Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
S/o adding sugar to gefilte fish
1  2  Next

Reality

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:23 am
A few people on the other thread said they added 3/4 of a cup sugar to their gefilte fish?

Is it common to add in so much extra sugar? I just cut up veggies and sprinkle pepper.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:24 am
I tried with sugar and without sugar, we didn't like it without sugar. I add 1/4-1/2 a cup.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:38 am
I stopped adding sugar. No one complained. When I did, it was maybe 2 Tbsp.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 12:19 pm
I don't add sugar. The brands I buy seem to have plenty of sugar in them already to make them sweet.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 1:01 pm
I cook fish in bulk, slice and freeze portions. After I cooked a few loaves I realized I never added sugar salt or pepper. Was still ok

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 1:50 pm
I add lots of sugar
3/4 cup - but in truth I eyeball and dump

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 2:03 pm
Adding sugar is for those who like the fish sauce. If you dump the sauce then it doesn't make a big difference.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 2:07 pm
1/4 cup

gingleale

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 2:07 pm
Nope. Never. I only buy the fish with no sugar or other sweetener added too.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 2:27 pm
I dump lots of sugar but spill the water after cooking. I don't know how much sugar actually lands in our plates but there is definitely a difference in the taste. Same with salmon.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 2:27 pm
I think traditionally gefilte fish was made with sugar in some countries and without in other countries.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 2:56 pm
Reality wrote:
A few people on the other thread said they added 3/4 of a cup sugar to their gefilte fish?

Is it common to add in so much extra sugar? I just cut up veggies and sprinkle pepper.

I don’t measure how much I put in, but it’s probably 1TBSP or so. I don’t like things super sweet.

CatLady

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 2:59 pm
I don't add sugar to the poaching liquid. I do add cut up carrots, celery and onions as well as a squeeze of lemon juice. The poaching liquid can then be strained, and turned into a chowder for a weeknight treat. I add a sliced carrots, celery and onion as well as cubed potatoes and a handful of frozen corn. Simmer until the potatoes are starting to fall apart. Delish!

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 3:01 pm
amother Brass wrote:
Adding sugar is for those who like the fish sauce. If you dump the sauce then it doesn't make a big difference.

It also gets absorbed by the fish though. It’s not like it stays only in the water. It dissolves into the water, and whatever water gets absorbed into the fish, that’s how much sugar gets absorbed.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 3:03 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't add sugar. The brands I buy seem to have plenty of sugar in them already to make them sweet.

Oh, I should clarify. When I make ge filet fish, it is homemade. My mother in law makes her own, and occasionally (mostly for chaggim) we will get from her. If I make a frozen one from the store (which I don’t think I’ve ever done) I wouldn’t add sugar because they add sugar.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 3:06 pm
Reality wrote:

I used to add because that’s what most recipes call for but I stopped bc I realized it’s sweet enough without any added

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 3:17 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Oh, I should clarify. When I make ge filet fish, it is homemade. My mother in law makes her own, and occasionally (mostly for chaggim) we will get from her. If I make a frozen one from the store (which I don’t think I’ve ever done) I wouldn’t add sugar because they add sugar.

So your MIL doesnt put any sugar in the mixture? Then of course you need in the sauce, Gefilte fish is meant to be at least somewhat sweet. The bought rolls are usually plenty sweet, so you dont need to add sugar unless you want the sauce

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 3:26 pm
I’m Hungarian so I add a good 1/2-3/4 cup of sugar to the water before it bubbles. I also add a sliced onion salt and black pepper. Then I add the gefilta fish roll. People actually love dipping their challah in the liquid when eating the fish.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 4:22 pm
My mother adds 2 cups of sugar. Yes you read that right, 2 cups. Hungarian....
I don't make gefilte fish, only salmon.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 4:24 pm
amother Brown wrote:
So your MIL doesnt put any sugar in the mixture? Then of course you need in the sauce, Gefilte fish is meant to be at least somewhat sweet. The bought rolls are usually plenty sweet, so you dont need to add sugar unless you want the sauce

I’m sure she does…..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen