Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Was it worth it? Getting a degree
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:01 pm
@mauve, just reminding you that this is a public forum. I'm not quoting you so you can delete if you wish.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:01 pm
Salaries are very location dependent. So whether your degree is worth it can change depending on where life brings you...
For example, special ed used to be an ultra popular degree. In NJ it pays peanuts nowadays, but in NY you can do very well with it still.

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:22 pm
Amother almond & amother tangerine, which fields do you work in?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:28 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Many women would not be capable of holding a 90-120k job while raising kids without serious burnout

What do you think many women (especially kollel wives do) Life costs a lot. A lot. If your husband is learning someone's gotta earn that money.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:47 pm
Ya well if that's the case then maybe their husband's shld get a job so the women don't have to go crazy and have a breakdown

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:00 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
Ya well if that's the case then maybe their husband's shld get a job so the women don't have to go crazy and have a breakdown

Are you aware that there are many "lo yutzlachs" in our community. Men who struggle with mental health, intelligence. They may want to work but can't, or they work very very hard but can never really make much.
I know many such men. Checkout at grocery, working in stores, bus drivers, truck drivers. They work 60-70 hours a week for 55-65k a year. Nowhere near enough to cover a family's expenses.
The wife has no choice but to work ft, leaving her children, and enduring many unkind comments about her husband.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:02 pm
Yes I'm well aware. I was answering to the fact that someone said that the men that r in Kollel and the women need to work and can be tough.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:15 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Many women would not be capable of holding a 90-120k job while raising kids without serious burnout

Actually, I've found that my work related stress has decreased with each higher paying for position. Plus the more money I make the more I have for extras that save me stress.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:15 pm
amother Mauve wrote:

Who is breaking down? Not the ladies I know. Many of them opened businesses or found ways to be successful without working full time. I don't think this is a fair comment.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:22 pm
When people say women open their own businesses what does that mean? What are examples of businesses?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:29 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
When people say women open their own businesses what does that mean? What are examples of businesses?

Retail (selling a product) or service based (shaitels, graphics, copywriter.) Others are in lines of work where they have high earning potential - real estate for example. Or built themselves up in their fields and then went out on their own. There's a lot of interesting opportunity out there. Hashem helps people find the parnassah they need.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:11 pm
[quote="amother Khaki"]Even if you don't follow legal ratios, there's a limit as to what a human being is capable of doing!

And like I said earlier, you likely don't have all the babies come every single hour; some come less, and besides, you don't get paid yom tov and when the baby is sick etc. Ask someone who actually does it and see how much money they're actually making.

Funny because I sent my daughter to
playgroup and had to pay during the whole month of yom tov while my daughter was not there and all the days she was sick(which she gets sick very often) And a rav said this was ok for the morah to do

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:35 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Actually, I've found that my work related stress has decreased with each higher paying for position. Plus the more money I make the more I have for extras that save me stress.

It is such a misconception that people are more stressed when they have more responsible jobs that pay more and are possibly higher on the corporate ladder

There is actually less stress - not to mention the job tends to be more fulfilling; you are much better paid for your time and you have much more autonomy over your life.

Even when I worked from an office, I had flexibility that lower level people didn't have so I could fit appointments in or be out of the office because no one was checking on me so long as I produced results which I could do

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 10:06 pm
OP what do you do?

I am nervous about this as well. I am in graduate/doctorate school for psychology and hope it will be worth it. I know I cant do babysitting in my house and it doesnt pay much here anyway (3k a month?)and I dont think I can work full time at all while my kids are young so I need something with less hours. I'm hoping as a psychologist I can have flexibility to work from home and earn well enough per hour that I dont need to work so many hours...

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 10:53 pm
I think that the government takes so much of your money, especially if you are self employed! Who gives them the right?! They take so much money. . . and give it other people through programs.. Robinhood full steam!!! I think that people who are are self employed should not have to report all their money. (I am not saying that they should go on programs, but just report less.)

amother
Yarrow

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 1:03 am
I am an SLP. Don’t want to give too many details but I’m in Tristate area and make close to $200 hourly working privately. I did do further training in a specific area, but who’s stopping you? Even without getting paid for Yom Tov, sick days, some cancellations, etc. I make over 100k for about 16 hours of sessions a week. There is some more non paid time, but at this point, it’s not so much. I’m thrilled I got the degree. And at this point, it appears there is a shortage of therapists.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 2:15 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
I think that the government takes so much of your money, especially if you are self employed! Who gives them the right?! They take so much money. . . and give it other people through programs.. Robinhood full steam!!! I think that people who are are self employed should not have to report all their money. (I am not saying that they should go on programs, but just report less.)

Right, much more ethical to steal from the government and give to yourself.

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 2:17 pm
amother Honey wrote:
OP what do you do?

I am nervous about this as well. I am in graduate/doctorate school for psychology and hope it will be worth it. I know I cant do babysitting in my house and it doesnt pay much here anyway (3k a month?)and I dont think I can work full time at all while my kids are young so I need something with less hours. I'm hoping as a psychologist I can have flexibility to work from home and earn well enough per hour that I dont need to work so many hours...

I wouldn't be concerned with this degree.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 2:17 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Degrees that do pay: computer science, law, np, Pa, psychology

This is hilarious to me as I have three degrees that I am not using at all. My degree fields are Psychology, Computer Science, Law.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 2:20 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Degrees that do pay: computer science, law, np, Pa, psychology

I have a Bachelors in Computer Science, and it has definitely been worth it. It is not a field that you necessarily need a masters in. I think that's another reason why it can be very lucrative.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics