Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Teach me your system for running an organized home
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:10 am
Toy rule:

ONLY own toys that the kids play longer with it than it takes to actually clean it up.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:13 am
This is the most foolproof amazing laundry system I've implemented 3 years ago. Works amazing for our family of 6

Sunday- darks and delicates
Mondays -lights and whites
Tuesday- towels and linen
Wednesday- darks and delicates
Thursday- lights and whites
Friday- towels

Some rules:

*all laundry of the day have to be folded and packed away by the end of each day

*Linen is washed/ switched every other week, I created a rotating system of rooms to cover that

*If there's a bedwetting issue buy the ready sets that don't need blanket cover

*I purchase clothing uniforms undies etc to match this system. The system tells me what we still need and how much (ex. Kid doesn't have enough pants on this system I go out and get another 1...)

*My schedule hangs in the laundry area and my kids know not to ask for the dark sweater if they dumped it into the hamper the day before

*last but not least buy clothing that serve you not that you need to serve and worship (dry clean, hang to dry...)

amother
Aster

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:30 am
amother Broom wrote:
Toy rule:

ONLY own toys that the kids play longer with it than it takes to actually clean it up.

Ha I do this with food! Only cook food that takes less time to prepare than it does to eat it.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:54 am
care to share recipes that follow that rule Wink

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:57 am
amother Broom wrote:
This is the most foolproof amazing laundry system I've implemented 3 years ago. Works amazing for our family of 6

Sunday- darks and delicates
Mondays -lights and whites
Tuesday- towels and linen
Wednesday- darks and delicates
Thursday- lights and whites
Friday- towels

Some rules:

*all laundry of the day have to be folded and packed away by the end of each day

*Linen is washed/ switched every other week, I created a rotating system of rooms to cover that

*If there's a bedwetting issue buy the ready sets that don't need blanket cover

*I purchase clothing uniforms undies etc to match this system. The system tells me what we still need and how much (ex. Kid doesn't have enough pants on this system I go out and get another 1...)

*My schedule hangs in the laundry area and my kids know not to ask for the dark sweater if they dumped it into the hamper the day before

*last but not least buy clothing that serve you not that you need to serve and worship (dry clean, hang to dry...)

I'm overwhelmed from this. You must be superwoman. How much time do you devote to laundry every day?

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 12:09 pm
I have ADHD so housekeeping is a real struggle. I need to actively work at it.
These are some things that help me.

10 min tidy. I give the kids jobs or areas while I do cleaning at the same time.

Cleaning help. She does all the hard core scrubbing.

Dishwashers.

Laundry. Each person has their own hamper. Clothes are folded straight into the dresser. I do a load every day (or two) if needed. Kids who are camp age do their own laundry.

I make a menu at the beginning of the week but really it's a rotation of a 2 week menu. Shabbos Yom tov I have a master list of veggie sides, grain sides, kugel sides, salads, mains, desserts. I make a menu by picking from whatever category I need. The kids often help make menus.

Stagger bed times so kids get time and attention and it's not a zoo of gaggling kids keeping each other up.

Supper as soon as kids get home and snack later if they need.

Create systems based on habits not the other way around. Ie kids keeps dumping their shoes by the door. We have a basket by the door were they can dump them.

That's all on the top of my head. If you have any questions or specific areas, I can try help.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:11 pm
Following
These posts are very helpful
Thank you

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm overwhelmed from this. You must be superwoman. How much time do you devote to laundry every day?

This only is necessary with more kids.

With 2 kids I used to do laundry 1-2x weekly.

With my size family ppl usually do a load or 2 a day anyway so that's exactly what this system is in a less scatterbrained way.

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Which organizing course did you take?

Took yidish course, even though yidish isn't my first language. Was amazing how she walked us through closet by closet room by room and she had a prerecorded morn and eve routine to follow... Also tips on how and what to get rid of. Literally the ABCs of running a home.

I very much agree with the poster that says everything needs a home... In other words everything in the house needs an official place otherwise it'll keep finding itself in the wrong places and clutter attracts more clutter.

And also great idea to store things where it is used most.

A lot of the phenomenal tips shared here are next level which is also amazing and beautiful but I totally get you that the foundations have to be put in place.

Last tip I want to share is to find 1-2 ppl in your life that love giving advice and are organized and healthy by nature. I have such a friend/neighbor. I call her when I feel stuck with the system or function of a closet or I when I Wanna re-evalute why an area keeps messing up etc

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:57 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Birth control won't hurt .

Why is this so offensive? Having a lot of kids close together is stressful, she’s asking for tips to make life less stressful.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 11:13 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
Why is this so offensive? Having a lot of kids close together is stressful, she’s asking for tips to make life less stressful.

A. What is she supposed to do with the kids she already has?
B. You're treading on a person's reproductive rights here. She knows dang well that having kids is stressful, but she's not asking for that sort of advice. The remark was snarky and you know it. If you can't see why, you don't have the brains G-d gave a flea.

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 12:13 am
zaq wrote:
A. What is she supposed to do with the kids she already has?
B. You're treading on a person's reproductive rights here. She knows dang well that having kids is stressful, but she's not asking for that sort of advice. The remark was snarky and you know it. If you can't see why, you don't have the brains G-d gave a flea.

Rude.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 12:44 am
amother Petunia wrote:

I didn't ask for tips to make life less stressful. I asked for help keeping my home organized.

Either way, did I say that I have a lot of kids close together?

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 1:44 am
amother Brass wrote:
I have ADHD so housekeeping is a real struggle. I need to actively work at it.
These are some things that help me.

10 min tidy. I give the kids jobs or areas while I do cleaning at the same time.

Cleaning help. She does all the hard core scrubbing.

Dishwashers.

Laundry. Each person has their own hamper. Clothes are folded straight into the dresser. I do a load every day (or two) if needed. Kids who are camp age do their own laundry.

I make a menu at the beginning of the week but really it's a rotation of a 2 week menu. Shabbos Yom tov I have a master list of veggie sides, grain sides, kugel sides, salads, mains, desserts. I make a menu by picking from whatever category I need. The kids often help make menus.

Stagger bed times so kids get time and attention and it's not a zoo of gaggling kids keeping each other up.

Supper as soon as kids get home and snack later if they need.

Create systems based on habits not the other way around. Ie kids keeps dumping their shoes by the door. We have a basket by the door were they can dump them.

That's all on the top of my head. If you have any questions or specific areas, I can try help.

Struggling with this part. Supper is ready closer to (or after) 6 than to 5 way too often.
I work from home until 3-3:30 when first kid comes home (besides baby at home). By then I'm so exhausted I can't think of cooking for an hour for sure. I have a menu so what to make is not the issue. And it's real easy simple prep. I probably should be prepping in the morning but when the kids are out of the house I'm still busy with baby and finishing to make breakfast for myself and by the time its all done and baby settled it's quite late and I have to start working. I do squeeze in sometimes to throw in a load.

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 6:20 am
I so can’t relate to the laundry every day thing! I do all my laundry on motzei shabbos/Sunday for the week. And then I can ignore it the rest of the week for the most part. We have enough clothing for everyone for the week. I can’t imagine being busy with laundry every. Single. Day. For reference I have five kids.
I try to fold each load as it comes out or at least before I go to sleep on Sunday it should be all put away…
I do need to wash uniforms once during the week cuz those are expensive too buy enough of.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 6:30 am
SuperWify wrote:
My system is very simple.

Everything has a home and the home is close to the place where it is used so it’s easy to put it back.

Same here.
For everything.

People are amazed how everything is so organized & labeled (well, not everything).

But for me it’s the only way to maintain order.
If people come visit & stay by me I don’t get stressed if they make messes b/c when they leave, we can clean up & it’s not such a big deal.
& I wasn’t always like this - it takes work and thought to set it up, but once it’s done, it’s really so much easier to live.

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 10:54 am
amother Petunia wrote:
Rude.
Middah keneged middah: so was the original remark.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 1:40 pm
giftedmom wrote:
I use a lot of disposable plastic tablecloths. I always have one on the kitchen table. Clearing off from dinner is taking off some utensils and then dumping the entire thing in the garbage and putting on a new one.

I do this too! Best ever!!

Some of my tips-

Each kid has a cubby spot to put coat and backpack and a container for their prizes or junk lol

My garage is backstock of what I have extras of.

My cabinets are more empty so I can find things.

I make a big pot of macaroni twice a week.
Buy enough sand which bread ( we like Trader Joe’s) for two weeks and freeze it.

I always double dinners and freeze one.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics