Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Whole chicken with?

willow

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:50 am
I have a whole chicken and I think this week it would be pretty to
keep it whole rather then cut it up.
I want to make a one dish affair so what should I put in?
Any good tried and true recipes with rice or potatoes or quinoa or any grain really.

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 6:44 am
I would spice in and out. Last time I used salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and sage. Then cut up potatos, carrots, sweet potatoes (all or only what you have; I didn't have onion or garlic or a little of that would have gone in and less on the powders) and toss in above spices in a separate bowl and then stuff into the bird. I wouldn't add any oil to the mix bc the chicken gives enough natural oils.

I cooked it ina roasting bag and it was yummmm, my only mistake was that I put the bird back side up instead of front side up, but that really wasn't the end of the world.

I drained 99% of the juice (left a little so that the bird would stay moist), put it int he fridge to scrape the fatty layer off, an then made soup from it by adding some veggies and water and adjusting salt/spices to taste.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 10:06 am
I roast the chicken with potatoes and sweet potatoes - nice big chunks because usually roasted chicken is cooked for a long time. Just spice the potatoes with whatever you put on the chicken and put a little water in the pan. They cook in the gravy and come out delicious.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 10:44 am
I put a bit of garlic, tumeric, and cumin on, the add potatoes, sliced big, and onions and sweet potatoes and or carrots. I also like to put in a sauce of tamari, bit of wine.

willow

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 12:21 pm
I layered sweet potatoes, reg potatoes and onions and spiced it like you all suggested. I also added a bit of wine. Its marinading in the fridge and We'll see how it comes out after Shabbos.
Thank you all who took the time to share your yummy sounding recipes.

mom7270

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 12:26 pm
I would do just as the above posters said with the veggies and sweet potatoes- but also, a nice touch is a little maple syrup- it gives it a wonderful flavor

AGINY

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:52 pm
You already made your chicken, but another idea for next time:

I boil rice till it is 90% done, mix it with chopped meat that I have browned in a frypan, cumin, garlic and onion powder (you can do any spices that you like. Stuff the rice into the chicken cavity and let any extras sit under the chicken in the pan. Put some water in, cover pan tightly with foil (works even better in a roasting pan with a lid). Bake on 375 for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Comes out moist, fragrant, and delicious every time.

ihyphenated

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 12:50 am
ok, I think I have the opposite problem- my chicken cooks faster than my potatoes! even chicken thighs. my potatoes are never done when my chicken is. help!!

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 2:26 am
I would just keep cooking on a low heat till the potatoes are done. However if that doesn't work for you, parboil the potatoes and then add them (with the liquid) to the chicken. I wouldn't cook them for more than about ten minutes.

sbs

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 3:54 pm
AGINY wrote:
You already made your chicken, but another idea for next time:

I boil rice till it is 90% done, mix it with chopped meat that I have browned in a frypan, cumin, garlic and onion powder (you can do any spices that you like. Stuff the rice into the chicken cavity and let any extras sit under the chicken in the pan. Put some water in, cover pan tightly with foil (works even better in a roasting pan with a lid). Bake on 375 for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Comes out moist, fragrant, and delicious every time.

I do almost the same but I put sauteed onions and mushrooms with the rice and then I make a paste with garlic, pepper, paprika, and water, and rub it all over both sides of the chicken.

willow

Post Sat, Jun 07 2008, 3:38 pm
YUMMM!!!!! Seriously it was so good, moist and flavourful. I Cut onions, potatoes and sweet potatoes put it on the bottom. I lay the chicken on top and added fresh garlic, pepper, cumin, hot paprika, a little curry thyme and parsley. I poured some red wine and water on top and marinated it overnight. I cooked on low for four hours. Thank you thank you thank you all!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey