Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
6 month old won't sleep more than two hours at night
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:08 pm
tichellady wrote:
either he has a cold or he doesn't. if she's not sure if he has a cold or not then doesn't seem like he has a cold. it's very obvious when babies are sick

OP said that they keep cleaning his nose out and he's sneezing alot. That means a cold and it's very very hard to sleep flat with a stuffed nose. If it's a lately thing, and the baby has a stuffed nose, it's not a reason to sleep train or let the baby CIO. He's not sleeping because he has a cold and can't sleep well.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't think he has a cold. His disposition during the day is fine, he's very smiley and happy most of the time. He sneezes a few times a day and we use the NoseFrida on him maybe every other day.

When I say "cry it out", I mean we took turns holding him, soothing him, reading stories for half an hour until we finally decided to let him nurse.

Thanks for calling me a "not great" parent though. Crying

Ok, that’s not called CIO. I would offer him a sippy cup if your not nursing him though. Although really just nurse him back to sleep. He is 6 months and that’s little still.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't think he has a cold. His disposition during the day is fine, he's very smiley and happy most of the time. He sneezes a few times a day and we use the NoseFrida on him maybe every other day.

When I say "cry it out", I mean we took turns holding him, soothing him, reading stories for half an hour until we finally decided to let him nurse.

Thanks for calling me a "not great" parent though. Crying

Maybe he's hungry and needs to feed.
Would you give a formula bottle when he goes to sleep for the night?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:18 pm
You can also try a dream feed when you go to bed. Nurse him in his sleep.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:19 pm
My baby is this age and has been good during the day and up more at night.
Just want to clarify- when you say up every 2 hours, do you mean baby ends up eating every 2 hours as well? That's what I'm assuming from what you said.
Here's what I have been thinking
-baby may be teething
-have you started solids? baby may need more food

My baby got one tooth and was pretty ok during the day but harder at night while it was coming in, and they say once it's out it isn't painful anymore so you may not know

Also, I haven't done that much solids yet and I see my baby probably needs more food because she is nursing more at night

But I'm sorry OP every 2 hours is hard! My baby has def been up more at night but not every two hours.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:25 pm
Just want to add, I personally do nurse baby whenever baby wakes up (around every 4 hours).. In no way saying what I do is best or superior. I just want to make clear what I do. For me, that is the easiest. My baby eats quickly and settles quickly and we both go back to sleep...

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:26 pm
Hi I didn't read anyone else stuff but I could have written this yesterday.
My baby is 6 months too and sleep has been awful.
At 6 months there is a sleep regression NOT connected to teething and growth spurt that all happen at the same time. My son just teethed back to back first two bottom - awful, growth spurt need more clothes already, and the sleep regression.

Last night I was wiped he wanted to party at 10...I let him and he went to sleep at 11 and I slept until almost 5 am before he woke up again. I was loosing it and miraculously I got a semi decent night.

Just hang in there...

Phoebe31

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 2:34 pm
I have no advice, just want to let you know you're not alone. My 13 month old has always been a horrible sleeper, regardless of what I have done. She went through a lot as a baby including CMPA so I chose not to sleep train her but at this point, I have been going to her at night, nurse her and put her back into her crib, allowing her to cry but checking on her every few mins to be supportive and offer comfort. It's been very hard and I am exhausted while working but it's temporary!
She may just need you at night, it's exhausting but that's what being a parent is. IF you decide to sleep train her, wait until she is healthy.

mikayla18

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 10:05 pm
Im not sure about the cold but I used to feed my baby pretty often during the day to help "sleep train" them. It helped with them not waking up every so often to eat. Also, do you leave your baby for a few minutes to cry? Or cuddle him? Or automatically feed him? I've heard it's helpful to give them an alternative soothe instead of just feeding them. I also would suggest putting a pillowcase of yours or headscarf safely in the crib because it sounds like your baby isn't so comfortable and that might keep your baby calm when they could smell you. Good luck op, not being able to sleep is so hard!

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:19 am
I came on to post just this. Except my baby is already almost 9 mos. I. Am. Exhausted.

But I have a question for all those who say just nurse her back to sleep. While that's what I normally do, when she gets up every 2 hours I don't have enough milk. It takes closer to 3 hours for my body to replenish. I can push 2 1/2 hours, but def not 2. Husband and I take turns holding her and walking around w her until I can nurse again.

What am I supposed to do??

mikayla18

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:21 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
I came on to post just this. Except my baby is already almost 9 mos. I. Am. Exhausted.

But I have a question for all those who say just nurse her back to sleep. While that's what I normally do, when she gets up every 2 hours I don't have enough milk. It takes closer to 3 hours for my body to replenish. I can push 2 1/2 hours, but def not 2. Husband and I take turns holding her and walking around w her until I can nurse again.

Would you try giving her formula right before she goes to sleep the first time? And even throughout the night? That should keep her more full and asleep for longer.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:25 am
mikayla18 wrote:
Would you try giving her formula right before she goes to sleep the first time? And even throughout the night? That should keep her more full and asleep for longer.

At this point, if the problem is that she's hungry, I'd rather start solids. Not sure how well she'll do with formula. She's bh, quite healthy looking and I didn't think she was hungry. She usually stops nursing before I'm emptied out.

mikayla18

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:29 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
At this point, if the problem is that she's hungry, I'd rather start solids. Not sure how well she'll do with formula. She's bh, quite healthy looking and I didn't think she was hungry. She usually stops nursing before I'm emptied out.

At 6 months if she's not eating solids, I'm sure that's an aspect. I think starting her on solids will definitely help with the sleeping. It just seems that she's hungry

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:32 am
if baby normally sleeps well and is crying a lot and not easily soothed I would try tylenol. if baby is always waking up every two hours then I would try sleep training

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:32 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:

Seems like she's hungry and might need more food. I'd either give formula or start solids.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:34 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:

what do you mean you can't nurse again? how do you know that? what happens if you nurse. I doubt your 9 month old actually needs to be drinking milk every 2 hours at night. most babies are nursing for comfort at night at that age not because they need food every 2 hours. I would talk to a lactation consultant if you are nervous about your supply

amother
Cadetblue

mikayla18 wrote:
At 6 months if she's not eating solids, I'm sure that's an aspect. I think starting her on solids will definitely help with the sleeping. It just seems that she's hungry

Shes almost 9 mos. I generally don't start solids before 10 months, but I guess I'll have to try a little "early".

Mikayla, thank you uso mich for your time. I don't want to hijack this thread any further.

LovesHashem

amother Cadetblue wrote:

You're baby is 9 months and you haven't started sólids. You're baby is probably hungry.

My baby was a good sleeper until 5 months and when I started giving her solids she began sleeping normally again. The reccomend to start solids around 4-6 months.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:36 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Shes almost 9 mos. I generally don't start solids before 10 months, but I guess I'll have to try a little "early".

Mikayla, thank you uso mich for your time. I don't want to hijack this thread any further.

Ten months is really late. There's a lot of new studies and information out there. When was the last time you had a little baby?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:39 am
amother Forsythia wrote:
Put him in his crib at bedtime 630/ 7
Close door, DO NOT OPEN DOOR
Don't go back to him till 7am.

Don't worry he'll figure it out

(I'm kidding I would never do this but plenty mothers will )

I know this is a joke but please please don't do this. This is when their neuronal networks are being primed and can have huge ramifications to their emotional regulation abilities.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics