Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
4 year old DS up all night because scared

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 5:46 am
For the past month my DS wakes up around 12:00 at night literally shaking. He comes to my room saying he’s scared and refuses to go back to sleep. I’ve tried staying in his room until he falls back asleep but it takes him a good 3/4 hours to do so. He refuses to sleep on the floor in my room because he’s too scared to be so far from me (right next to my bed) if I let him into my bed he pushes himself right against me so I can’t sleep. Same with my husband. It’s going on a month and I’m bombed. We tried everything. I’ve treated for pinworms, checked for strep, got him a nightlight, put another kid in his room etc. he doesn’t watch tv or movies at all… he’s literally up for hours and hours every single night.
Any suggestions?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 5:56 am
I would treat for strep and pinworms even if nothings showing up on testing.

Also, try ibuprophen around the clock, if it helps you know there’s an inflammatory component.

Rescue remedy can also help.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 6:07 am
I wanted to add my other kids all did this around this age or a little bit older but it wasn’t a big deal because they came to my room, I had pillows and blankets set up on the floor, and they went back to sleep. He refuses to do that so he just crawls into my bed and comes right up against me and I can’t sleep like that. Neither can my husband.
I think the parsha scares them, with esav and paroh etc. this came up when my other kids learned about fire safety etc so I do think it’s age appropriate, I just don’t know how to help him get back to asleep not pressed up against me shaking in fear

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 6:12 am
amother Jade wrote:
I would treat for strep and pinworms even if nothings showing up on testing.

Also, try ibuprophen around the clock, if it helps you know there’s an inflammatory component.

Rescue remedy can also help.

Sorry but ridiculous to treat if it's negative.

He's obviously having night time terrors. He can be picking things up in school from other kids or like you said it might be as simple as the parsha.

Is he a more anxious child in general? Because his fears definitely seem more extreme. It might be helpful for him to talk to a social worker for a few sessions to help him work through what is scaring him. I would also let his teachers know so that can be careful on how they teach the parsha or maybe if they're noticing another kid telling your child something.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 6:20 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:

He's obviously having night time terrors. He can be picking things up in school from other kids or like you said it might be as simple as the parsha.

Is he a more anxious child in general? Because his fears definitely seem more extreme. It might be helpful for him to talk to a social worker for a few sessions to help him work through what is scaring him. I would also let his teachers know so that can be careful on how they teach the parsha or maybe if they're noticing another kid telling your child something.
It’s not ridiculous. Standard testing misses a good proportion of cases for various reasons.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 6:22 am
Antibiotics and pinworm medicine are not harmless. They're meant to be used WHEN NEEDED.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 6:44 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:

He’s definitely more on the anxious, timid side. He will hold my hand tightly when in public places but does warm up soon after. I can’t see him talking or opening up to a stranger. If I meet someone I know in the street and they ask him how old are you he won’t answer…

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 6:51 am
amother OP wrote:
He’s definitely more on the anxious, timid side. He will hold my hand tightly when in public places but does warm up soon after. I can’t see him talking or opening up to a stranger. If I meet someone I know in the street and they ask him how old are you he won’t answer…

There are social workers that specialize with children. I work in a pediatric practice that has amazing social workers that have worked wonders with kids. It may be worth looking into and trying.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 6:52 am
My 3 yr old son wakes up scared every night. We go to his bed and sit with him and tub his back etc and then he's fine. He also asks for his door propped open which we are fine with and he turns on the lights in the hallway. Maybe you can do something like that? I do think this is age appropriate but doesn't mean it's easy

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 6:53 am
amother Jade wrote:
It’s not ridiculous. Standard testing misses a good proportion of cases for various reasons.

It's ridiculous because pinworms for example does not cause a child to wake up with night terrors and be terrified. It makes a child wake up out of discomfort/backside itching. Trying to find solutions that don't fit the problem is what's ridiculous.
He sounds like an anxious child that needs help with his anxiety.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 6:57 am
amother OP wrote:
For the past month my DS wakes up around 12:00 at night literally shaking. He comes to my room saying he’s scared and refuses to go back to sleep. I’ve tried staying in his room until he falls back asleep but it takes him a good 3/4 hours to do so. He refuses to sleep on the floor in my room because he’s too scared to be so far from me (right next to my bed) if I let him into my bed he pushes himself right against me so I can’t sleep. Same with my husband. It’s going on a month and I’m bombed. We tried everything. I’ve treated for pinworms, checked for strep, got him a nightlight, put another kid in his room etc. he doesn’t watch tv or movies at all… he’s literally up for hours and hours every single night.
Any suggestions?

You waited a month but didn’t do the one thing you should’ve
Get him to a child therapist
I had this with my DS and finally he told therapist he had once had a bad dream about a witch
Therapist talked him through it and gave him an idea how to “get rid of” the problem and BH

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 7:01 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
My 3 yr old son wakes up scared every night. We go to his bed and sit with him and tub his back etc and then he's fine. He also asks for his door propped open which we are fine with and he turns on the lights in the hallway. Maybe you can do something like that? I do think this is age appropriate but doesn't mean it's easy

We’ve done that. He takes 3/4 hours to fall back asleep if I’m in the room rubbing his back, sitting next to him etc… the door is open to his room and there’s a nightlight on. It’s definitely not dark

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 7:06 am
[quote="amother Bottlebrush"]You waited a month but didn’t do the one thing you should’ve
Get him to a child therapist
I had this with my DS and finally he told therapist he had once had a bad dream about a witch
Therapist talked him through it and gave him an idea how to “get rid of” the problem and BH

Is that how you talk to everyone? Wow. There are ways to say things. Did you think I sat back the entire month doing nothing? I mentioned that he was tested for strep so the doctor knows about this issue we’re having. I reached out here for advice from other people since we were getting nowhere. Sorry I didn’t have nevuah to know that the proper thing to do would be to get him to a child therapist asap. Rolling Eyes

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 7:07 am
My daughter had night terrors. The difference is that she wouldn't remember the episodes the next morning. Took her to play therapy and the episodes reduced.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 8:39 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
It's ridiculous because pinworms for example does not cause a child to wake up with night terrors and be terrified. It makes a child wake up out of discomfort/backside itching. Trying to find solutions that don't fit the problem is what's ridiculous.
He sounds like an anxious child that needs help with his anxiety.
This is a peer reviewed scientific journal article on pinworms. It mentions night terrors [and bruxism] as “related symptoms”. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....1960/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics