Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Did a/o NOT get tips?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 4:21 pm
Slp here. No tips for me so far. That's OK.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 4:34 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
From a parent. We are struggling financially just to pay tuition. We have 8 + children. It's impossible this year to give tips. I will send notes by tomorrow to all teachers and rebbeim, but that s all I can do this year. And ita not for lack of appreciation. Ita for lack of means. Giving ten dollars is making fun. I rather right a note from my heart.

Give a donut and a nice note. Just show appreciation. That’s all

Op, if you don’t call or write to the parents at least once a month then they don’t even know who is working with their child. You have to make yourself known to the mother if you want tips. My childs speech therapist updates me once a month. She got a gift and card now. Dd told me last week she has a ivrei “tutor” that takes her out. I never heard from her this year so she didn’t get anything. If she would call just once to at least introduce herself I’d send something.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 4:44 pm
flowerpower wrote:

Op, if you don’t call or write to the parents at least once a month then they don’t even know who is working with their child. You have to make yourself known to the mother if you want tips. My childs speech therapist updates me once a month. She got a gift and card now. Dd told me last week she has a ivrei “tutor” that takes her out. I never heard from her this year so she didn’t get anything. If she would call just once to at least introduce herself I’d send something.

OP said she has 30 students. Where is she supposed to find the time to make 30 phone calls every month? As it is, there is so much extra work to do at home (prep, paperwork etc). Do you expect teachers to call you once a month?

I call every single parent in the beginning of the year to introduce myself. During the year, I make phone calls if I have time. As my family grows, I have less time to spend on the phone. My kids need me in the evening and it isn't fair to them for me to be on the phone all the time for work.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 4:49 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
OP said she has 30 students. Where is she supposed to find the time to make 30 phone calls every month? As it is, there is so much extra work to do at home (prep, paperwork etc). Do you expect teachers to call you once a month?

I call every single parent in the beginning of the year to introduce myself. During the year, I make phone calls if I have time. As my family grows, I have less time to spend on the phone. My kids need me in the evening and it isn't fair to them for me to be on the phone all the time for work.

The therapist calls during my childs session. So my dd lost 5 minutes of her session....
If she has 30 clients and never calls then she cannot complain

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 5:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I definitely understand. I hope your situation improves shortly iyh!

It would have been to get a card from parents thanking me for the work I put into their children. One parent just texted me "hi why didnt you send HW over chanukah?" (shes very ontop of her sons doing follow up work at home- I see 2 of her sons).

Maybe im just burned out.

It’s possible you actually are burned out….I’m in this field almost 20 years and I never ever wait for expect tips. This is not why we are in this field-not for thank yous or praise! Yes it’s wonderful to get them and have gotten plenty but I don’t need them one bit. I get fulfilled and rewarded from the job itself and how it makes me feel good

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 5:28 pm
Ot. No tips or gifts. It's ok I don't expect them so I don't get disappointed. I work to help the kids and to earn a paycheck. If the parent doesn't appreciate me it has no bearing on me. That's not what I work for.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 5:34 pm
My children have therapists and this year we did chocolate. That's what we could afford. The tipping list is endless and we have kah many children.

And yes I know many people who don't send cards bc now it's all money money money or it's nebach. So we created our own issue by making stupid standards.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 6:37 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Tone deaf argument - especially in the current inflation environment.

Don’t tell me that only one out of 30 parents can afford to tip, or at least give a donut.
It’s a cop out.

I’m by no means rich myself.
Showing appreciation to teachers is priority.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 6:51 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
OT here. No tips.

My friend said that after giving to all her kids rebbeim, morahs and tutors in the school she had nothing left for OT, speech or outside therapies. It’s really hard when you have a kid who needs a lot of different thing.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 7:35 pm
Sorry but I do not think people think to tip therapists. They are making hourly rates that are good and tip is not expected.
Tip is only thought of for teachers and babysitters.
Your EMPLOYER can give you a gift

I have no gotten any tips in my field and I make similar money to a therapist…
So many speech therapy threads complaining about money I think it’s the same burnt out OP

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 7:40 pm
Thank you for reminding me to check my son’s briefcase- he forgot to give the envelope to his SLP! I was wondering why she didn’t acknowledge..

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 7:47 pm
flowerpower wrote:

I call at the beginning of the year. I bought notebooks for all my students (from my own money) and write a note after every session on what we worked on and any feedback from the session I have. I also require parents to sign the letter showing they have read it, and parents write back to me if they have concerns, or questions about anything. I include the worksheet we worked on that day, and a separate page for HW. I text parents every 3 weeks with an update and I call once a month. What more do you want me to do?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 7:49 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Sorry but I do not think people think to tip therapists. They are making hourly rates that are good and tip is not expected.
Tip is only thought of for teachers and babysitters.
Your EMPLOYER can give you a gift

I have no gotten any tips in my field and I make similar money to a therapist…
So many speech therapy threads complaining about money I think it’s the same burnt out OP

Not the same OP, but I agree with every sentiment in the speech threads. This field is a disaster and there is such a shortage since we make pennies. I dont work september since schools dont want me there, so I basically work 9 months out of the year. And not by choice.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 7:50 pm
amother Viola wrote:
It’s possible you actually are burned out….I’m in this field almost 20 years and I never ever wait for expect tips. This is not why we are in this field-not for thank yous or praise! Yes it’s wonderful to get them and have gotten plenty but I don’t need them one bit. I get fulfilled and rewarded from the job itself and how it makes me feel good

Im burned out at the bad pay. I am hoping to switch to the DOE.
What population do you work with?

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 8:01 pm
Just stopping by to say that I didn't give tips "yet".
Planning to send on Monday.
Not to get your hopes to high, but maybe you'll still get some appreciation.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 8:03 pm
Everyone wants the board of Ed jobs in frum schools so you get of yt and legal holidays etc and now when you realize your salary is not that of an actual full time employee your cry about not getting tips from hard working parents who are paying yeshiva tuition (and therefore are already shelling out loads of money each month for their child’s education). I’m sorry you made your bed, you have to live in it.

Simple1

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 8:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im a SLP in a school and have 30 students on my case load.
I got 2 chanukah gifts

Im just feel under appreciated. I spend so much of my own money on my students and I spend hours doing session notes, annual reviews, paperwork, speaking to parents, texting parents... Especially since this field doesn't pay anything.

It would have been nice to get a thank you card or text....

If a majority don't send, then maybe it's not customary to tip in this field? If you really like the tips, maybe be a teacher instead. But I'm assuming you have reasons you like your current job, so just keep reminding yourself of the benefits. If therapists as a group really want the tips, they should somehow get the school to send out a note to the parents to clue them in. Also, keep in mind that there are many many people working in jobs which get little to no appreciation, and don't give the same level of fulfillment as working with kids.

I agree that the tipping culture is stressful. You can have hakaras hatov without tips and notes. Tips are great and show appreciation. But the opposite shouldn't be true - you can neglect to tip and still show and feel appreciation in other ways. Honestly, I try to tip as much as I can, but have forgotten at times that were hectic and especially with a struggling child who had A LOT of help. I'm sad that I caused the therapist to be disappointed. I do always thank them when I speak to them.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 8:11 pm
My son gets a lot of services. Part of why he gets services is because he is struggles with basic tasks. If I send an envelope for each person, I can't guarantee he gives anyone. I sent one for rebbe and one for seit. He got confused and gave the teacher. I already gave the teacher through pta so she knew it was a mistake. Remember that kids get services have a hard time with basic tasks, let alone a new one. I also don't know which days he has which therapists.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 8:19 pm
I'm sorry to say but this thread reeks of entitlement. I work in an office and honestly I do not get a holiday gift. Lots of people I know don't get gifts either. For some reason the people who are teachers or therapists seem to think that they are owed presents at all times. In the beginning of the year you need to give so that they look at your kid and are good to your kid, then you need to give for chanukah, and then you need to get for Purim, and then for the end of the year. ( And many ppl I know give even more often)
Honestly the tipping has gotten way out of hand. Personally, I gave what the schools asked for but didn't give much else. I still would like to give my daughter's therapist something, but I'll just give it after Chanukah.
Everyone wants to be appreciated, but for some reason when it comes to a therapist and the teachers there's a very big attitude of " they owe me presents".

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 8:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im burned out at the bad pay. I am hoping to switch to the DOE.
What population do you work with?

I do EI for an agency same as you. We work harder as we have to travel from place to place. Maybe I’m really just a moron that I don’t feel a need to complain. I feel grateful to have a job that I really enjoy and fulfills me, no job on earth is absolutely perfect, and we are lucky to have a job at all. And to feel this sense of “ where are my tips??” As a parent of children who have therapists and a therapist myself, I’m shocked for both. Especially especially especially, because of the current financial climate when families are stressed beyond. Even to think oh let them write me a thank you letter you’re right that is very nice even the right thing to do-but maybe assume either the mother doesn’t have the social understanding to do that, is too overwhelmed trying to survive, simply forgot etc. sorry about this I just feel that this post was in really bad taste.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics