Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Areas in Israel for new olim to establish themselves
Previous  1  2  3  Next

isasternhill

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:26 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Im going to assume that you dont live here yet, correct? It wasnt clear from your post. I say that because most places that have anglos are not going to be expensive. Thats just how it is. So when you say not a huge fortune, how much do you mean?
And Im with DrMom, I have not given up, nor do I know people who have given up, sports or nature. Obviously if you are living in a city you wont have as much nature, but over all? You couldnt be farther from the truth. And there are so many sports chugim for both adults and children going on in this country.

I have lived here for 10 years actually. Maybe for you areas that anglos move are not expensive but not everyone moves here with millions. I know many who have had to give up nature because green is not something you find here readily and that is a simple fact the majority of us live with. If you are from New york, where apartments costs 4 million dollars and there nature isn't prevalent, I can see why you would integrate here. But if you find that these issues do not pertain to you, perhaps it's not the place for you to be posting. This thread is for like minded people. If you have something to contribute, do so. I have found across the board, that people feel they sacrifice on greenery and nature to live here so that is what I brought up. If you do not feel that pertains to you then Im not entirely sure why you're getting involved in the conversation. I am looking for solutions, not the negation of issues.

isasternhill

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:29 pm
DrMom wrote:
Quote:
3) Sports and nature, because let's face it, that is what most of us end up having to give up when moving here.

We have to give up on sports and nature when we move to Israel?

Not in the north. But I live around a forest and not much is going on here. Anyway, too much emphasis is being put on that point. Let's focus on the rest of it.

isasternhill

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:32 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
OP, hashkafah is something to take into consideration.

This is true. Bit more challenging. Although I find hashkafa can change from building to building. Or om some areas it's less of an issue, like Beit Shemesh. The anglo frum comunity is focused on a different set of principles in general.

isasternhill

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:37 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
OP the first question is ''what is a price you can spend on a home''? If you are talking about 1.3million shekel you can find that in many neighborhoods up north. ( Katzrin, Maalot, Migdal Haemek - new apts. going up. Afula. if you have about 1.6 till 1.9 million shekel (still considered cheap in certain areas) you can buy a 2 or 3 bedroom apt. in RBS. They have a whole city of shops, eateries, schools, after school activities, adults teaching the boys sports in the afternoon. Many welcoming shuls in RBS. I assume also up north in Katzrin and Ma'alot. Small areas will notice someone new.

So I like RBS but hte prices are out of range there unless you want to live sandwiched in a getto style apartment. They are brand new and they already look dilapidated. Nice community though. The north is also nice, but completely isolated. I have a friends there and there is absolutely nothing to do. Like Katsrin is completely dead. You're living in the middle of nowhere, with the closest are being Naharia (which by the way seems like an ideal up and coming place). I have friends that bout vacation homes there because that is is just about all you can do there.

isasternhill

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:38 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Giving up sports and nature? HUH??? You do know this is literally the land of nature tiyulim right? And the boys practically live on the soccer field?

You are clearly not Canadian.

isasternhill

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:42 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
OP the first question is ''what is a price you can spend on a home''? If you are talking about 1.3million shekel you can find that in many neighborhoods up north. ( Katzrin, Maalot, Migdal Haemek - new apts. going up. Afula. if you have about 1.6 till 1.9 million shekel (still considered cheap in certain areas) you can buy a 2 or 3 bedroom apt. in RBS. They have a whole city of shops, eateries, schools, after school activities, adults teaching the boys sports in the afternoon. Many welcoming shuls in RBS. I assume also up north in Katzrin and Ma'alot. Small areas will notice someone new.

I am actually looking at RBS now. I just dont want to love in a cramped building after moving from house with a 300 m garden and a forest. It s hard transition. And with teens. It's just tough.

isasternhill

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:44 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:

By the way my son in in Yeshiva there. IMO they have the best schools.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:25 am
The nature point is confusing to me. Unless you mean a large backyard in which case, yes, you'd need to live on a moshav to have that. In the cities here, even the smaller ones where you can get a private house, yards are often quite small.

But - I will get personal. I grew up in northern NJ. We had a decent backyard but nature was not part of our lives. We rarely went hiking, and hiking meant driving quite a bit to get to a state park. Most of our outings were to museums and amusement parks.

I raised my kids in beit Shemesh. We live on a concrete block with no yard at all. But my kids regularly go hiking, biking, and camping in the hills outside beit Shemesh. You don't have to drive more than 10 minutes to find incredible hikes.

Most Israelis' idea of a family day out involves nature. Hiking and the beach are probably the two most popular family activities here.

I'm really not understanding how anyone would feel they give up on nature by living in Israel.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:36 am
isasternhill wrote:
I wanted to start this thread to help new people moving to Israel discover untapped areas that are easy for olim to integrate into. Cost is a major barrier to entry here and if we can all get together and share information on areas where more anglos are moving that don't cost a huge fortune, we can all help each other make the move easier.

Please post here if you know of an untapped area that has the following:
1) Infrastructure
2) Schools
3) An anglo community.
4) Welcoming shuls.

I would love to see what everyone shares here. Thank you!

Two points:

1. If it's an untapped area, how is it going to have an existing anglo community, plus shuls, schools, and infrastructure? I think there's an inherent contradiction.

2. As far as cost, everything is expensive. It's true, Israel is expensive compared to the US. You can compare different areas within Israel to get a better price, but Israel is not that big and everything is expensive. Especially if you are comparing to certain areas of the US, you simply can't have all those things you listed for a comparably good price.

I think it's great that you're trying to figure out a way to make your aliyah work out in every way. Unfortunately I think something is going to need to give. I'd make a list of all the things on your list and figure out which ones are must-haves and which ones you can manage without. Israel should be one of those items. Is it more important to you to live in israel than to, for example, have a large backyard? Or is the backyard more important, even if that means sacrificing aliyah?

DrMom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:52 am
isasternhill wrote:
You are clearly not Canadian.

Most people aren't Canadian.

If you want to compare your current situation to Israel, you may want to specify what exactly your current situation is like so others can better understand where you are coming from.

I agree with the idea that you may have to compromise on some things to make aliyah. For example, inexpensive areas with many Anglos are hard to find, and if you live in a private home with a yard now, you may have to downsize when you move. Unless you move to a rural area... but those are less likely to have many Anglos or job opportunities.

Hopefully, living in E"Y will bring other advantages which will compensate for some of these shortcomings.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:54 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
I've never been there personally, but you may want to look into Harish (Charish?)

My brother put a deposit for a place there. They hope for it to be ready next rosh hashana and they will move with the goal of Aliyah if they like it

essie14

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:59 am
amother Lightcyan wrote:
The nature point is confusing to me. Unless you mean a large backyard in which case, yes, you'd need to live on a moshav to have that. In the cities here, even the smaller ones where you can get a private house, yards are often quite small.

But - I will get personal. I grew up in northern NJ. We had a decent backyard but nature was not part of our lives. We rarely went hiking, and hiking meant driving quite a bit to get to a state park. Most of our outings were to museums and amusement parks.

I raised my kids in beit Shemesh. We live on a concrete block with no yard at all. But my kids regularly go hiking, biking, and camping in the hills outside beit Shemesh. You don't have to drive more than 10 minutes to find incredible hikes.

Most Israelis' idea of a family day out involves nature. Hiking and the beach are probably the two most popular family activities here.

I'm really not understanding how anyone would feel they give up on nature by living in Israel.

Exactly. As I said above , we hike so much and we almost never hiked in the US. And the same is for most of our friends and neighbors. Hiking is not really part of the culture in the areas where most people live in the US and here in Israel it's a huge part of the culture.
We live outside much more than we did in the US. I love it.
Our entire quality of life is much better here.
Also, when you compare real estate prices I believe you really should be comparing your entire monthly expenses. Tuition is so negligible so you should be able to afford more in rent/mortgage.
Healthcare is another huge expense in the US and its so much less here.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:10 am
essie14 wrote:
Exactly. As I said above , we hike so much and we almost never hiked in the US. And the same is for most of our friends and neighbors. Hiking is not really part of the culture in the areas where most people live in the US and here in Israel it's a huge part of the culture.
We live outside much more than we did in the US. I love it.
Our entire quality of life is much better here.
Also, when you compare real estate prices I believe you really should be comparing your entire monthly expenses. Tuition is so negligible so you should be able to afford more in rent/mortgage.
Healthcare is another huge expense in the US and its so much less here.

It's true and it's not true. Many things are more expensive here. Also, what's included in rent or mortgage payments may be different here.

Bottom line, budgeting for Israel has to be entirely different from your budget in chul. Nothing is going to be the same. Some things cost more, some things cost less, and some things cost more but you'll need less of it and it evens out.

sara_s

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:10 am
amother Aubergine wrote:

You can no longer find a 3 bedroom apartment in RBS Aleph for less than 2.2-2.6 million. A 2 bedroom apartment is startingnat 2 million. Prices went up a lot this year.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:32 am
I think she means the lack of nature if you don't have a car.

Also the sports thing she was reffering to chareidim. I definitely feel those two things very keenly right now, it's simply not in the budget for a car and currently we aren't moving to a place more mixed that would offer sports

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:57 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I think she means the lack of nature if you don't have a car.

Also the sports thing she was reffering to chareidim. I definitely feel those two things very keenly right now, it's simply not in the budget for a car and currently we aren't moving to a place more mixed that would offer sports

I hear that, but this is not an aliyah issue. It's an issue of your chosen lifestyle when making aliyah. Lots of charedim in Brooklyn don't have cars, sports, or nature, either.

As an aside, if she's looking for a strictly charedi community she probably should have said so.

In any case, there are charedi communities that do have access to sports and nature. And if she has a car in the US, and needs a car in Israel to be happy, she should budget for a car. Again, this is not an aliyah issue.

On the other hand, if she wants every single aspect of her life from the US, on the same budget as she had in the US, it's probably not realistic.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 2:09 am
isasternhill wrote:
I have lived here for 10 years actually. Maybe for you areas that anglos move are not expensive but not everyone moves here with millions. I know many who have had to give up nature because green is not something you find here readily and that is a simple fact the majority of us live with. If you are from New york, where apartments costs 4 million dollars and there nature isn't prevalent, I can see why you would integrate here. But if you find that these issues do not pertain to you, perhaps it's not the place for you to be posting. This thread is for like minded people. If you have something to contribute, do so. I have found across the board, that people feel they sacrifice on greenery and nature to live here so that is what I brought up. If you do not feel that pertains to you then Im not entirely sure why you're getting involved in the conversation. I am looking for solutions, not the negation of issues.
I realize that I wrote are NOT going to be expensive, but meant will definitely be expensive. The word anglo and not expensive does not work here in Israel. Once anglos start moving into areas, they automatically become expensive.
Now, the issue of giving up greenery, I want to understand what you mean. Ive lived in 4 different places (towns, cities) since making aliyah almost 20 years ago. The only place I maybe gave up on greenery and nature was when I lived in Jerusalem. Other than that, there was greenery, parks, nature, in all of the places Ive lived. And you mentioned the north in a different reply. The north is brimming with greenery and nature. So can you explain a bit more what you mean?

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 2:13 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I realize that I wrote are NOT going to be expensive, but meant will definitely be expensive. The word anglo and not expensive does not work here in Israel. Once anglos start moving into areas, they automatically become expensive.
Now, the issue of giving up greenery, I want to understand what you mean. Ive lived in 4 different places (towns, cities) since making aliyah almost 20 years ago. The only place I maybe gave up on greenery and nature was when I lived in Jerusalem. Other than that, there was greenery, parks, nature, in all of the places Ive lived. And you mentioned the north in a different reply. The north is brimming with greenery and nature. So can you explain a bit more what you mean?

Lol. I was wondering in what world anglo areas are definitely not expensive. Thanks for clarifying.

Btw if you go back to the OP you'll see she deleted the part about sports and nature. I guess she decided no one else related to that issue.

isasternhill

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 5:18 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
OP, affordable and Anglo community is IMHO a kind of contradiction. It's well known that Anglo communities are in expensive like Raanana or Jerusalem.

Truth. So let's all get together here and think of areas where olim are starting to move so that we can catch the up and coming areas rather than have to spend 5 -7 million on a house (I kid you not, the prices where I live have gone from 4 mill 3 years ago to 11 mill now and beit shemesh, if you want a nice street is 5 million).

Let all share what we know about where olim are moving to to find more affordable areas. But let's keep in mind, most people do not wan to live lord of the rings style in the middle of an isolated community in the north, and although I do have a friend in Migdal Hemek, she said there are very few houses there and they are NOT 1.3 million (not sure who said that - I wish).

Rappel

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 5:23 am
There are a lot of young Anglos making their way into Bracha, and the prices are 1 million-ish for a house, less for an apartment. If both parents are working (prereq to moving into the yishuv), then it could be a good option.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions