Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Transitional objects

zufriedene

Post Sat, Jun 07 2008, 2:58 pm
HAving issues with our teenagers, they were asked what were your transitional objects? and non of them could recall Sad
I hope I didnt let them down terribly with irreversible damage Rolling Eyes
Idea PLS pay attention to your toddlers, lets share ideas and thoughts on transitional objects, then maybe on the over 35 group we can speak of our own memories Wink

zufriedene

Post Mon, Jun 09 2008, 5:21 pm
I was sure this was going to be an intersting thread, my whole family is into sharing memories for the last 2 weeks, and an amazing amount of soul searching is happpening. I wonder why no one responded, is the title not familiar? u can bcome informed thru ggogle and then maybe there will be some responses. I was really looking forward to having a succssful thread.

mimivan

Post Mon, Jun 09 2008, 5:35 pm
Don't worry...people were probably really busy with shavuos..

I had a little lamb I called, appropriately enough "lamby lamb" (interesting I later became Lubavitch and our minhag is that children should be given kosher rather than non-kosher animal toys...it wasn't so common to have a lamb instead of a teddy bear)

I kept it forever, but it was destroyed in a house fire. My brother had a puppy he slept with and still has. I think he passed it on to his son.

My boys don't have transitional objects so much. Maybe it is because we co-sleep. My four year old has fixations on sleeping with a toy but it is never the same toy every night. Tonight he is sleeping with his yo-yo...

My 22 month old will walk around with whatever he picks up first thing in the morning. I had nachas ruach from the time he walked around with a little siddur all day...some days it is a bentscher (have to make sure he doesn't go into the bathroom with it). I had the kids help me peel carrots on Erev Shavuos (the toddler's "help" was just a token thing) and he walked around with a small carrot and carrot peeler from noon until candle lighthing!

But they have ZERO interest in stuffed animals. I am just going to put them away. I don't know why, but I have never seen kids with less interest in stuffed animals. I know it isn't a gender thing, because both my brothers had a puppy or a bear.

Maybe it is because of the co-sleeping. They don't feel they need it.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 12:29 am
None of my kids had something they needed to have with them. I don't think it makes you a bad parent for not remembering. If it was such an important factor of their life you WOULD remember it.

catonmylap

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 2:51 am
I had blue blanket. I actually still have it around...

My ds doesn't have a transitional object.

mimivan

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 3:00 am
maybe your new transitional object is the cat on your lap! LOL
I also like cats (domesticated ones, not the ones who roam the streets here)

LuckyMum

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 5:08 am
I never had one, and dont remmeber any of my siblings having one either...
I guess its a type - some kids need it some kids dont (we didnt cosleep either, I was never allowed into my mothers bed.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics