Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Tzirel vs Tzurtel

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:21 pm
My grandmother went by her English name and wasn't frum but said her Hebrew name was Tzurtel. We assumed for a long time is must have actually been Tzirel, since we'd never heard of such a name. The rare girls names thread though seems to have had a few posters list Tzurtel as a name. Does anyone know if it's a different name than Tzirel? Is it a diminutive of Tzirel? I'm now wondering if maybe my grandmother was right...

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:29 pm
Tzurtel is def a name in itself.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:29 pm
Yes they are two different names. We have both in my family.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:35 pm
Wow...we're actually in the process of getting her matzeiva. Glad I came across this before it was finalized. Going to have to take this info to the family members who are handling this...

Happy247

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:57 pm
I know 3 Tzurty’s

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
My grandmother went by her English name and wasn't frum but said her Hebrew name was Tzurtel. We assumed for a long time is must have actually been Tzirel, since we'd never heard of such a name. The rare girls names thread though seems to have had a few posters list Tzurtel as a name. Does anyone know if it's a different name than Tzirel? Is it a diminutive of Tzirel? I'm now wondering if maybe my grandmother was right...

They are different names but I do believe that they are both Yiddish names, not Hebrew. You may want to check if she got a Hebrew name as well or only a Yiddish one (which is common in the chasidish community).

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:20 pm
צירל and צארטל two different names.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:23 pm
amother Steel wrote:
They are different names but I do believe that they are both Yiddish names, not Hebrew. You may want to check if she got a Hebrew name as well or only a Yiddish one (which is common in the chasidish community).

Tzurty here and it actually is a Hebrew name

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:40 pm
amother Maroon wrote:

As far as I know, its a Yiddish name. Its listed as Yiddish as well. Do you have a source that says its Hebrew?

https://www.behindthename.com/.....itted

https://www.behindthename.com/.....ter/t

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:17 am
amother Maroon wrote:

What does it mean in Hebrew?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:47 am
By "Hebrew" I mean Jewish. Don't mean the literal language. She was not of a chassidish background, she was never frum, but her parents gave her both a Jewish name and a secular name and always called her by the secular name. She was aware that she had a Jewish name and knew her parents' Jewish names, because she attended a progressive shul and often got called up for aliyah and always gave her Jewish name bat parents' Jewish names.

We thought it was a pronunciation issue or a diminutive because when my parents were getting married and their rav was asking them for genealogy to make sure everyone was Jewish, my dad gave his mother's name as Tzurtel and was told that's not a name and it must be Tzirel. Since my dad is bt and his mother wasn't particularly knowledgeable about Judaism, he just assumed his rav was right, so for the last 40ish years, the frum branch of the family assumed her name was Tzirel. I'm really glad to be finding this all out before finalizing the matzeiva.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names