Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
More frum neighbors? Or cheaper house?
1  2  3  Next

More frum neighbors? Or cheaper house?
Option 1  
 40%  [ 50 ]
Option 2  
 59%  [ 74 ]
Total Votes : 124

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 8:58 pm
Our lease is going to be up this coming year and we need to move. At this point we had enough of renting. We saved up for a down payment and really would like to buy....

If you had to choose between these two choices (assuming there are no options to move anyplace else) what would you pick? (both options are starter homes bec that's what we could afford now)

1- a house in an area with a lot of other Jewish families
Pro - our kids will have lots of neighbors to play with
Con - it will be more expensive then choice 2. While realistically we should be able to afford it, I will have to work a lot more hours (now I work PT ) and be more careful with our spending and etc...

2- live in a neighborhood where everything is more spread out - while we would have a shul to be part of, there are at most 1-2 Jewish families on each block.....(and it probably won't grow significantly)
Pro - since this neighborhood is cheaper I could keep only working PT (I'm more of an introvert and benefit from working shorter hours), have more money for extras and etc
Con - my kids won't neighbors on the block to play with

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 9:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Our lease is going to be up this coming year and we need to move. At this point we had enough of renting. We saved up for a down payment and really would like to buy....

If you had to choose between these two choices (assuming there are no options to move anyplace else) what would you pick? (both options are starter homes bec that's what we could afford now)

1- a house in an area with a lot of other Jewish families
Pro - our kids will have lots of neighbors to play with
Con - it will be more expensive then choice 2. While realistically we should be able to afford it, I will have to work a lot more hours (now I work PT ) and be more careful with our spending and etc...

2- live in a neighborhood where everything is more spread out - while we would have a shul to be part of, there are at most 1-2 Jewish families on each block.....(and it probably won't grow significantly)
Pro - since this neighborhood is cheaper I could keep only working PT (I'm more of an introvert and benefit from working shorter hours), have more money for extras and etc
Con - my kids won't neighbors on the block to play with

Option A

gr82no

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 9:40 pm
Option two. I grew up without neighbors to play with and some of the time it was a bit hard but I was perfectly fine with my siblings and playdates on Sunday.
Is it likely for more yidden to move into the area?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 9:40 pm
I moved to a Frum block and guess what it took at least 5 years before my kids started playing with the other kids on the block.

Some of my kids still do not play with the kids on the block. I spoke to someone who moved a little bit out of the Frum neighborhood and asked why she moved there she told me,

"I moved into my last house because I wanted my kids to have friends in their neighborhood and it did not work out that way, so I said why am I living in a house I don't like if the reason I moved here does not exist."
so she moved to a house she likes. Just because there are a lot of Frum people in the neighborhood does not mean your kids will play with them.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 9:42 pm
I just did option 2 and we are all super happy

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 9:45 pm
Option 2 hands down. You are also a person.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 9:57 pm
If option A grows faster, its a better investment

Your house will double in price fast and your take out equity instead of workIng more

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 9:59 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
If option A grows faster, its a better investment

Your house will double in price fast and your take out equity instead of workIng more

Can you explain how that works?
I always thought that when you take out equity it is in a form of a loan that has to be paid back, so how does that work on helping you work less?

familyfirst

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 10:03 pm
Option b

And your neighborhood will become more Jewish with time

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 10:07 pm
It depends how old your kids are. To lets say a 5 year old, having neighbors across the street is a world of a difference and makes short play dates so easy and also at that semi independent stage (like my 4th grader relies heavily on nearby friends the winter when she she can only be out till dark), but once they are a little older I would go with quieter block.
We did it for a while (lived on a cheaper block without many neighbors) and my kids are so much happier now. Not that finances don’t come first but if you can swing it it makes a big difference at certain ages.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:43 pm
Option B.
Just be okay with driving to friends. I’m assuming it’s a few minutes drive, not a half hour to friends.

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:49 pm
My kids don't play with our close neighbors, their friends happen to live on different blocks. So I would choose option B.

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:34 am
I did option B and I was told would be a while before it grows but guess what people couldn’t afford the in neighborhood so my neighborhood with affordable housing grew a ton.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:39 am
Option B, but it really depends on your kids ages, lifestyle etc and location. Real estate generally goes up and each new frum family generally adds more value to the neighborhood BUT it doesn’t always and you have to be okay with that. Sometimes your kids could connect to the one frum family better than the ones on a block full of yidden. Your kids also have to be ok playing with each other…it’s not fun when a kid complains constantly that he/she needs to be with friends

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 3:08 am
I voted for option 2 because I don’t like being near people, plain and simple.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 3:37 am
How snobby/cliquish are the people in option A. Sometimes the worst is being alone in a crowd.

Not sure what I would do. Will area B grow in popularity and price or will you always feel like you are in the wrong part of town?

STMommy

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 4:42 am
I did option B...it took a few years but a new more right wing shul opened and then the neighborhood exploded with frum people. My kids are at friends houses every single Shabbos BH

Sebastian

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 4:46 am
I would do option 2

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 4:51 am
We chose option B and I regret it all year long. Crossing the street to a friend sounds like no big deal but it really is. It means I have to be much more involved because they can’t cross under a certain age or walk alone in the dark and it also means it has to be more structured there’s a lot less freedom. When the play date it back and forth between backyards on my block I just look out my window to keep an eye on them and they run home when they need something but if it’s a block over I need to make sure the other parents are ok taking responsibility for my kid.

metacognizant

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 4:52 am
Are there non Jewish children on the option B block? I picked our house for affordability, I really liked the house and the property, and it’s extremely close the shul. (As it happens, in my community the frum Jews live farther from shul because they live where they can get school vouchers.) But there are perfectly nice non Jewish children exactly my kids’ ages who live very close to us and they are able to visit them “semi-independently”, as another poster said. I can watch from my kitchen window as my 6 year old or even my 3 year old walks to a friend’s house, and they have a traffic free median to play on outside. Of course my kids have Jewish friends from school and shul. We make play dates with them on Sundays, and when the weather is good we walk to the playground in the Jewish part of the neighborhood to hang out- it’s about a 25 minute walk. I feel like I made the right choice. But if there were not even non Jewish kids for my kids to play with, or I thought the non Jewish kids were a bad influence, I would probably feel differently.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating