Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
South Beach Shavuos ideas

GetReal

Post Wed, Jun 04 2008, 3:11 pm
I want to cook a few things for Yom Tov for a relative who is on the South Beach diet. We have three fleishig meals and one milchig. Any easy ideas? Thanks!

RachelB

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:50 pm
Phase 2:
Eggplant Parmesan

1 Cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbs dried Italian seasoning
1 tsp lemon pepper
½ tsp salt
1 large eggplant (peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices)
1 cup Whole Wheat flour
¾ cup Eggbeaters (or 2 large eggs and 1 egg white beaten)
1 jar fat-free marinara sauce (or small jar of Ragu Light)
1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 400° Combine first 6 ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge eggplant slices in flour. Combine egg whites and egg. Dip eggplant slices in eggs; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet sprayed coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Pour the sauce evenly over eggplant slices; sprinkle with cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

RachelB

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 10:06 pm
Orange Dream Cheesecake or Pie, all Phases

Instead of a crust, spray the bottom of a springform pan or pie dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle on chopped nuts (I use chopped pecans or a nut topping*. Any nuts would work however.) Sprinkle about 1 tsp. bulk Splenda over the top of the nuts (I don't think you really need to do this, but I did it because many recipes on this site did so also.) Set aside.

2/3 cup boiling water
1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Brand Orange Flavor Sugar Free Low Calorie Gelatin
1 cup Low Fat Cottage Cheese
1 (8 oz.) light Cream Cheese (also called Neufchatel), cubed
(optional--can add a little extra Splenda for added sweetness, scant 1/4 c.)
1 1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping (light or fat-free)
1 1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip (for the topping) and flavored extract to match the jello

Stir boiling water into gelatin in large bowl at least 2 min. until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool 5 min. Pour into blender container. Add cheeses; cover. Blend on medium speed until well blended, occasionally scraping down side of blender container; pour into large bowl. Add about 1 1/2 c. whipped topping (I just spooned some in); stir gently until well blended. Pour into prepared pan; smooth top with spatula. After refrigerating it for about 1 hour, spread the additional Cool Whip over the top. (adding about 1/2 tsp. extract [or more to taste] to the Cool Whip before spreading it on the top). Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. If using a springformpan, remove side of pan just before serving. Store leftover cheesecake/pie in refrigerator.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 9:59 am
Can you make a speghetti squash recipe for the milchik meal? It may not be incredibly fancy, but...

Remember to avoid tomato sauce if at all possible (which phase is she on?).

You can make veges with onion soup mix on them. Just make sure no starchy veges (potatoes, etc).

Squash is a good side dish, and you can make it a bit fancier, for milchiks and fleishigs...just no sugar or honey on it (you can use splenda instead? or just cinnamon, etc...)

Salads are always good - just watch out for carbs in the dressing.

Fish is really good (not necessarily gefilte, though...). Salmon, etc?

A lot of basic chicken recipes are good.

For dessert, sugar-free jello in nice molds. Or there's this cool thing for the milchik meal that you can make out of ricotta cheese and splenda - look it up online. If she's on phase two or three, she might go for some fresh fruit.

If she's on phase three, you can replace a lot of the carbs in regular foods with whole grain - challah, pasta, rice, etc.

Do you need anything specific?

GetReal

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 5:49 pm
Thanks everyone for the ideas - I couldn't get on Imamother before Shavuos Sad so I just saw them now. I'll pass them on and try them next time we're together, IY"H.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus