Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Did a/o NOT get tips?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:21 pm
Im a SLP in a school and have 30 students on my case load.
I got 2 chanukah gifts

Im just feel under appreciated. I spend so much of my own money on my students and I spend hours doing session notes, annual reviews, paperwork, speaking to parents, texting parents... Especially since this field doesn't pay anything.

It would have been nice to get a thank you card or text....

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:24 pm
From a parent. We are struggling financially just to pay tuition. We have 8 + children. It's impossible this year to give tips. I will send notes by tomorrow to all teachers and rebbeim, but that s all I can do this year. And ita not for lack of appreciation. Ita for lack of means. Giving ten dollars is making fun. I rather right a note from my heart.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:27 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
From a parent. We are struggling financially just to pay tuition. We have 8 + children. It's impossible this year to give tips. I will send notes by tomorrow to all teachers and rebbeim, but that s all I can do this year. And ita not for lack of appreciation. Ita for lack of means. Giving ten dollars is making fun. I rather right a note from my heart.

I definitely understand. I hope your situation improves shortly iyh!

It would have been to get a card from parents thanking me for the work I put into their children. One parent just texted me "hi why didnt you send HW over chanukah?" (shes very ontop of her sons doing follow up work at home- I see 2 of her sons).

Maybe im just burned out.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:27 pm
As a teacher I got one tip this year. Also no cards or thank you gestures. But it's ok. I think it's very much culture and community dependent. In some places it's more acceptable to tip then in others.

Also I know that people are busy and money is tight. Whenever people post here what to send for teachers and they write how tight they are and the pressure that they have to tip, I always write that they please shouldn't stress over it. I love their daughter anyway! I won't treat her any less... And it's true. Tips are nice and appreciated, but it's ok if didn't get. I know my parents appreciate when their kids come home happy and they see what they learned.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I got 2 chanukah gifts

Im just feel under appreciated. I spend so much of my own money on my students and I spend hours doing session notes, annual reviews, paperwork, speaking to parents, texting parents... Especially since this field doesn't pay anything.

I have 15 students SETSS. I got from 3. (I work 4x a week with each)

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:28 pm
amother Lavender wrote:

Sorry that you're struggling. I hope your situation improves!

Just so you know, a nice note goes a very long way!

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:30 pm
amother OP wrote:

It would have been to get a card from parents thanking me for the work I put into their children. One parent just texted me "hi why didnt you send HW over chanukah?" (shes very ontop of her sons doing follow up work at home- I see 2 of her sons).

Oy, that is a hurtful message. It’s your vacation as much as it’s theirs. Not even a long break! This message would trigger me as well.

And vacation from homework is important too… they can come back refreshed!

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:32 pm
amother Lavender wrote:

Just curious, what does 8 PLUS children mean?

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
I got 2 chanukah gifts

I think most ppl can't afford tips/ gifts for everyone. And sending a note/card without a tip, it's blah...
I would love to give gifts from everyone! I have 8 kids, it's either sending gifts for teachers etc or making a grocery order. Should my pantry be empty because u need a tip?

bsy

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:33 pm
I have almost 20 students. Got one. I don't expect anything but a thank you card is also appreciated

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
I got 2 chanukah gifts

Gifts aren’t obligatory or a given. Some people can’t afford it and struggle just to pay tuition.

It’s the school’s responsibility to pay the teachers directly, not the parents.

Yes, a thank you note is always a nice thing. But it doesn’t sound like you really would’ve been happy to get 30 thank you cards.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:38 pm
OT here. No tips.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:40 pm
I gave my kids teachers whatever school asked for, gifted 2 rebbeim and bus drivers as well.
My son in first grade goes out for tutoring and I would have loved to give a small gift. I don't even know her name!! She never ever called me. I asked the teacher she said she's not sure who my son has.
To give her a gift I have to call the school who will transfer me to lady in charge of tutoring and if I get thru to her ask who is his tutoring morah. I didn't find the time to do it. So I didn't send. I'm sure she deserve something but it doesn't make sense to me.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

If she thought to text you then she should have sent something for you. That isn’t right.

When I was a tutor I’d get chocolate bars and danishes with a thank you note. What does that cost? 50c? It makes all the difference. And lots of parents didn’t send anything which was also ok. But if I got nothing and then a text complaining about you not doing extra work, I would be quite hurt.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:46 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
I gave my kids teachers whatever school asked for, gifted 2 rebbeim and bus drivers as well.
My son in first grade goes out for tutoring and I would have loved to give a small gift. I don't even know her name!! She never ever called me. I asked the teacher she said she's not sure who my son has.
To give her a gift I have to call the school who will transfer me to lady in charge of tutoring and if I get thru to her ask who is his tutoring morah. I didn't find the time to do it. So I didn't send. I'm sure she deserve something but it doesn't make sense to me.
That’s very weird. When I tutored I was required to call the parents and give them my number so they could contact me.

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:46 pm
I like my sons OT a lot but per hour she makes a lot more then I do so tipping would not even occur to me. I am always very thankful. I will probably send her a nice text for all she does for him but why would I give her money? I don't have copious amounts of extra cash and if I am going to give what I do have, it will likely go to the rebbe and morah who are with him all day every day. And make half of what the therapist makes.

OP I am sorry your burned out. 30 kids is a lot to see each week. I would really look for a better environment to work in that sounds very hard.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:47 pm
I also work in intervention in schools and I very rarely get anything chanukah time, end of the year, etc. I understand that parents are often stretched thin and I really don’t need any gifts. But a thank you card would be so appreciated!

This year I got gift cards from two students (one was only $5), but just being remembered made me feel so good. One mother wrote a very nice note expressing her appreciation. I would have been happy enough with that note, even if it hadn’t come with a gift card.

Parents, a note with a small token, or even alone, is really enough! It won’t make me think less of you. It helps give me koach to keep giving my all to your kids.

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I got 2 chanukah gifts

I'm sorry nobody acknowledged your hard work. I doubt 28 parents are in such a bad financial situation that they couldn't come up with a little something!
Whoever doesn't have money can still write out a card and add a bar of chocolate.
You have to realize that most parents never met you and it's easy to forget that your child goes out once or twice a week for 30 minutes in the middle of the day!
Some woukd like to send a gift but if those same children also get help from OT or tutoring hebrew/english..English...
At the end of the day if you tip everyone, it adds up to a lot! Especially if you have a few kids getting supplemental services!

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:48 pm
My kid has tons of therapists. I barely scraped enough together for all the teachers. I have also been running on very little sleep and life has been stressful. When my daughter came home with a chanukah gift from one of her therapists I realized they all probably expected something. At most I can write a card or give a cheap gift. I wish everyone would stop judging and expecting things. We are all just trying to survive.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:00 pm
Many people feel uncomfortable sending a thank you card with no cash. It puts them in the spotlight of not being able to afford...
I wish we wouldnt have tipping culture. I really do.
The expenses are through the roof. Its very hard for some people
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics