Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
I hate the sponsored post titles
1  2  3  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:45 pm
They’re ridiculous and so triggering. Every day it’s another over the top one. Whether true or not- stop with the click bait.

Anyone with me?

It’s not only on this site. It’s all the Jewish news stations

“Don’t let me die”
“My mommy already lost my Totty and now she might lose me”
Etc
Back to top

amother
Aster


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:57 pm
I imagine they are paid ads.
Back to top

amother
Powderblue


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:00 pm
On me, it has the opposite effect than was intended. I tune out overly dramatic things like that.
Back to top

amother
Razzmatazz


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:01 pm
I also get turned off by them. Unfortunately for us, data shows that these dramatic types of headlines get more clicks. So they're not likely going anywhere.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:12 pm
Does anyone here actually donate to them Bec of these ads?

I’ll never forget that article in one of the Jewish magazines showing the dark side to these “fundraisers”. It has forever changed me and turned me into a massive cynic for all these over dramatic campaigns
Back to top

amother
Birch


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does anyone here actually donate to them Bec of these ads?

I’ll never forget that article in one of the Jewish magazines showing the dark side to these “fundraisers”. It has forever changed me and turned me into a massive cynic for all these over dramatic campaigns

What did the article say?

And no I will never donate to a campaign that uses over the top rhetoric.
Back to top

amother
Chestnut


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:52 pm
I donate to them all the time. What did the article say?
Back to top

amother
Broom


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:55 pm
Thanks, people! I thought I was the only one.
Back to top

amother
Azure


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:02 pm
Same
I won't donate to something that sounds like paid for click bait.
The titles bother me a lot. I do my best to ignore them, which is hard. It makes the websites unpleasant.
Back to top

amother
Scarlet


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:05 pm
I have a family member who is doing fundraising campaigns and I am sad to say that the amount of fraud and lies and blowing things out of proportion to make money - of which a huge part goes straight to the fundraisers and marketers pocket, completely changed the way I look at tzedaka campaigns.

It’s sad that I don’t trust any tzedaka letters and advertisements anymore because I do believe that there are some honest organizations and fundraisers who do honest and fair campaigns and actually use the money for the cause kind people have donated for.
But I lost my trust already.
If I do donate I try to send the money directly to the cause - pay grocery balances, bills, send the money to the ones who need it themselves.
Back to top

amother
Mustard


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:05 pm
I get so annoyed. Maybe there should more life insurance adds and then we will see less Yasom headlines
Back to top

amother
Razzmatazz


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:19 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
I get so annoyed. Maybe there should more life insurance adds and then we will see less Yasom headlines

Interestingly, a lot of these families DO have life insurance. But if someone R"L passes away young with numerous young children, they would need a massive insurance payout to have enough money to get by day to day as well as simchas, tuition, etc.

So often this campaign is in addition to their life insurance coverage.

And in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy is generally the only time they will have a successful campaign. Years later, when they are struggling to pay for Bar Mitzvahs and weddings, it will be too late. So Rabbis will encourage a fundraiser now so they will have security for then.
Back to top

mommy3b2c




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:19 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
On me, it has the opposite effect than was intended. I tune out overly dramatic things like that.


Same. It makes me think it’s a fake joke . I never even open them.
Back to top

amother
Birch


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:22 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
And in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy is generally the only time they will have a successful campaign. Years later, when they are struggling to pay for Bar Mitzvahs and weddings, it will be too late. So Rabbis will encourage a fundraiser now so they will have security for then.
Exactly. My relative was niftar when their youngest was 1 and their oldest was 9. They fundraised for the kids weddings right after it happened.
Back to top

amother
Jetblack


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:25 pm
What I hate even more is that I'm somehow on their emailing list. So I get emails that have common first names as the sender, then these horrible subjects. It's given me a scare many times. Like, say my best friend's name is nechama. On my phone notifications I'll see an email from "nechama" and the subject will be "My husband is dead!!!! What will I do????" And so on. It's terrible.
Back to top

Einikel




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:26 pm
Sarah Rivkah Kohn director of Links is very passionately against this.
Back to top

synthy




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:26 pm
amother Birch wrote:
What did the article say?

And no I will never donate to a campaign that uses over the top rhetoric.
Basically how fundraisers will ride on the family's tzaros to bring in more money. They'll spread photos of the kids with torn shoes, videos of a young almanah crying, etc. It's beyond humiliating for those that need the charity to have photos and videos if them in a vulnerable state circulate, but this is what works.
Back to top

synthy




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:29 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
What I hate even more is that I'm somehow on their emailing list. So I get emails that have common first names as the sender, then these horrible subjects. It's given me a scare many times. Like, say my best friend's name is nechama. On my phone notifications I'll see an email from "nechama" and the subject will be "My husband is dead!!!! What will I do????" And so on. It's terrible.
They get your email address from all kinds of Jewish sites. I have an email that I only use on Charidy or similar, and I get tons of spam on it. It's always from a different email address so I can't unsubscribe. Even worse, I started getting tzeddakah emails several times a day after I signed up to receive recipes from a kosher recipe blog.
Back to top

cupcake123




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:34 pm
Me too! They give me so much anxiety and then I feel guilty that I'm feeling anxious 😟
Back to top

amother
Lilac


 

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:48 pm
synthy wrote:
Basically how fundraisers will ride on the family's tzaros to bring in more money. They'll spread photos of the kids with torn shoes, videos of a young almanah crying, etc. It's beyond humiliating for those that need the charity to have photos and videos if them in a vulnerable state circulate, but this is what works.


So people won’t give to the cause because the process of fundraising is humiliating? It’s terrible-both the Tzara, and the humiliation; but not giving because of that sounds like adding insult to injury.
Back to top
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Post your strands score!
by amother
298 Yesterday at 7:55 am View last post
Please post links for teen clothing for Yom tov
by amother
12 Thu, Apr 11 2024, 8:56 pm View last post
by bsy
Post your cleanings and organizing routine 9 Wed, Apr 10 2024, 6:53 am View last post
The kids hate where we moved
by amother
12 Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:07 pm View last post
Why do people think it’s okay to post their children?
by amother
19 Thu, Apr 04 2024, 8:22 pm View last post