Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Rectal itching, waking dc at night but also during day

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:49 pm
Dc4, has been waking at night from rectal pain. After the second night, I gave pinworm medication, even though I didn't see pinworms. Dc is still waking at random times throughout the night and even early morning, complaining about it. Randomly, dc will even complain during the day.
I took a strep culture, it was negative.
What else could it be?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Dc4, has been waking at night from rectal pain. After the second night, I gave pinworm medication, even though I didn't see pinworms. Dc is still waking at random times throughout the night and even early morning, complaining about it. Randomly, dc will even complain during the day.
I took a strep culture, it was negative.
What else could it be?

Strep. Culture of the throat or of the backside? The bacteria can live in different places.
Maybe ask your pediatrician what is worth considering.
Fwiw, I've used prescription hydrocortisone for rectal itching from hemorrhoids

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:09 am
My son gets this when he eats yogurt! No other dairy but yogurt. It itches like crazy and sometime burns.took a while to figure out.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:11 am
I know kids that had strep there and needed antibiotics. Go have him checked fully. Could also be it was pinworms and it didn’t go away yet. You need to wash all the linen and towels with hot water.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:15 am
amother Brunette wrote:
Strep. Culture of the throat or of the backside? The bacteria can live in different places.
Maybe ask your pediatrician what is worth considering.
Fwiw, I've used prescription hydrocortisone for rectal itching from hemorrhoids

Throat culture
I actually just put otc hydrocortisone on dc, hoping it will give some relief. Why would a 4yr old have hemorrhoids? Is that even possible?

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:17 am
amother OP wrote:
Throat culture
I actually just put otc hydrocortisone on dc, hoping it will give some relief. Why would a 4yr old have hemorrhoids? Is that even possible?

I have dry skin there that causes itching and pain and use hydrocortisone

amother
Moonstone

I'm gonna guess pinworms that didn't go away. We do 2-3 doses

amother
OP

amother Beige wrote:
My son gets this when he eats yogurt! No other dairy but yogurt. It itches like crazy and sometime burns.took a while to figure out.

So interesting. I took this child off yogurt a while ago for a totally unrelated reason. Over Pesach, though, I totally let yogurts. I wonder if that's it. How long will it take to go away??

flyakite

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:18 am
Too much sugar. You might want to try ketoconazole.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:20 am
I never heard of needing more than 1 dose of PinX. I thought it always works the first time. I did wash all the linens and towels in hot water.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:21 am
amother OP wrote:
I never heard of needing more than 1 dose of PinX. I thought it always works the first time. I did wash all the linens and towels in hot water.

Most people need a few doses.

rmbg

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:57 am
Sounds like perianal strep

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 2:07 am
Do you use fresh wipes on him? My kids had this issue from wipes until we changed to kandoo wipes which is free of chemicals.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 6:24 am
amother OP wrote:
They claim it does, but the way it works is by paralyzing the worms so they can be eliminated via stool. It does nothing to the eggs. Since the eggs don't all hatch at the same moment, you need 2-3 doses 24 hours apart to catch all the babies in this batch, and then another 2-3 doses 2 weeks later for the eggs that this batch laid that will hatch then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics