I'm sure it depends on your field and how you progress (I am also low level management). But it is worth talking to people who have been in your firled for 5, 10, 15, 20 years and seeing their salary trajectory.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:11 am
amother Jade wrote:
Haven't read through all the responses, but I have a Bachelor's in Computer Science that cost me $0 thanks to community college. I currently earn ~ $400k after 6 years in the field, and am working fully remotely b'H. So yes, my degree was worth it and I can't recommend it enough.

boysrus wrote:
wow! is that a typical salary in the computer science field?

$400K after 6 yrs experience is not a typical salary in computer science. Somewhere in the mid or maybe high $100K is more typical.

Amother Jade, what type of company do you work for? I assume fintech but even then $400K is high. Are you working >40 hrs/wk?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:35 am
amother Quince wrote:
$400K after 6 yrs experience is not a typical salary in computer science. Somewhere in the mid or maybe high $100K is more typical.

Amother Jade, what type of company do you work for? I assume fintech but even then $400K is high. Are you working >40 hrs/wk?

I'd prefer not to share too many identifying details, but I'm working in a fintech type field. I'm in a lead engineering role, with technical ownership of internal platform(s). I work 9-5 (Fridays till about 3) from home, with flexibility to juggle appts and my kids school calendars as necessary.

There are days where deadlines are tight and I put in extra time during evenings after the kids bedtimes to see things through, but that's the exception, not the norm.

The compensation is not unusual for a technical leadership role at this level. I did switch jobs twice and got promoted quickly, so I fast tracked my way to leadership. But there are plenty recruiters in my LinkedIn inbox offering similar or more at this level.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:29 pm
I responded earlier in the thread and someone asked what I do. I am a social worker, and I feel it was very worth it. However there are a few things to take into account.

1. It takes time to start making real money.
2. You’re not guaranteed a full case load. It’s nice to be making in the range of $200/hr, but you don’t have the same job security as someone in a salaried position.
3. It’s emotionally taxing and you have to really enjoy it.

All that being said - I absolutely love what I do. I purposely have a small caseload and it’s helpful that I can still bring home a decent amount of money for the amount of hours I work. I think that as long as your family doesn’t rely on you as the breadwinner, it’s a great field to go into. So yes, for me it was worth every penny.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 1:15 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Entry level jobs with a Master's degree don't often start at much. However, I have been working at the same company for a decade (my second job), and I make 2-3 times as much as when I started out, and that was as of a few years ago. I'm sure it depends on your field and how you progress (I am also low level management). But it is worth talking to people who have been in your firled for 5, 10, 15, 20 years and seeing their salary trajectory.

Thanks, that's reassuring. Very Happy

vandm

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 1:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if it was worth getting a degree? I recently finished my masters degree and started working. The salary is okay, but not great. I think working off the books as a babysitter would pay the same or more. Anyone else feel the same? Do you think it was worth getting a degree? I hope this is just a new grad issue and that it gets better.

It was worth it to be. Bachelors and Masters in Business Admin with specialization in systems. I did research of projection of salaries by the bureau of labor and statistics

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 3:46 pm
amother Almond wrote:
I responded earlier in the thread and someone asked what I do. I am a social worker, and I feel it was very worth it. However there are a few things to take into account.

1. It takes time to start making real money.
2. You’re not guaranteed a full case load. It’s nice to be making in the range of $200/hr, but you don’t have the same job security as someone in a salaried position.
3. It’s emotionally taxing and you have to really enjoy it.

All that being said - I absolutely love what I do. I purposely have a small caseload and it’s helpful that I can still bring home a decent amount of money for the amount of hours I work. I think that as long as your family doesn’t rely on you as the breadwinner, it’s a great field to go into. So yes, for me it was worth every penny.

Thanks for sharing this. I am planning to go into this field, I have a real passion for it. My husband works, so my work will be just for extra money and satisfaction. Most posts on Imamother about MSW make me think it isn't worth it... I am planning to follow my heart anyway, but I appreciate hearing from your perspective.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 5:11 pm
Putting it out there in case it's helpful to someone. A law degree is not bad for someone looking to work part time from home as a solo. When my kids were little, they didn't even know I worked. I make my own hours and the work can be interesting and fulfilling. It's a 3 year degree after college, which is only 1 year more than a master's. The caveat is, try to get a scholarship as tuitions are quite high.

professor

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 5:46 pm
One does not need any education to make tons of money. Look around and see. Women with no education open businesses and make a mint while women with very advanced degrees make close to nothing.
Yet, I absolutely do not regret having gone to college and very much want to get a PhD in my field, even though I won't make a cent off it. I just can't afford to pamper myself like that. So I'll stay "less educated" lol

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:14 pm
professor wrote:
One does not need any education to make tons of money. Look around and see. Women with no education open businesses and make a mint while women with very advanced degrees make close to nothing.
Yet, I absolutely do not regret having gone to college and very much want to get a PhD in my field, even though I won't make a cent off it. I just can't afford to pamper myself like that. So I'll stay "less educated" lol

Really? So interesting that I know nobody- at least no women- who have opened a business and made a mint, unless you count babysitting, shaitel machers and makeup artists as "opening a business".

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:07 pm
I think that doing a degree should be a goal in itself. In my opinion, getting a higher education is not all about making money. There needs to be a passion for the actual work. employees pay higher salaries for experience, skill, and managerial positions. you won't necessarily make more money or enjoy your job just from having a degree.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:37 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
Quote:
how long did it take you to build up your practice

about 4 years after my CFY I started my private practice, while keeping my old job. I slowly phased out and only worked privately.

I don’t want to say what I specialize in, but there’s a real shortage. I am happy and fulfilled. I set good boundaries so as not to get burnt out.

I don’t think the pay is so terrible - you’re not relegated to working in an agency for low pay per hour.

Thanks.
But it seems we are relegated to an agency because the only other options are: EI, rehab center that not everyone is trained in (like feeding), DOE or agency. What other positions are there for us?
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics