Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Was it worth it? Getting a degree
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 3:38 pm
Some jobs just have a lot more growth. A babysitter is not going to make a lot more money, unless she has a good business head and starts a chain of childcare businesses.

And there are many benefits to being paid on the books.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 4:38 pm
I’m an OT. I love having a profession that’s mine. I work for a special Ed school and I’m very happy with my choice BH.

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:42 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Lol. I'm a therapist and I work late hours. I don't make enough working during the day, so I work evenings and Sundays. Plus, there is tons of paperwork to do in the evenings.
And you bet I deal with annoying customers (aka clients and parents).
And I don't make a set amount either.
And it took 4 hard years of school to get to this "wonderful" point and tens of thousands in student loans. and there is minimal growth potential.

The prices of therapy graduate programs have gone up insanely over the past few years, and salaries have not risen to match that (whether you work in school or healthcare serving). It simply isn't worth it anymore to take out such exorbitant loans.
It always amazes me how there are some posters on this site are dead set on insisting that therapy is so worthwhile. It's OK to admit that while it was a nice option for those who graduated HS 15-20 years ago, it simply is not as worthwhile anymore.
There are also so many more options than there were 20 years ago. one small example (and there are many more but I don't have time to post)- I saw advertised recently a cyber security 2 year masters program that costs 25 k. While a masters program for therapy is minimum 85k. And which one do you think has a higher starting salary and average salary?

I will agree with this. Therapies are not as attractive as a field as they used to be. Times have changed and I think there is way more opportunity for jewish women to work and have flexibility in other areas. Especially with the popularity of remote work. I personally don't regret going into the field based on the way life was when I went to school. There was no way to predict that things would change so drastically. Healthcare was the up and coming field. However, if I was going to school now I would probably choose something else.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:44 pm
amother Melon wrote:
I will agree with this. Therapies are not as attractive as a field as they used to be. Times have changed and I think there is way more opportunity for jewish women to work and have flexibility in other areas. Especially with the popularity of remote work. I personally don't regret going into the field based on the way life was when I went to school. There was no way to predict that things would change so drastically. Healthcare was the up and coming field. However, if I was going to school now I would probably choose something else.

What would you choose?

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if it was worth getting a degree? I recently finished my masters degree and started working. The salary is okay, but not great. I think working off the books as a babysitter would pay the same or more. Anyone else feel the same? Do you think it was worth getting a degree? I hope this is just a new grad issue and that it gets better.

I never got a degree but I have not gone to school for this reason. I’ve watched my mother toil for years in school and I always earned more than her with my basic jobs that didn’t ask for a degree.
However, there are some fields where a degree is absolutely necessary and does pay more.
Many days I think about resigning from my job, give up my career and take on babysitting because I absolutely love and adore babies and toddlers and have always wanted to be a preschool Morah. But , with a 1:3 ratio I would be earning less than I earn now.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:56 pm
amother Steel wrote:
I never got a degree but I have not gone to school for this reason. I’ve watched my mother toil for years in school and I always earned more than her with my basic jobs that didn’t ask for a degree.
However, there are some fields where a degree is absolutely necessary and does pay more.
Many days I think about resigning from my job, give up my career and take on babysitting because I absolutely love and adore babies and toddlers and have always wanted to be a preschool Morah. But , with a 1:3 ratio I would be earning less than I earn now.

Wow can you pls share which jobs?

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:57 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
What would you choose?

Personally I would choose something in the tech field. I am detail oriented, organized, and good with computers. Now that remote work is so popular I think such a field would be more suitable for a jewish woman than it previously was. I don't regret my therapy choice but I wouldn't do it again if I had the choice for a do-over.

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if it was worth getting a degree? I recently finished my masters degree and started working. The salary is okay, but not great. I think working off the books as a babysitter would pay the same or more. Anyone else feel the same? Do you think it was worth getting a degree? I hope this is just a new grad issue and that it gets better.

It’s widely known a college degree these days doesn’t pay

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:01 pm
amother Sand wrote:
It’s widely known a college degree these days doesn’t pay

I am not a business lady, other than opening your own business what pays well?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:12 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
The ideal is, I think, for moms to stay home and fathers to work and bring home enough money to live on.... I wish this had happened to me but it didnt, and I suspect I'm not the only one.
I stayed home 3 years and now I’m brushing up my resume. Living on 1 income is so hard on its own.

And I will be leaving my field and ignoring my degree and taking on an office job instead. My interests have changed and now that I have kids my old job isn’t a good fit anymore. Even though it was supposed to be the perfect mommy job (special Ed)

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am not a business lady, other than opening your own business what pays well?

Degrees that do pay: computer science, law, np, Pa, psychology

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:38 pm
amother Peach wrote:
I stayed home 3 years and now I’m brushing up my resume. Living on 1 income is so hard on its own.

And I will be leaving my field and ignoring my degree and taking on an office job instead. My interests have changed and now that I have kids my old job isn’t a good fit anymore. Even though it was supposed to be the perfect mommy job (special Ed)

Hi, this is so interesting
I work in a office and am seriously thinking to go back and get special Ed degree
Can you explain to me why it wasn't worth it for you ? I would love to hear

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:41 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Yes you do...

No way. You cannot get that from babysitting or being a playgroup Morah!
My take-home pay after paying my staff, supplies, snacks, substitutes and all other expenses ends up being about 25-28k and that's before paying my taxes!
How on earth does anyone think that babysitters make more than that if they are charging a reasonable fee to parents, and following legal guidelines for ratios?!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:44 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Degrees that do pay: computer science, law, np, Pa, psychology

That's what I thought, which is why I chose one of those degrees. But currently I am not feeling it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:45 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
No way. You cannot get that from babysitting or being a playgroup Morah!
My take-home pay after paying my staff, supplies, snacks, substitutes and all other expenses ends up being about 25-28k and that's before paying my taxes!
How on earth does anyone think that babysitters make more than that if they are charging a reasonable fee to parents, and following legal guidelines for ratios?!

Making that much is assuming you are not paying taxes or following legal ratios.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Making that much is assuming you are not paying taxes or following legal ratios.

well why would any G-d fearing woman withhold taxes that she is supposed to pay? and as for legal ratios, well they are made for a reason. Safety first!
and even so, a woman who did that would not make three times what I am making. thats impossible.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:55 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
well why would any G-d fearing woman withhold taxes that she is supposed to pay? and as for legal ratios, well they are made for a reason. Safety first!
and even so, a woman who did that would not make three times what I am making. thats impossible.

I don't know about you, but where I live it's hard to find a babysitter who is legal. It would save me money on taxes if I could find a legal babysitter. Finding people with the proper ratios is easier here. As far as ratios I agree with you.

amother
Mauve

Thanx yup

amother
Khaki

amother OP wrote:

Even if you don't follow legal ratios, there's a limit as to what a human being is capable of doing!

And like I said earlier, you likely don't have all the babies come every single hour; some come less, and besides, you don't get paid yom tov and when the baby is sick etc. Ask someone who actually does it and see how much money they're actually making.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:56 pm
I definitely regret getting my degree in special education. The difference in the frum schools for a teacher with a masters and one without is nominal . If I wanted to work in public school it could have helped but as it is I don’t feel like it was a good use of all that time and money.
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics