Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Teach me your system for running an organized home
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:27 am
Yup. Those are my yontiff cloths that sit in the closet and come out once a year. If you have small kids, don't even think about them unless you have a trust fund. Lol. There are much better uses for your hard earned money.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:41 am
The birth control comment made me cackle. I must be using the wrong birth control because none of mine have cleaned my house. I am planning to try something like flylady soon where each day has a different job.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:44 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Such deceptively simple advice could only be given by a born organized person LOL

Surprise surprise. I’m the most disorganized person by nature. This advice from watching a bunch of organizing shows and reading up on it changed my life.

ora_43

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:50 am
The list of advice I've heard is very long, the list of stuff that's worked for me, not so much.

My top few:

1. tableclothes that can be wiped down

2. get kids to do some simple daily chores. takes extra effort at the beginning but SO SO worth it.

3. don't own clothes that can't survive being washed on a normal setting, mixed load

4. don't match socks. everyone gets a million copies of the same pair of socks, the end.

5. if a machine can do it for you, buy that machine

6. when cleaning a room, have a box at hand for everything that belongs in other rooms

7. use long-term storage. eg if my kids have 10 favorite games I'm not going to get rid of 5, but I might put 5 in storage for a few months - then I only have a normal number of games to deal with

8. for anyone with executive function issues, prioritize ease of putting away. it's ok if things are a bit harder to find or if storage looks bad, as long as it's easy to put things back when done using them.

9. online shopping + saved grocery list with ALL products you regularly buy. when shopping go down the list and take off whatever you don't need that week. (harder to forget you need things)

10. every once in a while take a look at the mess and see what's getting messy and where, and deal with that thing. eg towels on the floor -> need new towel pegs.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:55 am
Oh wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to type up all these ideas. I need to hear this. I'm going to print out this thread and hope to try to implement them, one at a time.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanx!

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:05 am
ora_43 wrote:
The list of advice I've heard is very long, the list of stuff that's worked for me, not so much.

My top few:

2. get kids to do some simple daily chores. takes extra effort at the beginning but SO SO worth it.

3. don't own clothes that can't survive being washed on a normal setting, mixed load

4. don't match socks. everyone gets a million copies of the same pair of socks, the end.

6. when cleaning a room, have a box at hand for everything that belongs in other rooms

7. use long-term storage. eg if my kids have 10 favorite games I'm not going to get rid of 5, but I might put 5 in storage for a few months - then I only have a normal number of games to deal with

8. for anyone with executive function issues, prioritize ease of putting away. it's ok if things are a bit harder to find or if storage looks bad, as long as it's easy to put things back when done using them.

9. online shopping + saved grocery list with ALL products you regularly buy. when shopping go down the list and take off whatever you don't need that week. (harder to forget you need things)

10. every once in a while take a look at the mess and see what's getting messy and where, and deal with that thing. eg towels on the floor -> need new towel pegs.

Thank you for these.
What program do you use for online shopping list/ #9?

giftedmom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:05 am
I use a lot of disposable plastic tablecloths. I always have one on the kitchen table. Clearing off from dinner is taking off some utensils and then dumping the entire thing in the garbage and putting on a new one.

GettingThere

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:22 am
Paper goods is the best investment for your sanity. Double dinner and have for 2 nights. Batch cook/bake and freeze. Stick to the same shabbos menu so your shopping list etc. is the same and takes less brain space. Don't bother folding toddler/baby clothes, dump in drawers based on type. Do laundry on one set day a week and have enough clothes so you're not doing it every day and can't catch your tail. Write mitzvah notes, sign homework papers and lunches etc. night before-your morning self will thank you. Have many more children, amen!

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:41 am
I wish I could follow the tip about throwing anything into a mixed, normal load. My boys' white shirts would get killed like that

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:48 am
maybe if you want to share some details about your stage we can help you more. are you working? kids? cleaning help?
but basic you can clean bedrooms in the morning and kitchen at night.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:52 am
Add mom here. With bunch little ones
Make sure to do a load every night. If one night you are overwhelmed just throw in mixed load into washer and then dryer obviously not delicate stuff but don't skip!!! So it won't pile up. Then take the few minutes once a day to fold and put away. I do it with my little ones they put it away we do it together as a project.
Also clean up your kitchen with kids. Accomplishes two things that kids are entertained and kitchen looks decent. Buy roll of stickers or other small treat. U turn on timer and if everything picked up from floor before time is up they get sticker. Same to counter you hand them stuff to put away and they keep coming back for more etc you can even do this with baby in hand. I sweep and wash counters loads of luck!!!

momof2+?

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:53 am
SuperWify wrote:
Surprise surprise. I’m the most disorganized person by nature. This advice from watching a bunch of organizing shows and reading up on it changed my life.

That’s why your name is SuperWify!!!! Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:12 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
maybe if you want to share some details about your stage we can help you more. are you working? kids? cleaning help?
but basic you can clean bedrooms in the morning and kitchen at night.

I work about 10 hours/week. The rest of the time I'm home with 2 kids, 6 months and 2.5. My older kids are in school. I have cleaning help twice a week for 3 hours. She mainly cleans the bathrooms, mops floors, changes linens.

My current laundry system is that I trained my kids to put everything into the washing machine as soon as they take it off. I use a color catcher and wash everything together. When it comes out of the dryer, I sort into each kid's basket that goes to their room. So my kids almost always have everything that they need as far as clean clothes. However, I almost never fold laundry. Some of my kids are really bothered by this and I wish I did it. I just Can never seem to find the time. Maybe there's a better way to run the laundry that will make it easier Idk..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:14 am
SuperWify wrote:
My system is very simple.

Everything has a home and the home is close to the place where it is used so it’s easy to put it back.

You make it sound so simple. In my brain, I know that this needs to happen. However, I don't know how to set up my house like this. That's part of the help I need. I'm constantly throwing things out but we still always have way too much stuff.

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:18 am
amother Indigo wrote:
I grew up in a tight ship home. everything had a place and mother did everything to perfection. while some of that rubbed off on me and I'm naturally organized too, I want to say that these child-rearing years are chaotic. I'm really struggling to keep afloat and to do it all. it's a huge challenge BH.
just wanted to say, you're normal and you're not alone.
so what are so,e tricks you observed from her?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:18 am
amother OP wrote:
I work about 10 hours/week. The rest of the time I'm home with 2 kids, 6 months and 2.5. My older kids are in school. I have cleaning help twice a week for 3 hours. She mainly cleans the bathrooms, mops floors, changes linens.

My current laundry system is that I trained my kids to put everything into the washing machine as soon as they take it off. I use a color catcher and wash everything together. When it comes out of the dryer, I sort into each kid's basket that goes to their room. So my kids almost always have everything that they need as far as clean clothes. However, I almost never fold laundry. Some of my kids are really bothered by this and I wish I did it. I just Can never seem to find the time. Maybe there's a better way to run the laundry that will make it easier Idk..

It sounds like the laundry cleaning system is working for you. Stick with it!

Make a family activity out of folding the laundry. Kids fold laundry with folding boards while you pair up the socks. Put on some music- it's a fun group activity for the whole family together on the couch!

This is kids size.
https://www.amazon.com/Miracle.....psc=1

Adult/teen size clothes.
https://www.amazon.com/BoxLege.....1ZQ==

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:30 am
If this works with your personality, throw things out or give them away. Once in a blue moon, something will need to be replaced, but usually not.
Write lists. Every day, write what you’d like to get done that day and star the items that are urgent for that day. Cross off when done. I love crossing things off lists!
Speaking of lists, keep a running grocery order and divide it into sections of the grocery to make shopping trips easier. For example, pantry, paper goods etc.
Also in the list category goes Shabbos prep. For years, I’ve had difficulty making it to the finish line by candle lighting time. I started making a list of things to cook (pick a maximum number of items and stick with it) and thank G-d it’s been much easier to be on time for me.
I also keep lists of things to order online, jobs to do around the house and phone calls that need to be made.

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:21 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Now for elaboration.

Snacks- I have 1 tiny shelf for it so I use a big bin. When I get a pack of chips or pretzels or whatever I divide it into bags and throw it into the bin. In the morning they can choose 3 from the bin, it takes 2 seconds.

Homework ends up in a file on my counter, once done it goes straight into the book bags. School shoes are placed by the door so in the morning there’s no “mommmmmy where’s my shoes?”

I have limited closet space so I’m very careful to only buy pieces that I love and will wear. Of course it sometimes happens that I end of buying things that are just a waste of space so I purge often and give away with no regrets. To banish the guilt I give to people I know will enjoy it (like family in Israel). I have a big bin which I wait until it’s full and then I get rid. Things that are no longer useable or things that should not be given away (like underwear) go to H&M’s recycling box - bonus you get a discount, yay.

We have set nights for a bath and they are non negotiable. I give toothbrushes in the bath because I will admit I’m not so great at remembering otherwise. I make sure to have towels and pjs ready for when they come out beforehand.

While I can never be a true minimalist the principle is something I can try to follow. Only keep what you use. If you haven’t used it for a year it’s time to say goodbye. The only exceptions are like baby gear, maternity clothes, and a few other storage things.

My kids have about 6 containers of toys. I invested in good quality toys that they play with over and again. They don’t need more and cleaning up is a breeze. Every box is labeled for easy cleanup. (Manga tiles, wooden train, big Lego, Lego, marble run, animals, little people) They have a prize box for their junk but once it’s full they (or I) need to purge.
Messy things like play doh and kinetic sand are kept out of reach. I have a splat mat which we do the activity on and only with an adult present.
We use memory boxes for sentimental things we’d like to keep. Once in a while we take it out and it’s cute to look out.

I switched from clunky albums to photo books which are easier to do and give a much neater look overall.

Shabbos-
Sunday/ Monday invite guests.
Tuesday- menu plan
Wednesday- shop and bake (challah and dessert)
Thursday- cook. Homemade dips are made in bulk so I don’t make every week.
Friday- clean and set table

Which marble run do you like?

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:28 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I love your advice. The only six toys blew my mind. What shows and what books did you find most practical?

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 1:42 pm
ora_43 wrote:

My top few:

Love these
I do a lot of them.

Add to that, use disposables as much as possible, and cook whatever you can in the oven.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics