Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Why don't frum stores have mirrors in the dressing room?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:29 am
I know this is not all frum stores, but I've noticed this in multiple stores recently.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:34 am
I can't speak for the stores, but I ran a mikvah for a number of years and we had full length mirrors in the rooms and there were many women who complained that it's not tzanuah to have the full length mirror in the rooms because to them, their own body which was only visible to themselves is an issue. We have three sizes of rooms. Finally after so many complaints, we went to the rav of the mikvah and he told us to take down the mirror in the two smallest rooms (three of which are no larger than a broom closet) so more women feel comfortable. So a women who wants a full size mirror at that mikvah had to wait for the largest rooms (only four of them in a very busy mikvah).

Anyway, I imagine the complaint is the same - in a small space, there are those who erroneously believe it's not tzanuah.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:34 am
I hate it! I won't shop at store with no mirrors in the dressing rooms.

I think it's for two reasons. They want to be able to convince you that you look great and you should buy the item. They also want other customers to see what you're trying on so that they should want to try it also.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:38 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
I can't speak for the stores, but I ran a mikvah for a number of years and we had full length mirrors in the rooms and there were many women who complained that it's not tzanuah to have the full length mirror in the rooms because to them, their own body which was only visible to themselves is an issue. We have three sizes of rooms. Finally after so many complaints, we went to the rav of the mikvah and he told us to take down the mirror in the two smallest rooms (three of which are no larger than a broom closet) so more women feel comfortable. So a women who wants a full size mirror at that mikvah had to wait for the largest rooms (only four of them in a very busy mikvah).

Anyway, I imagine the complaint is the same - in a small space, there are those who erroneously believe it's not tzanuah.

That’s crazy. They should have been told they were wrong and everyone else shouldn’t have had to be inconvenienced. And really if you think it’s wrong don’t look.

The no mirrors in dressing rooms is horrible. I was in one store once and there was no way I was going into the public large room without knowing how I looked.

Ema of 5

I feel like this answer is given every time this discussion comes up, and every time someone says that’s ridiculous because checking yourself from head to toe is LITERALLY part of the process.

amother
Bellflower

Never occurred to me that it's about tznuah. I just assume they want you to have to come out so they can oooh and ahhh and talk you into buying everything you try on.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:44 am
Oh yes! I don’t know the reason behind it but it’s not fair! I have to come out every time I try on another top or skirt. It feels really annoying when it’s a busy day and many people hog the only mirror they have in front of all the dressing rooms.

SYA

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:45 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
I feel like this answer is given every time this discussion comes up, and every time someone says that’s ridiculous because checking yourself from head to toe is LITERALLY part of the process.

Part of the chafifa process is to check yourself in a mirror, especially in the places you cannot see yourself like your back… Doing the chafifa is not a choice if we want to “be clean” it’s halachically necessary to do a chafifa in order to tovel.

Debbig

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:48 am
Because when your try something on and leave the dressing room to look in a mirror other shoppers see you & may try on what your trying & then buy it.
It’s a sales tactic.
I know this from store owners.
The big fitting room not private ones is the same idea.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:48 am
I TOTALLY agree and it is ridiculous.

People want to try on, see, decide and take off WITHOUT having to display an ill fitting (or even a flattering), outfit to the world.

There should be mirrors in AND out of dressing room. So if one chooses not to, fine. And if one chooses to do so, then also fine.

For the businesses:

On the one hand, it is absurd as it takes up so much more time each individual spends in the dressing room. And many a time causes other customers to leave for lack of time to try on.

On the other hand, by having to leave the dressing room in order to have a look, the salesperson can do a little ‘convincing’ to buy something that the customer might not have considered. And one can also claim that you need to ‘stand back’ to get a better look etc..And yes, others might see and want to try in the same…

For the customer:

For those who do not appreciate having to come out to view each item: It is wrong and embarrassing. And a breach of privacy. Trying on clothes is a personal thing for many.

But I don't necessarily think it a ‘frum’ store thing though. Ive seen all over with either one way or other.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:50 am
Simple, so they can drive you mad into buying it.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:52 am
Debbig wrote:
Because when your try something on and leave the dressing room to look in a mirror other shoppers see you & may try on what your trying & then buy it.
It’s a sales tactic.
I know this from store owners.
The big fitting room not private ones is the same idea.

They need to realize they lose many customers that way. I refuse to shop there.

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:54 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
Never occurred to me that it's about tznuah. I just assume they want you to have to come out so they can oooh and ahhh and talk you into buying everything you try on.

This

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:54 am

I'm confused - how is looking in the mirror at your own body different than directly looking at it? Do they not look at their own body?

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:57 am
Most stores in my neighborhood do have mirrors in the rooms, but I always go out to the mirrors in the store. I find that you're standing too close to the dressing room mirror and you can't properly see the fit.

hodeez

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:03 am
And u just know there's some husband in the corner watching it all 🙄

Wolfsbane

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:11 am
Almost definitely to encourage you to step out of the dressing room so the salesperson can encourage you to buy it (or try it in a different size etc...) Besides all the other reasons it can be inconvenient or uncomfortable - it is particularly annoying if you're trying something on that requires other outfit pieces to be tzanua (trying on a shirt when you walked in wearing a dress, a top that might need a shell etc.)

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:16 am
there are some stores with a completely open dressing room so theres no rooms but one big room for everyone to get dressed in. They want the customers to be used as "models" other customers will see clothing being tried on that looked better than on the hanger or maybe they didnt notice it on the racks and seeing it on the other person will make them want to try it on

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:22 am
They should also have chairs or benches you can sit on to be sure the knees are covered.

cbg

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:22 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
Most stores in my neighborhood do have mirrors in the rooms, but I always go out to the mirrors in the store. I find that you're standing too close to the dressing room mirror and you can't properly see the fit.

Yes but if it’s an absolute no way you want to get it off quickly with no one seeing
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics