Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Did a/o NOT get tips?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:05 pm
I'm also an SLP with 25 students. I agree that it's a very difficult job and we are very underappreciated. People don't understand what it's like to prepare 50+ sessions a week, do sessions all day back to back with no breaks, and have an insane amount of paperwork to do at home (I'm spending my day off doing paperwork which is very upsetting because I really need a break).

That said, I don't expect anything because I understand that parents are struggling financially. I did get two tips and a donut which was really thoughtful and generous.

I also make sure to give my children's therapists, and I give them the same amount I give teachers ($18).

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:05 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I like my sons OT a lot but per hour she makes a lot more then I do so tipping would not even occur to me. I am always very thankful. I will probably send her a nice text for all she does for him but why would I give her money? I don't have copious amounts of extra cash and if I am going to give what I do have, it will likely go to the rebbe and morah who are with him all day every day. And make half of what the therapist makes.

OP I am sorry your burned out. 30 kids is a lot to see each week. I would really look for a better environment to work in that sounds very hard.

Everyone is very much entitled to make their own decisions about money and what to do with it. However, this justification seems very odd to me. I never thought of tipping as "you make less that I do so therefore you deserve a tip". And regardless, I always thought of the "tips" more as gifts to show appreciation. I have given people, much wealthier than me, gifts many times. Their income doesn't come into the thought process at all. I want them to know I appreciate what they are doing for me or my child.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im a SLP in a school and have 30 students on my case load.
I got 2 chanukah gifts

Im just feel under appreciated. I spend so much of my own money on my students and I spend hours doing session notes, annual reviews, paperwork, speaking to parents, texting parents... Especially since this field doesn't pay anything.

It would have been nice to get a thank you card or text....

I feel so awful, this just reminded me that I forgot to send to the SLP. It's not at the forefront of my thought as I really don't hear about it much this year, and it truly did not cross my mind.

Just a good reminder that I will send after chanukah, better late than never. Thank you

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:11 pm
I haven’t tipped my kids therapists yet and plan to do on Monday. I didn’t think I can give money, how does that work? Expensive chocolate truffles and a detailed card of appreciation was my plan.
Can I throw in a 20?

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:13 pm
I guess its hard for me to see why I should tip someone making a professional salary. I dont tip my CPA, a lawyer, my doctor. I see therapists the same way. Show gratitude yes for any service but the money aspect feels odd. I am more a fan of gift giving at the end of the school year then Chanukah it makes more sense to me to say thank you for a great year.

Also, if parents are paying $100 a session cash or very limited insurance plans which is how it works in my boys yeshiva, I would be so uncomfortable taking more from them. Affording therapy is already so so so hard.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:13 pm
I can’t afford to pay my bills and I’m far from alone. Inflation has hit us all hard. No, I won’t tip my child’s therapist. I’d rather use the money towards the 10k I owe the IRS or the 20k in credit card debt.

You can’t expect tips when financial times are so hard. It’s not like you’re a teacher getting paid so little.

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:14 pm
This season has be thinking how anyone survives.

2 children $320 total

Rebbe $100
Assistant Rebbe $50
Menahal $100 (most don't give, but we are really happy and decided to do it this year)
Bus Driver $20
Bus Rebbe $20
Sitter's Assistant $30

I didn't give sitter anything, I'm still thinking if I should. I give cash every week. I am not sure my $30 is worth it.. and we are kinda spent out. I got a bonus too. Office. But it didn't cover the above.

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:14 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I guess its hard for me to see why I should tip someone making a professional salary. I dont tip my CPA, a lawyer, my doctor. I see therapists the same way. Show gratitude yes for any service but the money aspect feels odd. I am more a fan of gift giving at the end of the school year then Chanukah it makes more sense to me to say thank you for a great year.

Also, if parents are paying $100 a session cash or very limited insurance plans which is how it works in my boys yeshiva, I would be so uncomfortable taking more from them. Affording therapy is already so so so hard.
In NY state most of us aren’t paying cash for our kids therapists.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:16 pm
I dont think many of you realize that most therapists do get paid the same as teachers, often times less.... with less financial breaks like chasdei leiv, food breaks during YT and school discounts. Not that its a competition, but to say that we make a "professional salary" is comical.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:18 pm
mha3484 wrote:

So therapists are not making a salary anywhere near Dr's or lawyers. Idk about CPAs.

And if parents are paying so much per session, then yes, I would agree that giving a gift on top of that is not necessary. I am just under the impression that many therapists in schools are paid by an agency which does not pay them nearly as much. Though I could be wrong.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:19 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Lol our salaries don't come close to what a doctor, lawyer or CPA makes

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:24 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
I can’t afford to pay my bills and I’m far from alone. Inflation has hit us all hard. No, I won’t tip my child’s therapist. I’d rather use the money towards the 10k I owe the IRS or the 20k in credit card debt.

You can’t expect tips when financial times are so hard. It’s not like you’re a teacher getting paid so little.

We actually make pretty much the same as teachers do. I have friends and family members who are morahs and I have compared actual numbers with them.

Therapists get paid hourly, and don't get paid for any off days or when kids are sick. And most schools don't allow us to start right at the beginning of the school year, so we lose out a lot in September. So it basically evens out with what a teacher makes.

My dd is not in school yet, but when she is it may be worthwhile for me to become a morah. Most schools offer a generous tuition break if you teach in your child's school. But they won't offer that break to the "rich" speech therapist.

keym

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:24 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
If she thought to text you then she should have sent something for you. That isn’t right.

When I was a tutor I’d get chocolate bars and danishes with a thank you note. What does that cost? 50c? It makes all the difference. And lots of parents didn’t send anything which was also ok. But if I got nothing and then a text complaining about you not doing extra work, I would be quite hurt.

I'm just pointing out that a danish or chocolate bar is NOT 50c anymore.
More like $1.50-$2.
A family that has 10 Rebbes/Morahs, 8 English teachers, 15 bus drivers, 10 assorted therapists, 2 assistants.
Even a $2 chocolate bar per person can blow the budget really quickly

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:25 pm
Its a lousy way to work and I feel bad for the OP but I just think that a lot of people see it from a different perspective. We see therapists as professionals who only see our kid 30min to an hour a week and it goes to the bottom of the pile vs my sons rebbe who is with him 6x a week for 4 hours a time and has 19 other boys to manage. And my child is not easy to manage. Its good to see both sides of the issue.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:26 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
So therapists are not making a salary anywhere near Dr's or lawyers. Idk about CPAs.

And if parents are paying so much per session, then yes, I would agree that giving a gift on top of that is not necessary. I am just under the impression that many therapists in schools are paid by an agency which does not pay them nearly as much. Though I could be wrong.

This. OP is not talking about private pay therapists. She is talking about agency therapists that the parents don't pay for (but have no problem making a million demands of the therapists and expecting endless phone call and private-pay level therapy)

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:29 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Its a lousy way to work and I feel bad for the OP but I just think that a lot of people see it from a different perspective. We see therapists as professionals who only see our kid 30min to an hour a week and it goes to the bottom of the pile vs my sons rebbe who is with him 6x a week for 4 hours a time and has 19 other boys to manage. And my child is not easy to manage. Its good to see both sides of the issue.

It's true that we see your children less than the teacher does. But then why do parents demand more of us than they do of teachers? I have parents who expect monthly phone calls. Yet they would never expect the teacher to make monthly phone calls.

I have 25 students. When in the world am I supposed to making 25 phone calls a month? I work during the school day, plus extra sessions in the evenings and on sundays.

keym

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:30 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
This. OP is not talking about private pay therapists. She is talking about agency therapists that the parents don't pay for (but have no problem making a million demands of the therapists and expecting endless phone call and private-pay level therapy)

Should we start tipping pediatricians and dentists who take Medicaid because they're getting reimbursed a lot less than private-pay doctors.

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:30 pm
I am an OT in a special education school with 30 students on my caseload. Over 3/4 of them tipped or sent a gift. It could be that since these kids are higher needs, their parents are more involved/appreciative. I think people tip therapists in frum schools in NY (or at least I thought they did until now) mostly because it’s the culture to do so. I would disagree with the poster who says she doesn’t tip her lawyer or CPA. Lawyers and CPAs can definitely receive gifts from clients, especially during gift season or a busy season.
Anon because of my identifying line of work.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:33 pm
A tip is an extra. It can’t be an expectation. Then it’s not a tip.
A therapist gets paid per session. That is the job.
A thank you should be said, hakarat hatov is important- but why is there a monetary expectation? And why is there resentment if a gift isn’t received?
Maybe the child should receive a tip for being a good student/ client.
The expectation and feeling that the gift (which by definition isn’t mandatory) is owed is what I don’t understand.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:33 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:

Those of us not on medicaid have copays and coinsurance. I pay plenty for therapy through agencies.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics